Poll

Do you care if we remove support for Eden in the next version of VoxCommando?

Go ahead, I only use Frodo.
11 (91.7%)
I use Frodo, but it might be nice to still have the Eden option.
0 (0%)
I care. I'm still making the transition to Frodo.
1 (8.3%)
I don't want to switch to Frodo.
0 (0%)
What is XBMC?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 30, 2013, 09:16:21 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Removal of support for XBMC Eden  (Read 4538 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Poll: Removal of support for XBMC Eden
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:21 AM »
If no one responds to this poll, we will remove support for XBMC Eden. The reason we want to do this is to make it easier and less confusing for new users to configure VoxCommando. Also, we will probably have to start dealing with XBMC 13 (Gotham) soon ...

If you are still using Eden, please respond on this thread to let us know why, as well as whether you plan to upgrade soon or not.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Removal of support for XBMC Eden
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
My option isn't listed!
Cause I love VoXcommando and have everything working the way I want and too scared to mess with it all! :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
My option isn't listed!
Cause I love VoXcommando and have everything working the way I want and too scared to mess with it all! :)

OK, Thanks for the input, but you can still select the option "I don't want to switch to Frodo."  It may not fully convey ALL your feelings on the subject, but I think it is still more or less accurate. :)

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »
Ah well honestly I didnt see any large leaps in functionality to compel the Frodo move and the JSON thing did provide apprehension, plus seems w/ each iterative release since Camelot initial audio setup got harder :P I was probably giong to wait til Gotham but honestly VoxCommando is my critical path for my migration, so if you move I will move. 

Mark Norville

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »
Personally I do not see why people should still be on Eden for anyway? Maybe that is down to people using modified Xbox's or maybe very slow computers. When you update from Eden to Frodo, then you do not loose your XBMC database etc, your movies are still there. So people really should try updating when a new version comes out.

Obviously new XBMC users will be on the latest version of XBMC, but maybe you can just have it so that on Vox Commando XBMC Eden and XBMC Frodo but then it some respect's in the end you will have three different lot's of data possibly one for each update.

If Eden users are really that worried about not upgrading to Frodo and beyond, then really do they need to keep updating VoxCommando and just keep on the version that works best for them?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
If you are using VoxCommando, and you have made a lot of customizations, then upgrading to Frodo is actually a big deal because you need to redo any of your custom commands to work with Frodo.  If you are just using the default configurations then it is not too hard to switch.

It is true that users who want to stick with Eden will be able to simply stay on an older version of VoxCommando, but there maybe other features released in a new version of VoxCommando that compel them to upgrade to a new version of VC.

I don't want to pull the rug out from anyone (the way XBMC did when they removed the old api before the new one was even finished) which is why I am asking for feedback before I remove the old code for XBMC Eden.  It is not critical that I remove it at all, but I think it will make it less confusing if we can get rid of the XBMC menus from Eden.

So, let us say that I will be removing it soon, but I will release at least one more update to VC before I remove support for Eden.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
Well i finally did it! :) Upgraded to frodo 12.2 and the latest VC on the forum.
Getting my XBMC install to work was strangely the worst and very brutal part, The VC works great, and was shockingly seemless. Most of my core stuff is there, but I need to vet some stuff and some of my home theatre is down because I'm pending a move.
Smartlists work easier than before. I was using a VM and reslammed so voice recognition seems a bit over sensitive that I'll need to work on but thats likely an OS problem.
Thanks to all for testing and obviously James, I hope to comb through some of the new plugins and feature sets and get any of my bells/whistles up (onkyo, samsung tv...etc)
Still need to get my auto library script updated to Json but relieved VC was much easier than I feared.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
Glad to hear it.  Good timing too since I will probably be phasing out support for Eden VERY soon.  Thinking about stopping work on version 1 (except for major bug fixes as they may be discovered) and starting work on version 2 which will not support EDEN.