Author Topic: Control Spotify  (Read 1709 times)

Jan

• View Profile
Control Spotify
« on: July 19, 2020, 02:30:07 AM »
Hi there, new user of voxcommando here. With this software is it possible to voice control spotify?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Control Spotify
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
Hi Jan.

There is nothing very sophisticated that we can do with Spotify at this point.  There is no plugin and I'm not aware of any methods for directly controlling Spotify from another program.  The best you can do at the moment is to use mouse and keyboard emulation.  Even there, it almost seems like Spotify designed the UI in a way that makes this difficult on purpose.  For example, they have a key for toggling playback, but not one for play and one for pause.

If you search the forums, you will probably find some existing discussion of this topic.

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
Thanks for your answer!....I understand. Other services like amazon or google music are equally hard to control I guess?

A totally different question: I don't get the difference between the two speech engines. What would be the best solution for German in your eyes? Thank you!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 11:20:30 AM »
The original (non SP) engine is more powerful (supports dictation, and can be trained) and although it supports fewer languages, German is one of them.

But I suggest you try them both.  Depending on your voice and accent you might find SP works better.

There is a pretty thorough explanation of the differences on our wiki.
https://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=FAQ#What_are_the_major_differences_between_the_regular_and_SP_versions_of_VoxCommando.3F

I just had another look at the state of things on the Spotify API front yesterday and it looks like there is some sort of web API that we might be able to use but it will take some time to investigate how to use it and what it can do.  And I'm pretty sure it will only work with the paid version of Spotify.

It's not possible to "control Alexa or Google music", as far as I know, but Alexa and Google Home can both be used to control VoxCommando.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:23:52 AM by jitterjames »

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
Thanks for your answer! Yeah there is a web api. I dont know what you can do with it though as Im not a programmer. Please keep us updated. It would be really awesome if voxcommando could control spotify. I wouldn't need alexa then anymore.