Author Topic: Voice-controlled lighting  (Read 14746 times)

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Voice-controlled lighting
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
I have an IR blaster (USB-UIRT) hooked up to my HTPC that I use to control my projector screen, my receiver, and my projector all via Vox voice commands. 

I'm wondering if anyone uses/has used/knows of a good IR-controllable light switch? Or I suppose something RF-controlled would also work if there was a plugin for EventGhost or something.   I want to be able to say "Computer, lights off" :)   

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Voice-controlled lighting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
I don't know any IR-controllable light switch, but there are some IR-RF-Converter.
I for example use "One for all Light Control Starter Kit HC8300" which works fine with my Intertechno RF-light-switch and sockets.
as an alternative there is the "jbmedia light manager", but it is way more expensive.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
it really comes down to how much you are willing to spend, how many things you want to control, and how reliable it needs to be.  The cheapest solution I know of is x10, but it is not the most reliable.

HALX is going to be awesome when it comes out, but it's not available in north America yet, and it's probably a bit expensive if you just want to control one light.

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I went with this:  http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MIR-600THW-WH-600-Watt-Infrared-Receiver/dp/B000JJYJMM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328820129&sr=8-2

It was cheap, easy, got good ratings and still works as a switch :)  Although I am definitely open to buying something else as well.

I think once I move into a home of my own I'll move to the more elegant/behind-the-scenes solutions.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:31:46 PM »
That looks like a good choice for now.  You definitely want something that works manually.  There is nothing worse than not being able to turn your lights on or off due to technical difficulties!

I'm interested in the Z-Wave products but I find the price a bit prohibitive.  The basic design concept seems very smart though.

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
The Z-wave products look great.  Is there a way to tie them into Eventghost/Vox?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
good question!  I'm not sure.

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »
Well it worked out great.  I have my IR blaster (USB-UIRT) aimed at about a 170 degree angle to the IR reciever on the light switch and it still somehow works perfectly.  I'll post a video involving everything soon!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
glad to hear it!  how far is the switch from the blaster?

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »
I'd say about 4 feet

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
I'd say about 4 feet
My USB-UIRT work at 10 feet with out no problems  ;)
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
The Z-wave products look great.  Is there a way to tie them into Eventghost/Vox?

Yes.  If you have a Vera3 or VeraLite (which I have) then you can control all your zwave stuff directly from VoxCommando.

It's possible with the current version of VoxCommando using the scrape command, but I am working on a Vera plugin that will extend the functionality and make it a bit easier to work with.

I'll be posting a demo and the plugin relatively soon.

Telorast

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
I use a tellstick duo (cost ~70€) and lights from Nexa (cost ~20€ but only available in Sweden it seems). EvenGhost got a Telldus plugin allowing me to control them through Vox Commando.
So I can just say "Dim lights" and the lights are set to 20% brightness or any other command I want to implement.

Since the setup allows free control of the lights from the computer I can also make sure the hallway lights are on when I come home or turn the roof lights off from bed.

It also lets me control the lights from my phone, there is a premade plugin for Unified remote and I can also make my own in Tasker and send the commands to EventGhost that way.

As an added bonus I can use the radio remotes with 30m range to control my computer and link any task in EventGhost.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:36:43 PM by Telorast »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 04:10:57 AM »
I use a tellstick duo (cost ~70€) and lights from Nexa (cost ~20€ but only available in Sweden it seems). EvenGhost got a Telldus plugin allowing me to control them through Vox Commando.
So I can just say "Dim lights" and the lights are set to 20% brightness or any other command I want to implement.

Since the setup allows free control of the lights from the computer I can also make sure the hallway lights are on when I come home or turn the roof lights off from bed.

It also lets me control the lights from my phone, there is a premade plugin for Unified remote and I can also make my own in Tasker and send the commands to EventGhost that way.

As an added bonus I can use the radio remotes with 30m range to control my computer and link any task in EventGhost.

Hi Telorast, nice configuration.
By the way, you can also use the app VoxWav for your android device, this allows you to use your phone as a comfortable WiFi mic and remote for VoxCommando. http://voxwav.wikispaces.com/

Nexa looks like the same as http://intertechno.at/ there is also a LAN-Gateway available http://www.funkschalter-intertechno.de/Intertechno-ITGW-433-LAN-Gateway:::20.html?XTCsid=0bfilnkauniq1aev5qppcqopp0. A other option is the HALi controller http://lifetek.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=13&pid=15#pid15 which can control devices with RF and IR and there is also a plugin for VoxCommando available.

Kalle
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:43:28 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
A other option is the HALi controller http://lifetek.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=13&pid=15#pid15 which can control devices with RF and IR and there is also a plugin for VoxCommando available.

thanks kalle.

I think my solution is much better.

http://lifetek.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=13&pid=15#pid15
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.