Author Topic: Any iTunes Users?  (Read 6140 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Any iTunes Users?
« on: September 04, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
So I guess no one is currently using VoxCommando with iTunes eh?  (oops a bit of Canada slipped out there)

Well, if anyone is interested, let me know.  The current functionality is very limited, but a lot more can be done with it.

I made a stand-alone version* that got scrapped, but as you can see from this video, I have a lot of the code figured out.  It is just a matter of squeezing it into VC

&feature=player_embedded

* by stand alone, I mean that it only ran with iTunes, nothing else, and you didn't need to use EventGhost or any other intermediate software.  I scrapped it because I didn't want to have to maintain multiple programs, and make changes to both everytime I came up with a new feature.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:48:56 PM by jitterjames »

Shodan

• View Profile
Re: Any iTunes Users?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
Hi,

I don't really use itunes for media, only for updating my iphone.
I use xbmc for music and video but I sure someone out there would find it a good addition

Regards

Shodan

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »
Same as me.  I use it to update my ipod touch.  But only for video, photos, application backups etc.  I use mediaMonkey to manage my music, even on my iPod.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
I am working on expanding the iTunes capabilities and hope to upload something here within the next few days.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
I use iTunes almost exlusively for my Music needs + I use the iPod function on my iPhone all the time since it is connected to my car radio and I Ice Skate 3 times a week aswell so then also i lpay music on my iPhone.
Is there a way for vox to check if iTunes is running ? (I'm at work currently, otherwise I would have searched first)
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »
I don't think there is currently a way to check if iTunes is running.  What is the purpose/application?

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:50:51 AM »
Well it would not be usefull for me to say play song X when iTunes is not running ;)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
please try to give me us much info as you can about what you want to accomplish.  If you want to know if itunes is running you can look to see if it is in the taskbar and then you will know to keep your mouth shut.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
The point of having voice control is to control your computer or programs while not sitting behind them and thus not seeing the taskbar.

As I'm at work and didn't think much of it I was hoping you could answer this quickly.
Seems like you need alot more info for what I thought would be something basic.

When I'm home I'll try and figure it out, you can forget this question as it was not my intention to make conversation about it.

Regards
Auri

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
I just want you to tell me what you want, what is the situation, what would you like to do as a person, and how you would like the computer to respond to that.  You are not really telling me anything specific and I can't read your mind.  It is my intention to help, but I can't without knowing more.  You want to know if itunes is running.  What does that mean.  Do you want to be able to say "is itunes running?" and have VC say yes or no?  Maybe you'd like VC to ignore you when you ask it to play a song if itunes is not running.  Maybe you would like it to open itunes and start playing the song (this is currently what happens) or if you use your imagination you'll see that they are about 10 other things that you might have intended.  Unfortunately I cannot read minds.  I spend a lot of time helping people on this forum and I can't help but get annoyed when people wast a large amount of my time in order to save a few seconds of their own.  It is the same concept as a bug report.  YOu can't just say "it doesn't work" and expect to get an answer.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »
anyway Auri, I'm obviously in a bad mood today  >:(, and I don't mean to take it out on you.  I was actually trying to write concisely without emotion but I think I am coming off as being fairly bitchy. :o

But if you can try to paint me a picture I will try to find a solution.  I hope the ultimate goal here is still to have fun.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
No worries, I have more days like that then I'm willing to admit.

My point was not to bore you with my fantasies of creating some cool AI that will obey my every command.
I was just wondering if there was already a function in place that could check if a program was already running or not, what I would then do with that function would be up to me.

In this case I would just like to say "is iTunes running" and vox would replay yes or no, and in another situation I would ask "play song x" where vox would then try and play it and if itunes was not started to start it and then play it.

I was kinda expecting from you a "yes" or "no not currently" answer, and wouldn't query for much more after, you tend to want to help people to much in finding out what they exactly want todo with the function and thats fine ofcourse, to "tailor"-help someone.

In short I was just wondering if the concept of such a check was currently present in vox.  I'll try and be more clear next time.
And again I would have tested it all first if I was not at work, before asking you questions about it ...

I'm a system and network admin I know all about troubleshooting and bug reports and "it does not work" ... so I would never place myself at the other end (at least not intentionally)

best regards
Auri
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:06:54 PM by Auri »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »
OK.  Not currently.  But I can add an action that checks if a process is running very easily, also it is possible to know which program has focus, and to switch groups of commands on and off based on that.  and when I say currently, I mean the latest version, which I have not released to the general public yet.

The problem is that there is no way to apply conditional logic yet.  That is something I have been mulling over in my head for a long time now and I haven't figured out the best way to do it.  So although I could create a command that returns true or false, turning that into a meaningful response, or acting on the info in a customized way is not really possible yet.

I always like to gather as much info from users so that I can:

1) find a clever way to accomplish what they want (I consider myself to be quite good at this).
2) be able to tell you "ah, no you don't want to do that, this would be better..."
3) better understand the needs of my users in order to plan for a better product in future releases.

or some combo of all 3

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
Yeah thats a logical way of thinking.

And thanks for the answer (the short version ;) )

I'll figure out my XBMC first and setup vox the way I want for XBMC then i'll worry about what I want todo with iTunes.

Regards
Auri