Author Topic: plugin update 0.2.6  (Read 4548 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
plugin update 0.2.6
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
just a little update that lets you change connection to MP on a new machine.

the connect command now accepts a hostname or IP as the first parameter.  If you leave it out it will connect to the default machine as set in options.  This way if you have more than one machine running MP you can switch between them.

overwrite the files in your {vcfolder}\plugins\MpWifi with these

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: plugin update 0.2.6
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
just a little update that lets you change connection to MP on a new machine.

the connect command now accepts a hostname or IP as the first parameter.  If you leave it out it will connect to the default machine as set in options.  This way if you have more than one machine running MP you can switch between them.

overwrite the files in your {vcfolder}\plugins\MpWifi with these

Thanks James!

I'm not going to use this function for now, but I'm planning to add another MP client to my kitchen, so it's great to see that a multisetup installation is supported!

By the way, what about posting here also the new version of mpscan (the one that includes the MpSongsByArtist payload file)? It's working great in my test PC, but I will test it tonight in my server to see if there is any problem. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Aitor

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
Right you are.  I split your post and the following responses off from the original XBMC thread and put it here:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=795.0

mickelin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
I have tried this now and it works great, in principle. I can issue the connect command to one of several MP clients and control it, just as intended. However, I'm having frequent problems actually getting a connection. After a few successful switches, the connect command stops working. It is issued, but no connection event comes back. If I go to the plugin config and try a manual connect it says something like: error, unable to connect to host. A reboot of the VC machine and restart of the MP clients clears it up for a while, but then it fails again. Please let me know what additional info you need to look into this. I'm now using VC 0.946 with the plugin update above, MP 1.2.2 with 0.6.1 of the WiFiRemote plugin.

On a separate note, the voice recognition is very unstable, with VC crashing very frequently. The Windows error screen talks about APPCRASH in spsreng.dll, and the crashes are frequent also when I try Windows speech recognition programs like training, mic setup etc, so this is probably not VC related.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »
I have tried this now and it works great, in principle. I can issue the connect command to one of several MP clients and control it, just as intended. However, I'm having frequent problems actually getting a connection. After a few successful switches, the connect command stops working. It is issued, but no connection event comes back. If I go to the plugin config and try a manual connect it says something like: error, unable to connect to host. A reboot of the VC machine and restart of the MP clients clears it up for a while, but then it fails again. Please let me know what additional info you need to look into this. I'm now using VC 0.946 with the plugin update above, MP 1.2.2 with 0.6.1 of the WiFiRemote plugin.

On a separate note, the voice recognition is very unstable, with VC crashing very frequently. The Windows error screen talks about APPCRASH in spsreng.dll, and the crashes are frequent also when I try Windows speech recognition programs like training, mic setup etc, so this is probably not VC related.
Perhaps this can help you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960836/en

Kalle

PS: A registry cleaning can also help
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:26:48 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »

what microphone are you using?  The only time I have had this happen was when trying to use Senstic Pocket Audio.  Although I'm not sure of the exact error that was generated, but it was a conflict between Pocket Audio and the MS speech engine.  Otherwise, I don't think I've ever had VC crash on me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:27:32 PM by jitterjames »

mickelin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
Right now I'm just using a simple wired headset. I uninstalled the Pocket Audio software (which I wasn't using anyway) but still crashing. Changed language from US to UK, defined and trained a new profile and now it seems stable. Connecting to MP still problematic though...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
hmmmmmmm  ::hmm 

I wonder if you switch to U.S. English but use a freshly created profile if it would work ok.  Might just have been a corrupted profile for whatever reason.
You are not running window Speech recognition and VC at the same time are you?

I don't know about your problems switching MediaPortals.  I only have two machines here with MediaPortal on them, but I can switch back and forth between them without incident.
- I tested doing about 100 total switches.  Sometimes sending commands in between and sometimes just switching back and forth quickly, or switching to the same machine a few times in a row, then the other etc. 
- I tested using Actual IPs and with computer names.
- I tested with security enabled in wifiremote on one of the machines (username and password), and with no security on the other.

No problems.  It always connects.  ???

Not sure what else I can do to recreate this issue.  Hopefully someone else can test this too.

Maybe you can send me your log: "voxLog.txt".  Make sure logging is enabled in the VC main window (on the Options dropdown menu - you don't need to open the options form) and also on the MpWifi plugin settings.
You can also send me your voicecommands.xml if you want.

mickelin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
I started over with a fresh install of VC, new voice profile and new mic setup and now it works perfectly! Go figure... It connects back and forth, with computer name and IP. Each connect takes only 1-2 seconds so it is just great! No idea what the problem was, but I'll blame in on Windows 7. God how I hate that operating system!  >:D Maybe it was a firewall issue?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
I was going to suggest that you had a "sick" system based on the variaety of issues you were having (like the bonjour mpwifi thing and the US profile etc), but I refrained since this is not a very helpful thing to say and usually people are not interested in reinstalling windows.

For what it's worth, I've never had any major problems with Windows 7, and certainly nothing like this.  I've used this OS on lots of computers and I think it's the best MS OS yet.  Of course we all have our opinions and I certainly don't want this to turn into "one of those" threads...  :bonk

I think if it were a firewall issue it would have either worked, or not worked, but I guess it could have been some kind of network issue.  Let's hope it doesn't come back.

mickelin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
I didn't mean it seriously, I'm just having a hard time adjusting from XP, where I know exactly where everything is and how it works. I'm sure I'll love it eventually ;D