Author Topic: Internet radio  (Read 2603 times)

cycleops

• View Profile
Internet radio
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Hi,

Is there a way to play internet radio stations?  E.g.:  iTunes / Radio / Jazz / Absolute Jazz

Thanks in advance.

New to voxCommando, but loving it!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Internet radio
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
I don't use iTunes much, but I think you should be able to put a radio station into a playlist by itself and then request that playlist.  Let me know if it works and if not I'll try to figure something else out.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
I tested this, and it works fine.  Hopefully it's a good enough solution for you.

cycleops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
I don't use iTunes much, but I think you should be able to put a radio station into a playlist by itself and then request that playlist.  Let me know if it works and if not I'll try to figure something else out.

Yes, that works.  Thanks.

At the risk of going seriously off topic:  I'm actually not an iTunes user either.  I usually use WinAmp, but perhaps I should switch?
I use WMC for vids and TV because I record tv with a Hauppage PVR and then use xBox 360s as (cheapish) "extenders" to watch tv (and recordings) in different rooms.  But WMC is pretty crappy and its library gets corrupt all the time, so I use a different client tool for music in my den.  I picked WinAmp without much research, but it seems pretty good.  Do you think I should switch?  Any recommendations?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
yes mediamonkey rules.  It's also the best fit for VoxCommando.  iTunes is OK for some people, but I don't like it.  The only reason I have it is because I have an ipod.

XBMC is pretty nice for video music and photos and has nice skins and lots of addons, but I'm not sure how stable the pvr situation is with it.  I know that it is supported in the latest builds though, and in the skin Aeon MQ3 there is pvr support as well.

MediaPortal is supposed to be really good for PVR stuff (in fact I think maybe XMBC is actually tapping into the mediaportal PVR server) and we are working on a plugin for mediaPortal that should give you decent control, but it will probably be a while before it is as well supported in VC as XBMC is.

If you need to automate any of this stuff in a way that VC can do, or control it with a remote etc. then use EventGhost.  VC and eventGhost talk to each other and get along nicely.