Author Topic: Flag Avatars  (Read 1976 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Flag Avatars
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
because there are so many international users on the forum, I thought it would be nice to have country flags as avatars.  Actually I was hoping to allow you to use an avatar AND display a flag for your country, but that mod doesn't seem to work...

anyway, now you can see where I am from  :D

feel free to keep using other avatars though, if you prefer.

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
Re: Flag Avatars
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »
Good Idea...
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »
I knew I could count on you to get flaggy!  :D

FLuX0r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »
I would stay with my avatar  :P but maybe the "location" or "language"-value of the user-profile can be shown near the avatar, if the value ist no empty.
This should have almost the same effect.

Oh and where we're at it, i would be delighted to see everybody in the forum write in english, so everyone can benefit from everybodys information.
I am not english too, but i do my best and if I'm in trouble, there is still the google translator...    ;D
I tried to translate portuguese posts with it, but it did not work very well.
Although I am a german, I think the german bulletin board is not a good solution, because the information is spread over too much boards and many vox-users can not understand them.
Isn't it great, that we can all agree on a language ?

Maybe someone already had the same thought...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »
I originally tried to install a mod for SMF that did exactly what you describe, since I like to also have personal Avatars, but the mod was not compatible and would not install.  I don't really have the time to figure out how to make my own mod the SMF so I went with this option instead.  If you find a mod for SMF 1.1.12 that would allow this please let me know.

As for language, it is totally up to each user, but I personally prefer if users use their own language unless their english is decent.  The reason is, that if you force them to use english they will usually use an automatic translator anyway.  Chrome translates other languages directly in my browser so it is no extra work for me to read.  Also, if the translation is hard to understand, I can look at the original text and/or put it into a different translator.  Between the two translations I have a better chance of understanding.  If the message is translated before posting I have no other options.

But for people who are comfortable writing in English, I agree, it is better.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
another option would be for people to post bilingual messages, but it is more work for them.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:29:02 AM »
Although I am a german, I think the german bulletin board is not a good solution, because the information is spread over too much boards and many vox-users can not understand them.
Isn't it great, that we can all agree on a language ?
I tend to agree with this too, but I'm not sure what the best solution is.  Originally this seemed like a good way to make new German users feel more welcome...