Author Topic: Amulet Devices. Advice please.  (Read 1575 times)

llennellv3

• View Profile
Amulet Devices. Advice please.
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
Maybe someone here can help me. Since support is pretty much non existent in the Amulet website. I had been using my amulet remote as a mic, and as an MCE remote. Recently I tried to get it to learn IR signals from my Samsung remotes (3 interchangeable remotes.) I tired one, wouldn't work, the next, and the next. The remotes worked fine with my TV, so I was confused. I left my Amulet charging overnight. The next day I took the battery out of it, to make sure it' would "reset" even tho it would always, only learn, my TV remote's "Power" button...but NOTHING else. I played with it, and tried lots of things. I figured since it learned my power button every time, that maybe it just didnt like the other buttons on the remote.

I tried to get Amulet to learn my TV'remote's power button on other Amulet buttons besides the (silver) "TV" button. Amulet would not learn it in any other button. So I tried getting the (Silver) TV button on Amulet to learn something else than "Power." I tried Source, Volume, 3D, and Menu. Every time , the Amulet would pick each right up. So I guess only my silver "TV" button works on my amulet...? The other buttons make the Amulte's light come on and everything. The difference is that after a few seconds the light turns yellow when "learning" like it wasnt seeing any signal from my other remotes. I have tried all the way from 1 inch away from the "learning eye" to 12+ inches, and in different lighting set ups too. From light room. To dark room. Anything I can try? This is frustrating.

I mean, I do the same process as I do on power button. 1.presss OK+DVD. 2.Press color on the bottom. 3.Press button I want to map. 4. Immediately press the button to learn while facing the "learning eye."

I have tried to do it skipping step 2. I have tried holding the buttons, pressing them, and also tapping them. I have tried doing it both, fast, and slow. Again, the silver button learns EVERYTIME!

So disappointing. No one from Amulet has replied to my "ticket." And last time they took about 3 months to reply anyways. I feel like doing to the bridge downtown, and throwing this as far and as hard as I can. I will record it if I do :-)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:04:10 PM by llennellv3 »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Amulet Devices. Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »
I feel your pain.  I have pretty much given up on using amulet to learn any extra IR other than my TV power button.  The rest of the time I just use the MCE buttons as default, but I used them with EventGhost.  At least in this mode they work well.

I have found that some buttons are more reluctant to learn codes.  As you say the silver power button works, and I believe it can be programmed differently for different colour maps too.  I have also had some luck on the default (or green windows) mode with the buttons just above the colour buttons.

I have found that I can also learn volume buttons for different devices using colour maps.

It is always best to learn codes in a dim room and away from the TV or CFL bulbs etc.

I have found that at least on my remote, the learning of many buttons is poor.  They will learn the button but you have to hold the button down for a long time for it to work afterwards.  I have also had the remote crash and become corrupted so that i had to reprogram the buttons, so I would not spend too much time on trying to teach it codes anyway.

At least as a microphone for VC this thing is still really the one I used the most, and the battery life and physical condition have been holding up well after almost 3 years of abuse.  If you throw yours off a bridge, let us know.  One of us might want to wait below with a net.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »
btw, if you are not getting a response on your ticket, you could try also posting your query on their forums.  Maybe because it is public they will be more motivated to respond.

llennellv3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. At least I know I am not the only one.  :biglaugh (Sorry)

It would just be so convenient if it worked. I hope Logitech eventually makes something like this.

I will keep looking for alternatives. I might just buy a transmitter thing for the PC/Vox. I honestly don't have much to control outside my HTPC since it's all in there (10 2TB's drives of media, TV Tuner, Bluray Drive, Etc) and the PC is hooked to the TV and sorrund sound... so not many IR devices. I can pretty much control all from VC. I wish gaming consoles supported IR, for basic things ...but anyways.

Since I am in the off-topic section... The other day, I was left wondering, after seeing a few a few IR controller toys...if in theory, they could be controlled via VC with a transmitter. I am not interested in one... but  I had a " Homer Simpson moment," bubble next to my head, picturing myself repeating "forward, forward, forward, forward"  :-)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
What is an "ir controller toy"?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:33:47 AM by nime5ter »