Author Topic: What hardware are you using to run or combine XBMC, Audio and Vox Commando  (Read 3057 times)

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Thinking of making or buying a htpc as currently XBMC runs on my main computer which makes alot of fan noise and just has way to big power consumption.

When I'm making or buy one I'm gonna also find a good mic to work with vox and a 5.1 audio system (DTS, THX, Dolby, ...) to complete my Home Cinema Experience (I already have the only 21:9 cinema format tv in the world <brag> http://www.philips.co.uk/c/cinema-21-9/30849/cat/ </brag> )

So I'm curious as to what you guys are currently using for XBMC use, Vox (microphone), audio use and perhaps share your DO's and DON'T DO's
Challenge us at your own peril!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: What hardware are you using to run or combine XBMC, Audio and Vox Commando
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:25 PM »
Thinking of making or buying a htpc as currently XBMC runs on my main computer which makes alot of fan noise and just has way to big power consumption.

When I'm making or buy one I'm gonna also find a good mic to work with vox and a 5.1 audio system (DTS, THX, Dolby, ...) to complete my Home Cinema Experience (I already have the only 21:9 cinema format tv in the world <brag> http://www.philips.co.uk/c/cinema-21-9/30849/cat/ </brag> )

So I'm curious as to what you guys are currently using for XBMC use, Vox (microphone), audio use and perhaps share your DO's and DON'T DO's

Hi Auri,

I use following system: HTPC ZOTAC-ID34 with Blueray, 50" Samsung Plasma (sometimes Infocus projector), HD-STB from my Kabelprovider, Amulet-Remote Control for VoxCommando, USB-UIRT with EventGhost, XBMC with AEON-skin and MediaMonkey for Musik, Remotecontrol Philips iPronto and Logitech Harm. 950. A normal 5.1 Homecinemasystem from Samsung, thats all and enough  :D

Greetings Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »

Hi Auri,

I use following system: HTPC ZOTAC-ID34 with Blueray, 50" Samsung Plasma (sometimes Infocus projector), HD-STB from my Kabelprovider, Amulet-Remote Control for VoxCommando, USB-UIRT with EventGhost, XBMC with AEON-skin and MediaMonkey for Musik, Remotecontrol Philips iPronto and Logitech Harm. 950. A normal 5.1 Homecinemasystem from Samsung, thats all and enough  :D

Greetings Kalle

Cool, first of all thanks for sharing your setup.
What should I imagine with "USB-UIRT with EventGhost" ? What is it and what does it do/enhance ?
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
http://www.usbuirt.com/

http://www.eventghost.net/docs/controlling_your_living_room_with_eventghost/index.html

basically it receives and and also sends (blasts) infra red codes.  So you can use any remote to generate events in EventGhost, which could in turn do almost anything on your pc including trigger actions and events in VoxCommando.

the blasting allows you to control other devices like your tv or stereo if they only accept ir commands (as opposed to serial rs-232 for example).  It can learn the codes from your remote, and then reblast them whenever you want.  This would allow you to turn your tv on and off (just an example) using voice commands.

I have an MCE remote ir receiver with blasting capabilities and it is similar, but probably not as robust as the usb-uirt.  I have looked recently and it seems that most MCE receivers do not support blasting.  I believe blasting usually means taping an emitter to the receiver of your device (tv etc), though some may be pointable like a normal remote.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »

I use following system: HTPC ZOTAC-ID34 with Blueray, 50" Samsung Plasma (sometimes Infocus projector), HD-STB from my Kabelprovider, Amulet-Remote Control for VoxCommando, USB-UIRT with EventGhost, XBMC with AEON-skin and MediaMonkey for Musik, Remotecontrol Philips iPronto and Logitech Harm. 950. A normal 5.1 Homecinemasystem from Samsung, thats all and enough  :D

Greetings Kalle

Cool, first of all thanks for sharing your setup.
What should I imagine with "USB-UIRT with EventGhost" ? What is it and what does it do/enhance ?

USB-UIRT:
This is the best thing I've bought recently. (VC outside of course  :bonk ). But seriously, for any HTPC user is an important device that is controlled in combination with VC and EventGhost everything that can be controlled via infrared. Have my USB-UIRT bought on ebay (it was only in England, about 60 EUR with shipping), Look under www.usbuirt.com

Kalle

PS: Hey James, i put this time more then 200 TV-Channels as Command and events in VC and EventGhost  :'(  but it works fine!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:04:42 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »

Kalle

PS: Hey James, i put this time more then 200 TV-Channels as Command and events in VC and EventGhost  :'(  but it works fine!!!!!

That's good news, but why are you crying?  You should be doing this:  :yay

For the record, purely as a remote for my pc, my ps3 bluetooth remote is my favourite to use, but you have to recharge the batteries often.  I am trying to switch over to only using my Amulet for everything, but it is difficult to make the adjustment, because I could do so many things with my ps3 remote, and it always worked great, even through walls to about 30'

If you don't need blasting capability, and you want to use an open air microphone, then the ps3 remote may be a good choice and if you already have bluetooth it's a real cheap option.

as for the rest of my setup, I'm currently using an asus mobo with geforce 8300 onboard graphics with hdmi.  I ran it for a while on an athlon x2, but upgraded to an athlon x4.  It uses slightly more power (about 70 watts now instead of 60) but that is still less than my TV !  the nice thing about this mobo is that it has hybrid graphics support, and I have a 9800gt installed that I can turn on when I want to play video games.  It is working great but I did have a huge headache originally trying to set the hybrid graphics up.  One thing that is also worth buying IMO when setting up an htpc is a power meter, that measures watts at the wall.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

Kalle

PS: Hey James, i put this time more then 200 TV-Channels as Command and events in VC and EventGhost  :'(  but it works fine!!!!!

That's good news, but why are you crying?  You should be doing this:  :yay

For the record, purely as a remote for my pc, my ps3 bluetooth remote is my favourite to use, but you have to recharge the batteries often.  I am trying to switch over to only using my Amulet for everything, but it is difficult to make the adjustment, because I could do so many things with my ps3 remote, and it always worked great, even through walls to about 30'

If you don't need blasting capability, and you want to use an open air microphone, then the ps3 remote may be a good choice and if you already have bluetooth it's a real cheap option.

as for the rest of my setup, I'm currently using an asus mobo with geforce 8300 onboard graphics with hdmi.  I ran it for a while on an athlon x2, but upgraded to an athlon x4.  It uses slightly more power (about 70 watts now instead of 60) but that is still less than my TV !  the nice thing about this mobo is that it has hybrid graphics support, and I have a 9800gt installed that I can turn on when I want to play video games.  It is working great but I did have a huge headache originally trying to set the hybrid graphics up.  One thing that is also worth buying IMO when setting up an htpc is a power meter, that measures watts at the wall.

:yay for working fine cmd's, but when you see my channel-cmd in german (like this one NationalGeographic = german phrase "näschelneltschiogräfik" it is very hard work, and laugh so loud, I can not concentrate.  :D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:32:49 PM by Kalle »