Author Topic: How to use Kinect microphone  (Read 5170 times)

Snodric

• $upporter
    • View Profile
How to use Kinect microphone
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
I just installed VoxCommando yesterday and first of all want to commend James on this amazing piece of software. I'm very excited about how to merge this voice capability with my home theatre and music setup that I currently have (using Irule).

I'd love to be able to use my Kinect as the microphone. It appears that some people have managed this (albeit with varying results). Could someone please post how to set this up - I looked all over the Forum but noone has done a 'how to' set up the Kinect as the input device for VoxCommando. Thanks in advance.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: How to use Kinect microphone
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
I think you just need to install the Kinect SDK from microsoft and then you can use it like any other windows microphone.  The quality is not very good though, IMO

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/developer-downloads.aspx

Snodric

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »
I'll download it tonight - are there any changes I need to make to VoxCommando to let it know that it should use the Kinect microphone? Is there anyone out there using Kinect that can help with the settings that they are using (that work well)?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »
It will be no different than using any other microphone in windows.  VoxCommando will always use whichever device is set as the default device.

http://blogs.creighton.edu/bluecast/tips-and-tricks/set-the-default-microphone-and-adjust-the-input-volume-in-windows-7/

I think that you will probably want to reduce the input volume of the Kinect to 50% or lower.

Snodric

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
I know this is going to sound REALLY stupid.... but... how do I get the sound from the Kinect sensor into my computer?

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:16:29 AM by xtermin8r »
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
I don't know about Stupid, but it's really VAGUE.  What exactly are you asking?  The sound will travel form the Kinect to your computer on a copper wire as a digital signal, but you don't really need to concern yourself with the details of how that is accomplished. ;)

Just in case you are thinking that you will leave the Kinect connected to your XBOX, that is not correct.  You will need to connect the Kinect to your PC using a USB cable.  The exact details of how to do that may vary somewhat on what version of the Kinect you have.  With a really old version of Kinect this might not even be possible.  With the version I have, the USB cable comes with an adapter that allows me to connect one end to the PC and connect another bit to an outlet, because the Kinect requires more power than a pc can deliver on an ordinay usb port.  With the newest version of Kinect that is designed specifically for PC there may be some other system.

Once the Kinect is plugged in to your PC (windows 7 or higher only), and the SDK has been installed, your Kinect should work like any other USB microphone would work with windows.

Snodric

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
Thanks James - you're right, my question was vague. You correctly identified what I was asking. Namely how to connect the Kinect sensor to my computer. My computer is in a different room from the xbox/kinect. I see two problems : 1. running a usb wire and 2) if I run the Kinect sensor to the computer, I'll lose its' use/value with the xbox. Need to think of something else...