Author Topic: Vox resource load  (Read 3483 times)

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Vox resource load
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:29:32 AM »
Hey James,

I'm looking to buy/build a HTPC and I don't want to spend much money on it, so I want to buy/build it as cheap as possible since it will only need todo 2 simple tasks :

1. Run XBMC with 1080p playback
2. Run Vox Commando

Now I know if I go with a HTPC with nvidia ion chipset 1080p will be all on the GPU and thus no stress on CPU.
I just want to ask you are there situations or scenario's where you experience Vox taking loads of system resources in some way, cause if that is the cause I want to know about it so I can take that into account when building my HTPC.

Cheers

PS : Not next weekend but the weekend after that I'm gonna be testing a couple studio-grade/professional open air microphones so I'll be sure to make a couple of reviews and video's of it together with Vox, but I'll keep you guys further up to date in the forum post I made just about that.

Regars Auri
Challenge us at your own peril!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Vox resource load
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
Hey James,

I'm looking to buy/build a HTPC and I don't want to spend much money on it, so I want to buy/build it as cheap as possible since it will only need todo 2 simple tasks :

1. Run XBMC with 1080p playback
2. Run Vox Commando

Now I know if I go with a HTPC with nvidia ion chipset 1080p will be all on the GPU and thus no stress on CPU.
I just want to ask you are there situations or scenario's where you experience Vox taking loads of system resources in some way, cause if that is the cause I want to know about it so I can take that into account when building my HTPC.

Cheers

PS : Not next weekend but the weekend after that I'm gonna be testing a couple studio-grade/professional open air microphones so I'll be sure to make a couple of reviews and video's of it together with Vox, but I'll keep you guys further up to date in the forum post I made just about that.

Regars Auri

Hi Auri,

look at www.zotac.com, there you can find nice design mini PC's with ION2 Graphic-Chip (ZBOX) for less money.

Greetings Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »
I don't have any experience with the ION.  Is this something that runs with an intel atom processor?

I have run VC on a netbook with a single core atom processor, 2 gigs of ram, and a not very good gpu.  Vox runs fine on it, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for extras.

I recommend as a minimum:

- A true dual core (not just multithreaded)
- 3 gig of ram. (more of a precaution than a necessity, two may be ok - if you are going to run windows 64 bit then you should have 4 gigs or more regardless of VC)

The only heavy lifting VC will really have to do is processing very large libraries of music and video data.  So the requirements will vary from one machine to another.  A slower machine may run VC fine but will take longer to update its language grammars any time you edit commands or use GenXML.

If it is an option, an intel I3 is probably fine, or and AMD X2.  I think there are atoms now that are true dual core, so they might fit the bill, but I personally would like to have more power in reserve than the atoms can offer.

Note that Vox pretty much only uses one core; the reason for having two is that you will have one free to do other stuff.  I doubt that the ion gpu can completely free the cpu...

Maybe someone else already has experience with the ION and VoxCommando?

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »
@kalle I plan to buy exactly that a Zotac zbox : ZOTAC ZBOX HD-ID40

With ION next gen GPU, 4Gigs ram and a true dualcore "Intel® Atom™ D525 (dual-core) (1.8 GHz)"

So you would reckon this will run smoothly James ?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
I refer you to my previous post.  It will probably be fine, but I personally would like a bit more oomph in my cpu.

It is very unlikely (I think) that it will actually fail in any way, but there may be times when you wish it were a bit zippier.  In any case I look forward to hearing how it works out since this is probably a popular choice for HTPCs.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »
yup I'll let you know in a week when I have them (as I will be buying 2 :D )

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »

With ION next gen GPU, 4Gigs ram and a true dualcore "Intel® Atom™ D525 (dual-core) (1.8 GHz)"

Auri,

what is the price with RAM (DDR2 is not the best variant) and HDD, and there has no DVD or Bluerayplayer. I have this one  ZOTAC ZBOX Blu-ray HD-ID34 (450 EUR by Amazon) it run without artefact's on Blueray's or DVD's and only 37 Watt in fullmode.

Kalle

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 04:45:15 AM »

Auri,

what is the price with RAM (DDR2 is not the best variant) and HDD, and there has no DVD or Bluerayplayer. I have this one  ZOTAC ZBOX Blu-ray HD-ID34 (450 EUR by Amazon) it run without artefact's on Blueray's or DVD's and only 37 Watt in fullmode.

Kalle

Well I know DDR2 is not the best and that DDR3 and 4 (which will come out this year I think) is superior, but you have to look at what the barebone/htpc is going todo.
I reckon to run vox and XBMC 4Gb's of DDR2 800 is more then enough, I also have a USB blu-ray drive so I don't want to pay extra for that since I have it already.

So in short, yeah there are alot better HTPC's on the market, but they cost ALOT more also, the HD-ID40 costs 239€ including taxes and transportation.
Also I have a broken laptop here where I can take 2x 160GB Sata 3.0 Gbps 7200 rpm HDD's from and that is more then enough so also there I do not need to invest in, so in the big picture, I think it's the best option.

Only problem is, it does not have an IR receiver.  I plan to buy the logitech Harmony One remote control and that doesn't come with an USB IR receiver either :( 130 € for a remote without a receiver is MEH but it's such a nice one :D

Any tips where I could find good and cheap USB IR receivers ?

Regards
Auri

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »

Auri,

what is the price with RAM (DDR2 is not the best variant) and HDD, and there has no DVD or Bluerayplayer. I have this one  ZOTAC ZBOX Blu-ray HD-ID34 (450 EUR by Amazon) it run without artefact's on Blueray's or DVD's and only 37 Watt in fullmode.

Kalle

Well I know DDR2 is not the best and that DDR3 and 4 (which will come out this year I think) is superior, but you have to look at what the barebone/htpc is going todo.
I reckon to run vox and XBMC 4Gb's of DDR2 800 is more then enough, I also have a USB blu-ray drive so I don't want to pay extra for that since I have it already.

So in short, yeah there are alot better HTPC's on the market, but they cost ALOT more also, the HD-ID40 costs 239€ including taxes and transportation.
Also I have a broken laptop here where I can take 2x 160GB Sata 3.0 Gbps 7200 rpm HDD's from and that is more then enough so also there I do not need to invest in, so in the big picture, I think it's the best option.

Only problem is, it does not have an IR receiver.  I plan to buy the logitech Harmony One remote control and that doesn't come with an USB IR receiver either :( 130 € for a remote without a receiver is MEH but it's such a nice one :D

Any tips where I could find good and cheap USB IR receivers ?

Regards
Auri

The best one is USB-UIRT but it cost round about with shiping from England 60 EUR. When you need only a IR-Receiver to remote contol you htpc, PM me your adress and I can send you one (not the USB-UIRT) for nothing see picture  ;)

Kalle

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »
Cool Kalle.

I'm in Berlin next week for work, you don't happen to live close by so we can meet up there perhaps ? :D
I only need an IR receiver (I actually need 2 for the 2 htpc's I'm gonna buy)

What's so special about the product you link here ?

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
Nevermind I googled the USB-UIRT it's a receiver and transmitter :D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
Cool Kalle.

I'm in Berlin next week for work, you don't happen to live close by so we can meet up there perhaps ? :D
I only need an IR receiver (I actually need 2 for the 2 htpc's I'm gonna buy)

What's so special about the product you link here ?

yes, it's too far, but when you stay any time in Frankfurt, you are welcome  ;D

There is nothing special, but i don't need it anymore  ;) you can find this for 10-20 EUR in eaby ebay
(a special is only the USB-UIRT, that can transceive any IR-Signal with EventGhost to any device, like TV or what else)

http://cgi.ebay.de/USB-UIRT-56k-enhanced-with-Xantech-286D-IR-Emitter-/130435773133?pt=UK_Collectables_InputDevices_RL&hash=item1e5e93f2cd

Kalle
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:36:32 PM by Kalle »

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
Sweet thanks for the info.
If you have no use for the normal IR I would be happy to you pay you a small fee for it.

I'll PM you my address ;) Thanks m8!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
Sweet thanks for the info.
If you have no use for the normal IR I would be happy to you pay you a small fee for it.

I'll PM you my address ;) Thanks m8!

For friends and VC members is it free  ;)

Kalle