Author Topic: VoxTools Addon for XBMC - Repository broken  (Read 5110 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
VoxTools Addon for XBMC - Repository broken
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
You must install the VoxTools addon for XBMC in order for certain commands to work correctly when using Frodo.

The installation video I created instructs you to install the VoxCommando repository using "repository.vc.zip" but something has happened in Frodo 12.2 (or maybe in 12.1) and the repository no longer works.  I have no idea why or what the good folks at XBMC have changed to make it not work.  I had no problems using it in pre-Frodo or with Frodo 12.0

Anyway, if you already have the VoxTools addon installed in XBMC it will continue to work, but if you are trying to install it, you can't use the repository.

Just choose install from zip and use this file (attached).  It will just install the Addon.  There won't be any auto-updates or anything.

If anyone can help me figure out why this has happened, please let me know!

Attachment removed, please use the repository included with the normal install of VoxCommando
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:54:02 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: VoxTools Addon for XBMC - Repository broken
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:57:46 PM »
Broken?  Or maybe not broken.  I just tried it on one of my machines and the repository is working fine!

OK.  I need to look at this again after I get some sleep.  If anyone has any light they can shed on this though please let me know!  Thanks. :D

claymic

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »
Try to send a new version of the plugin, i will test...if i dont sleep first ::)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
There is no new version.  Anyway, I must sleep myself.  I will check it out tomorrow.  Maybe it is OK.  Thanks!

claymic

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:08 AM »
Dont need to make a new version, just change the version in the actual addon for test. If update my VoxTools...its working.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
I figured out that this is just a bug in XBMC.  It is mentioned here, and in serveral other places: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157211

It is only a problem if you install VoxTools using the Repo, and then uninstall it, and then try to install it again.  Because XBMC "forgets" what is in the Repo, but "remembers" that it already scanned it, it thinks the Repo is empty but doesn't rescan it, or worse, it sometimes shows other, random Addons in the Repo!  I'm not sure how that happens.

Anyway the solution for a user is simple.  Do a "force refresh" from the context menu for the Repo.

If I get around to it, I'll also create a "new" version of the repo, and update the md5 tag, and that will probably fool XBMC into refreshing the info.

I was worried that this was going to confuse new users when they tried to install VoxTools as shown in the youtube tutorial, but it should not actually be a problem if you are installing the Repo for the first time.

I guess I can stop panicking now.  8)

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
I'm trying to understand this Addon/script after reviewing the installation video and trying to search the wiki.
I am currently using an XbmcBuntu HTPC build of XBMC and my storage is being migrated a different hw as well and I run VoxCommando on a VM on my laptop.  Will this plugin work on nonWindows based XBMC installs?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »
Yes it should work fine on any XBMC Frodo regardless of the operating system, as far as I know.