Author Topic: Using Vox commando to control Windows  (Read 5612 times)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Using Vox commando to control Windows
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »
Hi all,

First of all, this software is literally mind blowingly brilliant, when I tell my friends what I have achieved so far they don't believe me.  Second of all I am utterly useless when it comes to any kind of Dev style work or understanding anything more technical than programming simple commands, my Voxcommando tree would probably have you all laughing as the level of competency here seems fairly incredible and I have probably taken the long way around most of my macros.

I am using Vox commando 0.942 and Eventghost in conjunction on Windows7 64bit

I would like to be able to say a command such as "behave like Windows Speech recognition" to be able to launch programs browse the web, type text etc etc.  I've browsed around for plugins, and to try to find other people trying to achieve this but I have been unable to find anything.

I have tried to use Eventghost to launch Windows Speech Recognition and then tell Voxcommando to stop listening, but the shortcut I have on my desktop for Windows Speech Recognition does not play nice with Eventghost.  Eventghost says something to the effect of "Not a valid executable".  I'm in the process of trying to find the file path for Windows Speech recognition so that I can try to use Voxcommando's "Launch" command.

I'd prefer to control everything natively in Voxcommando if possible to avoid using Windows Speech recognition altogether but I imagine sitting down and programming every macro for every program on my PC would take an eternity.

So I suppose my question is, how are the rest of you doing it?  If someone has achieved it, or has created endless commands for controlling their PC then could you maybe zip up your vox commando and send it me so that I can strip out you hard work? ;)

I'm sure that most of the above seems fairly imbecillic to anyone that has been using this software for a while, hopefully not.

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Using Vox commando to control Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
Hi all,

First of all, this software is literally mind blowingly brilliant, when I tell my friends what I have achieved so far they don't believe me.  Second of all I am utterly useless when it comes to any kind of Dev style work or understanding anything more technical than programming simple commands, my Voxcommando tree would probably have you all laughing as the level of competency here seems fairly incredible and I have probably taken the long way around most of my macros.

I am using Vox commando 0.942 and Eventghost in conjunction on Windows7 64bit

I would like to be able to say a command such as "behave like Windows Speech recognition" to be able to launch programs browse the web, type text etc etc.  I've browsed around for plugins, and to try to find other people trying to achieve this but I have been unable to find anything.

I have tried to use Eventghost to launch Windows Speech Recognition and then tell Voxcommando to stop listening, but the shortcut I have on my desktop for Windows Speech Recognition does not play nice with Eventghost.  Eventghost says something to the effect of "Not a valid executable".  I'm in the process of trying to find the file path for Windows Speech recognition so that I can try to use Voxcommando's "Launch" command.

I'd prefer to control everything natively in Voxcommando if possible to avoid using Windows Speech recognition altogether but I imagine sitting down and programming every macro for every program on my PC would take an eternity.

So I suppose my question is, how are the rest of you doing it?  If someone has achieved it, or has created endless commands for controlling their PC then could you maybe zip up your vox commando and send it me so that I can strip out you hard work? ;)

I'm sure that most of the above seems fairly imbecillic to anyone that has been using this software for a while, hopefully not.

-P
Hi MrWolf and welcome to VC forum.
A answer for the most questions and how VC works you can find if you click on the Wiki button. The Wiki tutorial is not realy up to date, but for first steps the best. To launch any programm by VC you can use the "launch" command, you can find it in the command builder if you click on the "magic wand". VC itself use the Windows Speech engine and you can use it also to type text by speech.
If you have any question, let us know  ;)

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
to start windows speech recognition you can use an action like this:

Launch.RawParam         c:\windows\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe              -SpeechUX

(That's an action with 2 parameters)

Now WSR will open if it is not already open but it will probably start in "not listening" mode.  You should be able to adjust your windows speech settings to "enable voice activation" or something like that.

I don't use WSR because I found it kind of hard to use. (Which is why I created VoxCommando in the first place!)

I don't know of any way to turn WSR on and off without using voice commands or the mouse so you'll have to research that part yourself.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
Hi MrWolf and welcome to VC forum.
A answer for the most questions and how VC works you can find if you click on the Wiki button. The Wiki tutorial is not realy up to date, but for first steps the best. To launch any programm by VC you can use the "launch" command, you can find it in the command builder if you click on the "magic wand". VC itself use the Windows Speech engine and you can use it also to type text by speech.
If you have any question, let us know  ;)

Kalle

Thanks to both, I have built some commands already, but my difficulty is that I can launch say google chrome, but then how do I navigate it? With windows speech recognition I can say scroll down, and I can select links etc. I was wondering how you guys achieved this with vox commando?

Did you literally build one command at a time for every application you wanted to navigate?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »
No, not for literally every application. You only need one command for page down, or "escape", or "go right 4".  If these commands emulate the keyboard it should work with almost all applications.  But personally when I am browsing the internet or doing something like that, I either use a mouse, or at the very least a remote control with some keyboard emulation.  Since I don't usually have a keyboard (in the living room) I like being able to use my voice to do google searches etc. but then I usually use the remote or mouse after that.  Saying "go down, go down, go down" is tiresome.

I agree that if you want to be able to use windows using only your voice you are going to need to use the built-in Windows speech recognition.  It is just that I would only do that if I had no other choice  - i.e. if I were physically unable to use a mouse.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »
Thank you mate. Exactly the info I needed.

I now have a way forwards with both windows speech recognition, and with Voxcommando. Thanks to your kind and speedy responses.

Thanks to Kalle also.

I am continuing to recommend your product to everyone I speak to.

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »
you may also want to check out:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/wsrmacros

with this you can probably create a macro that will turn VoxCommando on or off using udpsender.exe

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »
Thanks to both, I have built some commands already, but my difficulty is that I can launch say google chrome, but then how do I navigate it? With windows speech recognition I can say scroll down, and I can select links etc. I was wondering how you guys achieved this with vox commando?

Did you literally build one command at a time for every application you wanted to navigate?
I think here is what you need  ;)
1. Import the "VcGrp_Chrome Hot Keys.xml" in your command tree by drag and drop from your folder where you save this xml.
2. save the "dxdirectionEnDe.xml" in the mainfolder of Voxcommando
3. activate the  DxInput plugin in VC, that is important otherwise the commands do not work.

The commands are in english/german - you can edit it for your own language, but if you use a other language as english or german, you must also edit the "dxdirectionEnDe.xml" payload.

I hope it help you  ::wave

Kalle
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:49:37 PM by Kalle »

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
Just a quick thank you for taking the time to help me, been meaning to come say thanks for a while :)

I'm trying to get hold of a Tellstick now so that I can really open this baby up!  Will be awesome when I can tell her to switch the lights off as I leave the room :)

-P

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
Just a quick thank you for taking the time to help me, been meaning to come say thanks for a while :)

I'm trying to get hold of a Tellstick now so that I can really open this baby up!  Will be awesome when I can tell her to switch the lights off as I leave the room :)

-P
Hi MrWolf, if your tellstick accept http requests, you can use the "Open URL" from the "launch" command-tree in command builder.
example: Launch.OpenURL - http://ip adress or webpage that tellstick accept (like: http://192.168.0.10/light1on)
If this work, you can modified the command with close browser or tab after the command is executed. When you have any question how can do this, let us know.

Kalle
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:08:17 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
if it accepts http command a better option might be to use the scrape commands rather than opening a browser.

but if not, then you can always use a command line utility (if there is one for windows) or eventghost.  It looks like there is a tellstick plugin for eventghost.  :D

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Thanks guys, when they get some more stock I shall have a play with it!