Author Topic: enable/disable group while in standby mode  (Read 2046 times)

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
enable/disable group while in standby mode
« on: October 09, 2010, 06:09:02 PM »
hi james

is it somehow possible to enable/disable a group while voxcommando is in standby mode ?

i use eventghost for my whole homecinema automation, and i would like to disable all xbmc related commands if i change my remote context to lets say the satelite receiver.

however... this is not possible while vc is in standby mode... i have to enable vc through eg ... then disable xbmc and eventually put vc back to standby through eg everytime i switch the remote context.

Cheers

Marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: enable/disable group while in standby mode
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
Well, this is perhaps not the ideal solution, but if you are using prefix mode anyway you can just add the prefix to the beginning of your command and it will execute even when in standby.  Of course if you decide to change your prefix this would cause a problem.

If you are not using prefix mode and you don't want to turn it on, then I will have to think about how to change the code.  I would not want to make an exception to the enable/disable groups, but perhaps I could make an exception for emulated commands (i.e udp commands coming from tellvox or EventGhost) so that they execute even in standby mode.  That's a good idea anyway.

but I am in the middle of adding/changing a few things right now so for now it's better to use prefix mode.  If I don't get on this within a week or two please remind me!  Or you can go to the changelog.  I am going to make a link now from the changelog to a page where you can edit / add requests.  OK?

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »
hi james

i'm not using prefix mode.... but i do know that when i send a broadcast message from eg with command: vox and payload: on i'm able to turn VC on and off even if in standby mode.

maybe the vc code could be extended so i can send a broadcast message with command: EnableGroup payload: XBMC or something like that ? or is that what you've just described in your second option in your previous message ?

keep up the good work

marcel

BTW: have you received my donation ? i hope some others will donate some money as well.... so that this project does NOT end up like the eventghost project currently :-(

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »
the vox&&on is kind of an archaic method that I only left in there for backward compatibility and it only works with those basic commands.

but if you have a phrase "turn xbmc on" which executes a command to enablegroup xbmc, then you can also execute that commands from eventGhost by sending

turn xbmc on     with no payload.  Now if you were to enable prefix mode and set the prefix to: fubar

you could then send the command from eventGhost like this:

fubar turn xbmc on

and it would (hopefully) work even when in standby mode.  This would also allow you to say "fubar turn xbmc on" or any other command with a fubar in front of it, and it would work when in standby.

I hope I am making sense...

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
yes... i do have a command to disable xbmc... and i do know how to trigger that from eg like you described.... but when vc is in standby mode it won't act on that.

i don't like to use the prefix mode... as i prefer to selectively turn vc on and off (we have dogs... and as soon as they start yelling... vc recognizes all different sort of words ;-) )

I just thought that maybe that special vox&&on case could be extended to trigger other "commands" in vc besides turning it off and on?

like a broadcast message with command: VC.EnableGroup payload: XBMC

Marcel