Author Topic: Voice-controlled lighting  (Read 14743 times)

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
Re: Voice-controlled lighting
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
would it not require some kind of modification to the firmware to get it to work?  Have you tried it?

I am using the halx / Hali / Unimote to control a RS232 Dali Lighting Controller. no modifications are required to the firmware.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
I don't have much experience with serial communication, but I guess the serial interface pretty much always boils down to just sending the correct character strings?  If that is the case, I guess it would be safe to say that it will work, even if you haven't tested it and all you need to do is figure out the correct strings to work with this serial devices, and then to create custom web pages that can send these strings.  What does a Unimote URL look like when sending serial commands to Dali?  What if you need to send unusual characters outside of the usual ascii set?

Assuming you can send any command to the Z-Wave network using this serial device, I believe there there will still be a big difference in what is possible unless we can find a ways for Unimote to handle feedback from the Z-wave system.  Devices can be polled, or may announce information when something changes.  The status of each device can be stored and displayed, and Vera has some nice free apps that are ready to use without any extensive configuration that allow you to see the status of everything in your zwave system, with sliders for dimmable lamps etc., and show you your IP cameras as well if they are supported.  Devices can be assigned to rooms, and most of this can be done without extensive configuration beyond simply adding the device and assigning it a room.  Macros, scheduling, scripts, plugins, etc. Vera can do a lot of stuff on it's own, without user interaction.  It can interface with alarm systems, keep track of sunrise and sunset etc.  Well, with all that said, Vera is far from being perfect itself, and if you want to do anything complicated it quickly becomes a time consuming challenge.  but we like that right? ;D

It all comes down to what the end user's needs are.

Personally I am thrilled to have both devices and that they play well together.  One thing I have been meaning to try, but have not yet gotten around to, is using Unimote as an IR receiver to trigger events/scenes on my VeraLite.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
Grüß dich!

I don't have much experience with serial communication, but I guess the serial interface pretty much always boils down to just sending the correct character strings?  If that is the case, I guess it would be safe to say that it will work, even if you haven't tested it and all you need to do is figure out the correct strings to work with this serial devices, and then to create custom web pages that can send these strings.

Correct

What does a Unimote URL look like when sending serial commands to Dali?

http://192.168.0.67/dali.cgi?cmd=158100

What if you need to send unusual characters outside of the usual ascii set?

maybe this will help http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/ASCII-HTML-Characters/

Assuming you can send any command to the Z-Wave network using this serial device, I believe there there will still be a big difference in what is possible unless we can find a ways for Unimote to handle feedback from the Z-wave system.

I agree.

The status of each device can be stored and displayed, and Vera has some nice free apps that are ready to use without any extensive configuration that allow you to see the status of everything in your zwave system, with sliders for dimmable lamps etc., and show you your IP cameras as well if they are supported.  Devices can be assigned to rooms, and most of this can be done without extensive configuration beyond simply adding the device and assigning it a room.  Macros, scheduling, scripts, plugins, etc. Vera can do a lot of stuff on it's own, without user interaction.  It can interface with alarm systems, keep track of sunrise and sunset etc.  Well, with all that said, Vera is far from being perfect itself, and if you want to do anything complicated it quickly becomes a time consuming challenge.  but we like that right?

Nice.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:22:57 PM by xtermin8r »
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.