Author Topic: Leap Motion  (Read 3192 times)

Antrobus_Prime

• View Profile
Leap Motion
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »
Has anyone seen this? Looks like a good piece of kit if it does what it says on the tin

https://www.leapmotion.com

Could be interesting to combine hand gestures with voice recognition maybe?

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Leap Motion
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »
I like the idea of combining hand gestures and voice recognition. but since Leap Motion only recognizes gestures in a relatively small field, for me personally it doesn't make much sense, because i mostly use Voxcommando when i'm not in front of my computer...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
It could be a cool thing to have on your coffee table in front of your htpc TV for when you are browsing through your media, but you'd want to have other options.

Also, this gadget was mentioned quite some time ago on this forum (I think) and it is still "coming soon", which makes me wonder, how soon?  Are they having problems with it?

Mark Norville

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Massive no thank you from me. I have the Kinect and I very rarely use hand gestures only voice. The majority of time hand gestures are only good when doing a small amount of stuff. I have a touch screen monitor and only use that for www.zenpoint.org jukebox software.

XBMC is often not touch friendly or mouse friendly (depending upon which skin) but to scroll through say a few thousand albums would be more stressful on your wrists than what typing would be.

You could always try picking up a cheap 360 Kinect and then connecting that to your PC if you want hand gestures. They will be cheap as chips soon, especially on eBay.

bp_pbs

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
Yes sir!!!!!!!!!! I will be getting this for my office. Thanks Antrobus_Prime. I wish the Kinect for Windows would come down in price but this will do.

Mark Norville

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »
You can use the Kinect for the 360 on the PC. You do not need to use a dedicated PC Kinect. You just need an adapter, the power supply that came with the Kinect, and of course the Kinect itself.

So if you buy a brand new Kinect, all of that stuff will be with it anyway. If you buy second hand then you can pick up stuff cheaply on eBay anyway.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »
Yes sir!!!!!!!!!! I will be getting this for my office. Thanks Antrobus_Prime. I wish the Kinect for Windows would come down in price but this will do.
I think this is also a nice toy  ;)

combined with VC - perfect

https://www.thalmic.com/myo/
***********  get excited and make things  **********

bp_pbs

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »
Dang it. ::hmm Now y'all have me thinking again. I was going to get the Kinect for the Media Room and the Leap Motion for the Office but now I don't know.

The Myo was pretty cool. Plus you don't have to be infront or above of anything. Only down sides I see is I have to put on the arm bar and is my family will not be able to use it unless they have the arm bar as well.

Decisions Decisions....