Author Topic: Web search issue  (Read 8181 times)

darrenkarp

• View Profile
Web search issue
« on: November 16, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
Hi all,

I think I've configured VC correctly with the link to Google Chrome but a guide would be very helpful as even if I issue a lucky search Google doesn't open.

Any advice?
TIA
Darren

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Web search issue
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:39:33 PM »
Welcome Darrenkarp!

please tell us what version of VoxCommando you are using, and what command you are trying to use.

you should give us both columns of your action (command and parameters).

for example to search for voxcommando I would use

Launch
C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe&&www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&source=hp&q=voxcommando

for it to work on your system you would need to replace james with your windows username, or otherwise modify the path to match the location of your chrome .exe.

the && separates the path to the program from the parameter that gets passed to it, in this case the parameter is the URL.

To be able to search for anything you can replace the word voxcommando with {1} but then you need to make sure that your command has a payload in the tree.  In this case you would use a payloadDictation to be able to search for 'any phrase' or you could use a payload list if you wanted to be able to search from a list of your favourite search terms.

Version 0.845 of VoxCommando has a new command

Launch.OpenURL

which will open a site in your default web browser so you don't need to fiddle with the path.  I am working on packaging a generic version and one for xbmc, but you can get the latest version right now from the MediaMonkey link on the download page.  I don't yet know if this command will work reliably on all systems.

Note that to upload your command so that we can look at what you are doing, you can right click a group and choose export, it will create an xml file in the \export folder with the same name as the group.  You can then attach that to your post.  Maybe I can spot a mistake.

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
James,

Estou usando a última versão 0.845, e não localizei este novo comando Lauch.OpenURL

Wanilton
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:15:30 PM by Wanilton »
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 07:44:17 PM »
James,

Estou usando a última versão 0.845, e não localizei este novo comando Lauch.OpenURL

Wanilton
OK, you got me!  0.846.  Tomorrow!
If you click help or forum on the top right of the main VC window and it works, then the Launch.OpenURL will work for you.

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Can you do a Lucky search in Google using the Launch.OpenURL command?
If yes, how? If no, do you need to build the command using the Launch.RawParam as stated in the earlier replies in this thread?

I am using a Payload Dictation and passing the site name to be searched via {1}.

I'm using VC 0.851 and IE8.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:22:19 AM »
yes, you can do a lucky search with Launch.OpenURL
use the following as a parameter:

http://google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&btnI=1&q={1}+%s

openUrl should use your default web browser.  If you want to use something else then just use the  simple Launch command like thtis:

Launch          pathtobrowser.exe&&http://google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&btnI=1&q={1}+%s

gap

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
hi,

I'm a new satisfied user of VC,
but I got problems with the web search too. ( www.google.de/webhp?hl=de#hl=de&source=hp&q={1} ; "google" as phrase)

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the german payloadDictation or with the URL-Syntax or simply a bug.

It works great if I use only one word. eg: "google München"

But when I try to search for more then one word my browser opens 2 (or more) tabs:
1st one with the google result for the 1st word only, 2nd tab tries to open the 2nd word as url.
eg: "google München Deutschland" opens a google search for "München" and tries to open "Deutschland" as url in another tab.

The historie window of VC seems to be correct though, it shows:
"Launch.OpenURL:www.google.de/webhp?hl=de#hl=de&source=hp&q=München Deutschland"

I tried both Firefox (via OpenURL and RawParam) and Chrome (RawParam), on version 0.851 and 0.872 on Windows 7 (64)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »
I will look at this to see if there is something we can do in code.   It may be that I need to urlencode the string to replace blank spaces with %20

you can also try to use "{1}" in stead of {1}

i.e. put quotes around it.   Let me know if that works.

gap

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »
you can also try to use "{1}" in stead of {1}

i.e. put quotes around it.   Let me know if that works.

Wow. It works! I didn't think of that...
Thank you very much for your quick support!

smokeshow81

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
I'm guessing this would be the best place for a question like this. I have used the Google search and works sweet. Where it chooses the first result of the search and automatically takes you there. I'm pretty new to all this, but is there a URL that I could use to get the same result from youtube? So, I could say, "Youtube Blake Shelton Austin" and it would automatically start playing the first result?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:55 PM »
I'm not aware of anything like the "I'm feeling lucky" button for YouTube.  I know that people has requested it though.

I suppose you could do a YouTube search, delay for a bit and then do something with mouse or keyboard emulation to select the first video.  The problem is that will only work if the YouTube layout stays the same and it seems to change quite often.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
If you want to get fancy, you could do a scrape of the YouTube search page and then find the first appropriate URL and navigate to it!

Anyone up for the challenge?  >:D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »
Actually you can accomplish the same thing by just using Google's lucky search.  Change the URL to this:

http://google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&btnI=1&q=site:youtube.com "{1}"

It's not as much fun as doing a scrape though  :biglaugh

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
If you want to get fancy, you could do a scrape of the YouTube search page and then find the first appropriate URL and navigate to it!

Anyone up for the challenge?  >:D
yep, done  ;)

This work only with google-chrome-browser and you need the followed add-on in the browser: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/keyboard-navigation/abcekjakjehkpheoaadhkjfcdodpjbgk

load the attached "VcGrp_select a entry from youtube search.xml" in your command tree editor and open it - read the desciption in the command

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »
Here's a simple group with google search and lucky search

import the attached group into VC