Author Topic: Kinect on E3 and the future  (Read 14894 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Kinect on E3 and the future
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
oh good.  It looks like I might have been wrong about having to see your whole skeleton.  That could be great, raise your right hand to speak?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 02:27:20 PM »
You don't need to track a whole skeleton but it still isn't much of a practical solution because

1 - it doesn't track very well if you are sitting in a recliner, maybe sitting up on a couch, but that's not how I watch TV!

2 - I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kinect does all the "heavy lifting" but as soon as I initialize the skeletal tracking, my cpu usage shoots up to about 25% (i.e. equivalent of 1 core on my phenom II 965).

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »
so has anyone tried VoxKinecto yet?

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
Did not have the time yet today, our new born was asking alot of attention today, but tomorrow I will spend some time playing with voxkinecto ;)
I'll keep you up to date.
Challenge us at your own peril!

Foggy

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »
Hi James,

Very quickly tried it out. Thank you for your efforts.

Your hand gestures for on / off works very well.

Voice recognition - I have to agree with your thoughts. It works when there is no background sounds reasonably well. However not really useable if there is.

Can you explain what the figures are at the bottom of the screen?

I will have only limited time to do more testing for the next few weeks. But I'll be keeping an eye on the forums.

Best wishes.

James.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
I'm really disappointed and I doubt I will go much further with this unless something changes.  There are just so many difficulties associated with it, and not enough pros to make it worth while.  The audio just doesn't seem to perform anywhere close to the way it is supposed to.  When all is said and done, all the technical mumbo jumbo explaining why it's so great doesn't mean anything because it doesn't actually work!

the 3 numbers at the bottom are (from left to right):

the angle the last command came from
the minimum angle accepted
the maximum angle accepted.

so if you set Min to -5 and Max to 5 then you need to be more or less in front of the microphone or it won't execute your command.  Try stepping to the left and you should see your angle go down to a negative number.  If you wanted to accept commands only from the left side of the room you could set Min to -60 and Max to 0.

when I say "left" I mean your left, when you are facing the microphone.

Foggy

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 03:02:30 PM »
Thank you for the explanation.

That makes sense and appears to work

When I have no sound - sitting in what I think is the Center it gives me +4
moving to the left gives me -1 and moving to the right +9
all these figs are averages.

If I switch on the sound I get approx -6 -13 figures. I am assuming that is because I have a bias on my left rear speaker because I am kind of deaf in that ear.

I'll try recalibrating my speakers again.
Switch off sound.
Sit where I would normally - take note of the figure shown and use that as my Center and try and use a smaller +/-
when have time I'll report back.

Best wishes.

James.

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
Hello J,

Send me VoxKinecto url for download, please.

thanks,

Wanilton
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

Foggy

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
Not sure if this would help.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/kinectsdkaudioapi/thread/d007edcb-649a-4ecb-a712-fadedb036e90

Rymixxxx,

The functionality you request is not currently available from SDK. You could use the NUI API from the SDK to get position of the player (using SkeletonData information), calculate angle of player's head from kinect device based on skeleton position, and then set MicArrayBeamAngle accordingly.

Sounds like a good idea as you have already defined the head in your gesture program.

Best wishes.

painy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1RIh6GdRYjY

Leap motion
Something to keep an eye out for! Doesn't appear to have a microphone though. More information here

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
Kinect for Windows: SDK and Runtime version 1.5 Released

( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2012/05/21/kinect-for-windows-runtime-and-sdk-version-1-5-released.aspx )

Now that Kinect for windows is becoming usable, any interesting ideas Kinect / Vox projects.

For example, it would be nice to say, "good morning computer" and have it recognize that it's you and say "good morning John" and then run some scripts.

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
For example, it would be nice to say, "good morning computer" and have it recognize that it's you and say "good morning John" and then run some scripts.

That would be fucking awesome!

But I doubt that James would be able to do such a complex thing, he is not such a good programmer...  :P :P :P :P (Just kidding  :biglaugh)

Seriously speaking, that seems to be very very very dificult, but if James wants to try it, I will think on buying an Xbox Kinect just to help him testing! For now you should start testing if the new SDK makes speech recognition better than before. If they have improve it and considering that Kinect now knows Spanish, I will perhaps buy one to try it. James, let us know if you start playing again with Kinect! I'm really interested in your results ;)

Many thanks and best regards,

Aitor

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
I might not even use the speech recognition part of Kinect because my headset already works very well with vox, but it would be cool to get it to be more personalized, It can trigger an even when you walk in the room but not for other people and know that it's you when you ask it questions. That kind of stuff would be very cool.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 04:23:39 AM »
That would be fucking awesome!

But I doubt that James would be able to do such a complex thing, he is not such a good programmer...  :P :P :P :P (Just kidding  :biglaugh)

Seriously speaking, that seems to be very very very dificult, but if James wants to try it, I will think on buying an Xbox Kinect just to help him testing! For now you should start testing if the new SDK makes speech recognition better than before. If they have improve it and considering that Kinect now knows Spanish, I will perhaps buy one to try it. James, let us know if you start playing again with Kinect! I'm really interested in your results ;)

Many thanks and best regards,

Aitor
I think this is not really the old kinect for XBox, this one is a new development and cost 250$. if I understand it correct. They use new cameras with other resolution. As far as I knew, was the language used by windows api, so there is probably the language contained in the software, which worked before only with the ultimate version of windows.

Kalle
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:09:48 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 06:29:46 AM »
Kinect for Windows: SDK and Runtime version 1.5 Released

( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2012/05/21/kinect-for-windows-runtime-and-sdk-version-1-5-released.aspx )

Now that Kinect for windows is becoming usable, any interesting ideas Kinect / Vox projects.

Haha, here is way to do this without a kinect  ;) (edit "john" with your name). Perhaps you find some other ways to do similar and post it here.

Kalle

PS: If you say "good morning, good evening, hello", VC welcomes you and asks you who you are. If you are "john", VC ask you what he can do for you.
If you are not "john", VC said "I would not like to talk with strangers" and going in OFF-mode to protect your system for control it with voice.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:43:36 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********