Author Topic: Help with loads/eventghost, for changing cable TV channels  (Read 6489 times)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Help with loads/eventghost, for changing cable TV channels
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:28 AM »
Hi all. I'm back working on this again. Could I modify a click button on a USB mouse without affecting the function of the primary mouse on the computer? I've been looking for economical programmable USB buttons, and there is very little for sale. I could buy something way overpriced from enablemart, or possibly modify a footpedal. A mouse would be easiest if I can differentiate it with the mouse hooked up to the PC.

I've got one of those half decent cheap logitech USB Desktop Microphones that hangs from the ceiling. I'm looking for a way to mount a spare mouse, or button to kill the mic or kill the volume.

Question on Vox. Is it possible to set up command dependencies? For example, could I disable page up/page down unless the system menu command was initiated within the last 10 seconds?

Dependency constraints could easily minimize false positives.
Hi fudgeypants, there are many ways to minimize false positives. One of the best way is to have a good microphone and you can trust me, there is a really big different between a cheap 20$ mic and 100$ mic.
I'm not sure what you mean with "kill" mic or volume, but I think you mean "mute". You can use the prefix-mode in VoxCommando - for example: you set in VC "option menu" -> use prefix mode and configure a prefix phrase like "computer" or whatever you prefer. You can run VC in standby (yellow-mode) and if you want to use a command, say first the prefix  followed by the command. VC will be execute the command only if you say the prefix at first otherwise it ignore it. You can improve it with a event that mute the system volume to a specified level when VC is in on-mode and back to the normal level when it is in standby - we call it "partial mute".
We have also a action in the command-builder - "VC.SingleOn" that you can use in your commands.
I've attached a VC group as example - to use this group activate the "prefix-mode" and set also the "idle time out" in VC Option-menu.

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
I think the mouse button thing could be accomplished with eventGhost but can't say for sure without trying it.

Yes, you can set up dependencies, but it is not so easy to set up, and I don't actually think it will help much with eliminating false positives.  It is essentially accomplished by enabling/disabling groups, which can be done a number of ways. But again, I don't really think it will help.  Some kind of prefix mode, or button system would be better.

Do you want to skype some time with the three of us, to discuss it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:22:45 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »
I just did one test with my mouse and eventGhost, using the genericHID plugin and did not have much success.  I will try again with another mouse.

I think you should be able to pick up a cheap usb game controller and use that (or even find one lying around somewhere....)  I suspect that will be easier, more effective, and less likely to interfere with your other mouse.  Also, might be easier to rewire it to use a custom button that is easier to press.

If you don't mind waiting for the slow shipping, you can get some really cheap on ebay, from china.  Maybe grab two in case you break the first one when experimenting ;)  Or for a little bit more you can probably get something pretty cheap on Amazon etc.

About your usb mic on the ceiling.  How far is it from your mouth?  Anyway to get it closer, and also turn down the sensitivity (input volume)?