Author Topic: PVR system  (Read 1353 times)

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
PVR system
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:19:52 AM »
Hi all VC forum members. I hope that someone here will be able to help me (after the laughing potentially has stopped) This might seem like a very simple question but I dont know anything about this topic and with a fair ammount of time spent I also seem to be asking google the wrong questions :)

I have no clue to PVR systems except from what I have seen and read online. However my question is as follows:

Q) how do you have to set up your PVR PC for (i hope this is the right term) encrypted TV aka TV channels that you require a set top box or decoder for? Is it just a matter of taking the output from a decoder\set top box to your PVR systems INPUT and then from there if your tv tuner card allows to use its output to your TV. Or do you bypass the output from tv tuner to tv thing altogether and just use your as eg xbmc machines with an add-on to watch TV from there on out?

My main focus here is to clarify how you use the encrypted signals. The free to view\air makes sense but the not something that you run through a set top box or decoder.

Any reading material or youtube clips would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: PVR system
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »
Hi mdsh, to decrypt a TV signal you need a TV-Card for your pc with a CI-module (common interface module) http://www.digitaldevices.de/english/DD-DVB-Komponenten.html
but how you setup this in WMC or XBMC is out of knowledge  :bonk  but I think MrWolf can help.

In my case I use a normal cablebox and control it with VC over a IR/RF controller (HALX) that can transmit IR signals (USB-UIRT or iTach works also). If you take a look in this video, you can see it in action (you can skip to 1:30) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhhmWdd02Vc
***********  get excited and make things  **********

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: PVR system
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
Thank you Kalle, I will have a look at those two links today and gather as much info as I can.

Thanks again for your help... I am feeling very lost with this topic indeed  :bonk