Author Topic: The Microsoft Kinect  (Read 19749 times)

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
The Microsoft Kinect
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
I'd like to submit the Microsoft Kinect as the fantastic microphone for speech recognition.  It has a 4 microphone array with some pretty good noise cancellation.  Since the SDK Drivers have finally been released, you just plug in the Kinect to a PC, install the driver package and you're good to go.

I'm able to use it to near perfection from across the room (~8 meters).  Plus there's the added bonus of being able to do some hand-waving commands :)

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/download.aspx

Current price is $120 on Buy.com

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: The Microsoft Kinect
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »
Really?  Did you do anything special to set it up?  I have installed it and tested it with very poor results.

see here: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=512.0

How does it work when you have music / TV playing ?

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
That's surprising.  I didn't do anything special and I almost always have pretty loud music/tv shows playing and also usually a fan going.

I currently have it setup in my bedroom and not my living room PC with 7.1 surround (going to try it there once I get around to installed Windows 7 on my HTPC).  So right now I have it placed under my 37" monitor in the middle with 1 speaker on either side of the monitor both pointed in the same direction as the Kinect.

I saw your post about the "green zone" and that sounds fantastic.  It could track multiple people and customize commands for each of them.  Hopefully that functionality will somehow be included in a future driver release.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
I ordered a Kinect just now James and I will have it tomorrow noon.
I will then install it using the drivers provided in the SDK and help you test and finetune.
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »
well I hope you get better results from it out of the box than I did.  I actually decided to ignore my real work today and play with the SDK a bit.  I am definitely making progress, but the more I progress the more I despair for the potential of this product.

I'm thinking about this concept of an array microphone now and wondering.  If the microphone is gathing input and doing complex mathematics to isolate sound and form direction "beams" etc., what would happen if one of the four microphones in the array was a little bit "off".  I'm wondering if this could be what is happening to me.  For one thing, the angles that I am getting back are off.  When I am sitting to the left of center it tells me that I am directly in front of the Kinect.  This reminds me why I stopped using raid disk arrays many years ago...  Maybe all this Kinect needs is the ability to recalibrate itself somehow. 

In my opinion this beta SDK is extremely limited, missing important stuff, poorly documented etc.  This is understandable for something very new.  BUT, my fear is that Microsoft won't really follow up with the fixes, features, documentation, expanded language models etc. (i.e. anything other than english) because ultimately there won't be any money to be made from doing all that work.  Hopefully I am wrong.

There are other problems, acoustic echo cancellation, which should prevent your music etc. from going back into the microphone does not seem to work at all.  It is possible that in my case it is not working because I am using digital coax out to my 5.1 amp, but anyone using an htpc is probably going to be using that, toslink, or hdmi audio and having the same problem.

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
I'd be happy to test the angles that the mics are seeing on my Kinect if you'd like.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
If you guys tell me how to look at those angles from my kinect (which I will have tomorrow noon) I'd be gald to share it also.  Keep in mind I'm not a coder/programmer so don't copy-paste some FUNCTION or whatever ;)
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »
lol.  Ok.  I'll send something as soon as it is ready.  I've actually got something kind of stuffed into VC but it reminds me of the stories I heard as a kid of how my Father and Uncle jammed a Chevy V8 engine into an MG B.

My Uncle (R.I.P) also put a V8 into a Lotus.  http://www.lotusbuzz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:16:42 AM »
lol.  Ok.  I'll send something as soon as it is ready.  I've actually got something kind of stuffed into VC but it reminds me of the stories I heard as a kid of how my Father and Uncle jammed a Chevy V8 engine into an MG B.

My Uncle (R.I.P) also put a V8 into a Lotus.  http://www.lotusbuzz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382
Hi Friends,

I have found a free audio software for use with microphones. This is specifically for working with array microphones and hands free mic's. This has a special "NoiseCancelling" process (only for andreaelectronics mic's), but the software works with all mic's.

http://www.andreaelectronics.com/Buy/ProductDesc/AudioCommander6.htm

Greetings Kalle
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:32:16 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »
If only that program worked with the Kinect!  I don't seem to be able to make any adjustments...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
Hi Friends,

I have found a free audio software for use with microphones. This is specifically for working with array microphones and hands free mic's. This has a special "NoiseCancelling" process (only for andreaelectronics mic's), but the software works with all mic's.

Greetings Kalle

What would the purpose of this be though, if you don't have an Andrea Microphone?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 02:06:45 AM »
What would the purpose of this be though, if you don't have an Andrea Microphone?
Sorry, I was noticed, without a microphone of "Andrea" can't be set any noise reduction, but very good is the automatic setting for the microphone level, functions without a "Andrea microphone."

Kalle

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
After reinstalling everything (Windows, Kinect, Vox) I noticed I was getting way worse performance.  I was trying to remember if I did anything differently, and it turns out that the answer was

!

After it turned down the mic volume (which I suppose I could have done manually) I am getting much better results was far less false positives (none yet after 3 hours)

FYI!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »
After reinstalling everything (Windows, Kinect, Vox) I noticed I was getting way worse performance.  I was trying to remember if I did anything differently, and it turns out that the answer was

!

After it turned down the mic volume (which I suppose I could have done manually) I am getting much better results was far less false positives (none yet after 3 hours)

FYI!

;D ;D ;D

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »
Just wanted to chime in again after I have set up my new theater at my new place.

I setup my Kinect on top of my side left speaker on the wall aimed towards the center where the couch is.  Initially it didn't respond super well to me unless i talked like a robot, and would hardly ever get my roommate or his girlfriend.  Well, after doing 3 voice training sessions on the buillt-in software in windows, it gets what I say with 95%+ confidence and my roommate and his girlfriend with 90%+.  I have yet to have a false positive and I've been using it for about a week everyday.  Just wanted to say it is possible!  This is just with setting the mic volume to about half, and with Vox in standby mode with a 2 word prefix.

Still loving the software.  Amazing work and upgrades, James!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 04:02:39 AM »
Just wanted to chime in again after I have set up my new theater at my new place.

I setup my Kinect on top of my side left speaker on the wall aimed towards the center where the couch is.  Initially it didn't respond super well to me unless i talked like a robot, and would hardly ever get my roommate or his girlfriend.  Well, after doing 3 voice training sessions on the buillt-in software in windows, it gets what I say with 95%+ confidence and my roommate and his girlfriend with 90%+.  I have yet to have a false positive and I've been using it for about a week everyday.  Just wanted to say it is possible!  This is just with setting the mic volume to about half, and with Vox in standby mode with a 2 word prefix.

Still loving the software.  Amazing work and upgrades, James!
Hi fattybunter, happy new year  ;)
You'll also be understood if in the background playing music or a movie?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »
hey FB.  Thanks for the positive feedback.  Great to hear   ;D

I take it you are using the normal version of VC and not VoxKinecto?

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
As long as it's not super load and I speak up just a tad it has no problem even if I'm saying it from across the room.  I do have to pause it if i'm blasting music or a movie though.  I can put together a video if you'd like

Yep, it's the normal version of Vox.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »
yes I would LOVE it if you posted a youtube video!  :clap  Thanks.

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
Alright, I'll do that when I get home.

Warning: My two-word prefix is a little PG-13.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
it's probably ok but if you can change it to something rated 'G' without breaking it that might be better  :P

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
Alright here's a short video.  Doesn't really do it justice since my roommate wasn't home and the volume was really loud one of the times i tried to say stop.  

&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »
Alright here's a short video.  Doesn't really do it justice since my roommate wasn't home and the volume was really loud one of the times i tried to say stop.  

&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Hi fattyburner, looks as if it works well, even at relatively high volume (my neighbors would kill me  ::club)

Kalle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
Hey, pretty good!  I wonder if you could use Kinemote to lower the volume when you raise your hand.  I'm not sure if it works when you are sitting down.

If you are comfortable, please make the video public so maybe some new people will discover it.  If you prefer to keep it private that's OK too though.  Thanks for taking the time to make it!  It's hard to think of all the possible commands when you are making a demo right?  I know all about that...

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »
Hey, pretty good!  I wonder if you could use Kinemote to lower the volume when you raise your hand.  I'm not sure if it works when you are sitting down.

If you are comfortable, please make the video public so maybe some new people will discover it.  If you prefer to keep it private that's OK too though.  Thanks for taking the time to make it!  It's hard to think of all the possible commands when you are making a demo right?  I know all about that...
News from Microsoft: I read, in february 2012 Microsoft bring out a kinect for Windows, it cost 240$, but I don't know it is the same one as the XBox version. Crazy, the kinect for Xbox cost the half.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 10:02:23 AM »
I am pretty sure it will not be worth the $$ !

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
made the video public (sorry for the delay)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/discover/features.aspx#

"One of the many improvements to the Kinect for Windows SDK is improved skeletal tracking, which lets developers control which user is being tracked by the sensor. In addition, the latest Microsoft Speech components, along with an improved acoustic model significantly improve speech recognition accuracy."

Does this mean you can finally leverage the 4 microphone array noise cancellation features?

Im gonna post another video too because I've added some more really cool features

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
nope.  Are you looking to drop $250 more bucks on a new device that probably isn't really any better?

This thing still only works with English for one thing.  There were a lot of other major flaws in the beta sdk that they aren't mentioning. There are many other reasons why I'm not very optimistic about it.  I also am not planning on spending $250 to buy the new version and then wrestle with a new sdk just so I can see if it is any better, when I seriously doubt that it will be.

I'm also not sure about licensing issues.  I would have to do some searching to find out what the situation is with that.

Thanks for making the video public, and I look forward to the next one!

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »
the new SDK works with the original kinect as well, the only difference being that the old kinect doesn't support "near" motion.  Totally not worth $250, I agree.  I just happened to have a leftover kinect when my roommate moved out.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »
Oh.  I got the impression you needed the new hardware to use it.  Well, I'll keep it in mind for a rainy day, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
Here's a second video of my setup using the kinect.  The constant refocusing is REALLY annoying so sorry in advance.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »
Great job!

It is a shame about the focusing, but it doesn't really matter.  On my Canon point and shoot camera, which shoots 720p video, there is an option for manual focus when shooting videos that can help a lot in situations like these.    Locking the exposure would be nice too but I haven't figured out how to do that on mine.

mrxeon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
Hi Fattybunter, my name is Fabio, I live in Brazil.
I loved your video and would like to know more about automation of the lights ..
I have switch that is triggered by remote control television, it turns on and off the room light.
I searched some information on how to use the Internet voxcommando + USB-UIRT to, on and off the room light, but was not successful.
What do I need to work?
What are the configurations and equipment do I need??
Thank you for your attention ..
I spend my email feel free to respond ..

mr.xeon@ig.com.br

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:45 AM »
Hi Fattybunter, my name is Fabio, I live in Brazil.
I loved your video and would like to know more about automation of the lights ..
I have switch that is triggered by remote control television, it turns on and off the room light.
I searched some information on how to use the Internet voxcommando + USB-UIRT to, on and off the room light, but was not successful.
What do I need to work?
What are the configurations and equipment do I need??
Thank you for your attention ..
I spend my email feel free to respond ..

mr.xeon@ig.com.br
Hi Fabio, what you need to control your lights with VoxCommando and USB-UIRT is follow.

Version 1:
1. VoxCommando
2. USB-UIRT
3. Eventghost (you can download it from here: http://www.eventghost.org/downloads/EventGhost_0.4.1.r1544_Setup.exe) EG has a USB-UIRT plugin)
4. A powermid to receive the IR-signal and transmit the RF-signal to your wireless light switch http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=powermid+xs&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apowermid+xs&ajr=2

Version 2 (is a solution without a USB-UIRT):
1. VoxCommando (in VoxCommando is a special plugin for HALX)
2. HALX you can find here: http://halx.co.uk/

for both solutions it is important your wireless switch work with the same RF frequencies as Powermid or HALX (315MHz or 433MHz)

Info about HALX: it can learn IR and RF signals from many devices and also send the signals, it has a small web server implemented to configure it over Network, see link above.

I hope I have not confused you  ;)  , but for your core question - the Version 1 is what you need.  :D

Kalle
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:27:31 AM by Kalle »

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 05:20:08 AM »
Hi Fabio, what you need to control your lights with VoxCommando and USB-UIRT is follow.

Version 1:
1. VoxCommando
2. USB-UIRT
3. Eventghost (you can download it from here: http://www.eventghost.org/downloads/EventGhost_0.4.1.r1544_Setup.exe) EG has a USB-UIRT plugin)
4. A powermid to receive the IR-signal and transmit the RF-signal to your wireless light switch http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=powermid+xs&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apowermid+xs&ajr=2

I had the Powermid for some time and switched to the One For All HC8300 Light Control, which works better (for me). For example with the Powermid I couldn't use my self-learning Intertechno light-switch, but with he HC8300 I can... With the "normal" RF-Sockets both work fine. :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
Hi Fabio, I think you first need to look at what kind of home automation devices are available to you in Brazil.  If you find something that looks good, come back to us and we can see if there is a way to control it with VoxCommando.  Good luck!

fishware

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'm a liitle bit confused about the Kinect Sensor. If I looked at ebay I found different Sensors.
The productfotos makes not better.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kinect-Sensor-original-Microsoft-fur-Xbox-360-TOP-/400829392954?hash=item5d534b283a:g:Kh0AAOSwQiRUlsKE
vs.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Xbox-One-Kinect-Sensor-2-0-WIE-NEU-mit-Garantie-/252137131567?hash=item3ab48b4e2f:g:A-kAAOSw~bFWKTgQ
vs.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Microsoft-Xbox360-Kinect-Sensor-ohne-Netzteil-Microsoft-Xbox-360-/251783281359?hash=item3a9f73facf:g:uOMAAOSwwTlUrBHH
vs.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/XBOX-ONE-KINECT-SENSOR-2-0-von-MICROSOFT-NEUWERTIG-/321898301458?hash=item4af2a24812:g:yPQAAOxyTMdTO8Sf

May be its differ only the color, but I can't see this clear. The next thing is, that most of them are provided for X-Box. I also read, that a adapter and/or a powerplug is necessary. Is this correct?

Is there an unique productcode, or other characteristics to identify the correct one?

Thanks in advanced, fishware

ps. Is anyone out there, how sell a device, or can give me a good hint where I can buy it . Second hand would be my favor.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
If you want to use it with VoxCommando you need to buy a Kinect for 360.  Do not get one made for "Xbox One".

Yes you need to get one that as a usb power adapter because you can't normally power the Kinect from a PC USB port.  I think the Kinect uses about 5 watts of electricity at all times.

When I bought mine (new) it came with a power adapter.  Maybe you can ask the sellers on ebay to send you a photo of the connectors.

They look like this:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:49:32 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »

fishware

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »
And another time thank you for the incredible speed of reply. Do you typing above lightspeed?  ::wiggle
I will read and study your hints and maybe click after all of a purchasebutton.

Thank you JJ

kind regards chris

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
Für 30 EUR würde ich meine verkaufen - diese funktioniert mit VC  ;)

fishware

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 01:59:20 AM »
3...2...1... meins.

Gekauft.