Author Topic: about 9% of my songs are recognized but won't play  (Read 1633 times)

ltjdangle911

• $upporter
    • View Profile
about 9% of my songs are recognized but won't play
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »
Hey there,

I noticed that for some of my songs, i'll request "play song ______ ______" and it will properly capture my command, but then it just never plays the song.

Then I'll try to request a different song and it'll work fine--then I'll try to request that same problem song and the same thing happens.

This was happening before this latest version, so it has nothing to do with the character limit or anything like that.

Any ideas?

I probably should give you some sort of log of this happening...

Thanks!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: about 9% of my songs are recognized but won't play
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Hey there,

I noticed that for some of my songs, i'll request "play song ______ ______" and it will properly capture my command, but then it just never plays the song.

Then I'll try to request a different song and it'll work fine--then I'll try to request that same problem song and the same thing happens.

This was happening before this latest version, so it has nothing to do with the character limit or anything like that.

Any ideas?

I probably should give you some sort of log of this happening...

Thanks!

A log might help, but it would also help to know
- the complete title of a song that does not work including any punctuation
- whether you are talking about mediamonkey, xbmc, or itunes.  I can not keep track of what setup each user has.  I can barely keep track of my own.

ltjdangle911

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
I'm the netbook iTunes guy :)

You may have already solved the problem even though I'm not at that computer right now....

because I remember two songs that didn't work were "Picture Me Rollin'" and "Talkin' About a Revolution"

both of which have apostrophes that end a word.  Is that our problem?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »
yep.  we may have *identified* the problem, but I may have to make some adjustments to actually *solve* it.

I mean, you could edit your library to get rid of those apostrophes but it makes more sense for me to adjust the code to be able to handle it, since the same thing will happen to other users, or if you add new music and forget to change the titles.

I'll look into it, but if you get the chance to verify that it is indeed these songs, and only these songs that are not working, please let me know.

ltjdangle911

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »
I can confirm that these 2 songs do not work, but I can't yet say what the others are because I've forgotten which others had the same problem (but I know there are a decent amount).

That 9% figure I whipped out wasn't completely pulled out of nowhere--I noticed that when I generate the iTunes xml, only 9811 songs are detected/loaded, but my iTunes library has 11,183 songs in it.

Also, I've noticed that when I dictate "play song ell oh vee ee" it correctly plays the Nat King Cole song that is titled: L-O-V-E

(not sure if that helps you at all, but it's got odd punctuation and still works)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's just the apostrophes that are causing the problem, and I can fix it, but if you find other songs that don't work please tell me.

The 9% is not the same issue since VC is storing the song name and then recognizing it when you say it.  It is only failing when requesting the song.

VC will only store distinct (unique) song names so it is expected to have a smaller number stored than your total songs.  I don't know if a 9% reduction is normal, but there could be some other reason for this (audiobooks?  radiostations? missing tracks?).  It doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »
let me know if the latest version fixes your apostrophe issues.

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=488