Author Topic: mic not "recording"  (Read 8219 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: mic not "recording"
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
this is also a long shot but if you don't mind could you try changing the usb selective suspend setting to "disabled" on your windows power settings.  (see image)

I am curious to know if this helps with the old "regular" voxCommando.exe

It's such a weird thing really...

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
ok... just a quick update.

cam running on different port... seemed to fix it... but right now (after about 30minutes).... mic lost again.

will try the usb suspend settings first... and after that the modified exe... okay ?

marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »
okay, but ditch the last exe and try this one.

I am curious to know if the events show up in the command history.  It should detect usb events.  Works for me if I plug/unplug usb devices but I don't know if it will trigger anything when your mic loses connection to VC

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
update:
cam mic worked very well on the second dedicated port.... but still stopped working.... just after a longer time.

tried the usb suspend settings you suggested... but unfortunately the problem remains.

i've plugged the cam into the previous dedicated port (which "looses" the connection more ofter) now and am running the second exe you've sent me..... so far the cam is still working and nothing special is displayed in the history window.

marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
that's odd, it should at least send a message when it attempts to reconnect to the mic.  If it is solving the problem, then it must be reconnecting.  Unless the polling has somehow prevented it from disconnecting.  But that seems unlikely to me...  Let me know if you have any updates.

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
okay.... now i've got:

message 537: 0|7
@time: 30.9.2010 01:09:50
time since mic event: 0
message 537: 0|7
@time: 30.9.2010 01:09:50
time since mic event: 0

but the mic is still working !

this is my local time ;-)... so you see it's bedtime for me quite soon ;-)

marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »
sweet dreams.  Don't talk in your sleep...  ;)

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »
ok... another update...

i'm still running the modified exe for now as every other attempts (with the original 0.821 voxcommando exe) still resulted in a failing mic after about 5-45minutes (depending on the port used!)...

so.....i've went to bed yesterday, without talking in my sleep ;-), and gave the mic a try this morning.... and guess what ?? IT WORKED !!.... so the mic connection survived the whole night (well... actually about 4 hours until i had to get out of bed way to soon :-) ).... i'm at work currently and will give the mic a try without touching the pc when i get home and let you know!

What is that second modified vox exe doing now ? is the implemented workaround you did "ready for production" if my mic survives lets say for about 4 days ? is there anything else i can test and/or do to pin point the exact issue to find THE final solution?

will i have any problems with idle timeouts ? i'm using an idle timeout of about 5 minutes!

Marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 11:20:44 AM »
I guess it is almost ready for production, except that I don't really know how it will interact with the idle timeouts.  Maybe you can let me know how that goes.  In the mean time I'll look at the code again to see if I can wrap my brain around their relationship.  (Men always have a hard time doing this)...

For the final version I'll have to put something in the options that lets you choose the amount of time between "checks".  If you set it to 0 it won't do checks, so users with regular wired mics or who otherwise don't have this problem won't have to incur the extra overhead (which is admittedly quite small -but still)

if you set this value to 20 it will do a check every 20 seconds to see how long it has been since the last mic event.  If it has been more than 5 seconds it will attempt to reset the mic.

this is what "the second modified vox exe" is doing now, but without the option so it is hard wired to 20 seconds.

it is also detecting any device change events, so if you plug / unplug any usb devices etc, it will (well should) check the mic status and reset if necessary even if the timer is not active. 

The only other issue right now is that when I tried to sleep / wake with this version of Vox running, Vox was frozen after wake and I had to kill the process. So I have to look into this some more.  It might just have been a freak thing, or it might be from trying to access the mic before the computer is fully awake.

Thanks for you help enthusiasm and patience Marcel.  This will no doubt benefit other users down the road. :)

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Thanks for you help enthusiasm and patience Marcel.  This will no doubt benefit other users down the road. :)

no problem! I'm glad i could be of any help!

I'll do my further "long term" tests and will as well test the behavior with idle timeouts! i'll let you know!

Marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
Good.  ;D

by the way, there may be short periods between the time that VC loses the connection to the mic and the next timer check, when the mic won't work.  Presumably this period could be as long as 20 seconds before Vox notices and resets the connection.

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »
just came back from work... and VC was working as expected!! good work james ! :-)

so far i have no issues with that 20 seconds timeframe and/or the idle timeout.

What impact would decreasing the interval down to lets say 5 or 10 seconds have ?

Marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
probably none, but I don't like the idea of extra code running for nothing...

try the attached version.  I will probably add this to the main download page if you don't experience any problems with it.

you can set the time in the options.  I would suggest using the largest number possible, but if you want to test using smaller numbers be my guest.

derelict

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
awesome.... i'm currently trying it with a 5 second interval :-)

am i right, that this version now logs the mic event every <n> seconds specified in the option screen. i think the previous exe did log so often?

Marcel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Ya you are right.  I will change it back so that it only logs when trying to do a reset.  I had set it like this during debugging to make sure that it was checking on schedule.

Can you also try using a much longer interval (say 60-120 seconds) to see if it still does the trick?  Just curious...