Author Topic: Android Watch (not only for using the watch as a bluetooth mic)  (Read 4676 times)

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
I'm finally looking for an Android watch and for my surprise, many of the available watches use a proprietary OS instead of standard android or android ware, and they allow for integration with android phones via bluetooth only, meaning they can get audio transmitted from/to the phone via bluetooth just like a bluetooth headset would, but they can't actually have android apps installed on them, neither have wifi, etc.

Then I've found this watch below which seems preety good for the cost, and it comes with android 4.4, has wifi, etc.

Three questions:

1-Does anybody has ever used this kind on watch?
2-Will Voxwav pro work on this (at least with minimal functionality)?
3-If you have a smart watch (the ones that are not android), how do you use it with VoxCommando?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:44:00 PM by jitterjames »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Android Watch (not only for using the watch as a bluetooth mic)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
1.2.3. Yes, yes, yes we did - but my watch is died after a few month  :'(  maybe the new generation is better  ;)

***********  get excited and make things  **********

Simeon Tuitt

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Simeon Tuitt Home Automation
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:58:52 PM »
Hi marcusvdt, I was looking at android smart watch phones myself, the one that caught my attention was the iMacWear M7 smart watch which runs android 4.4 also, so you can run full normal android apps on it, so vox wav should be fine.

I've chosen to wait though for a smart watch phone with at least android 5.0 since you can't upgrade the version of android on them. The M7 is also IP67 waterproof which I think is important with any smart watch you spend a bit on since you will be using it a lot in all weather conditions, for me waterproof or resistant is a must in rainy England or the accidental splash when washing dishes or something.

You can check the watch out on eBay but someone has done a video around 20 minutes on YouTube showing you his and givinga really in depth review.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iMacwear-SPARTA-M7-Smart-Watch-Phone-3G-IP67-Waterproof-Rating-Android-4-4-/181786789428

For in home voice automation though you don't need a watch phone, a Bluetooth watch will work just fine, I have tested two out for under $20 and they both work great for voice control.

You can see the U8 smart watch or sometimes called the Uwatch below, you can pick one up for $20, simply pair it to your computer and it will be discovered as a smart watch and you can use the Mic to input audio into vox.

Simeon Tuitt Is An Information Product Creator From The UK Who Took His Skills From Online Business Automation And Applied It To Automating A Smart Home.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:06:10 PM »
Then I've found this watch below which seems preety good for the cost, and it comes with android 4.4, has wifi, etc.

Three questions:

1-Does anybody has ever used this kind on watch?
2-Will Voxwav pro work on this (at least with minimal functionality)?
3-If you have a smart watch (the ones that are not android), how do you use it with VoxCommando?
Yes that looks very similar to the Omate watch.  It can runs apps.

These things are all total crap.  Although it is amazing what can be done on a watch, IMO, in the end these really are a waste of money.  They are not practical at all.  Not comfortable, not durable, bad OS software, and the tiny screen is just a giant pain for most things.  They don't even keep proper time!

VoxWav runs great on it though!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:44:16 PM by jitterjames »

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 12:50:18 AM »
@Kalle, when you have bought yours?

@Simeon, thanks for the response. The bluetooth type of watch will not work for me. Even wifi is difficult to work here in my house. I have four routers to cover the entire house. The house is not that big, but the walls are made of concrete and somehow the signal is weak.
I need to cover the entire house.
Regarding the android watches, I'll look for what alternatives are available. Of course I would prefer to pay a little more for a watch that will not die in a few months.

@James, the purpose to prefer a pure android watch instead of those provided by Samsung, Motorola, LG etc, was the ability to run Voxwav. Besides that, I would like to have a tiny watch phone for situations that I don't want to carry my cell phone.
But if there are alternatives for using other watches (excluding the bluetooth), I'd interested in testing.
For example, I suppose it is possible to use an android ware with tasker (is tasker available for android ware?) and google voice recognizing, may it would be an alternative that I would consider.

Please if you guys have alternatives in mind, let me know... I'm going to make a decision on what to buy asap and your opinions are much appreciated.

At last, I'll share my results so others can perhaps benefit of my experience.

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 03:13:00 AM »
Hi Marcus,
I'm using an android wear watch (LG G Watch) to control VC. The apps you need for this are Tasker, AutoVoice and AutoWear. It does work, but you can't send directly from your watch to VC. You will always need the phone, too (Watch -> Phone -> VC). And with solution you have to use the voice recognition by Goolge, which can't make use of VCs grammar.

The benefit is that you can use more than one language in one command. For example with Google I can say "spiele Musik von Michael Jackson" ("play music by Michael Jackson") in german and still pronounce "Michael Jackson" the way it should be. If I wanted to use this command with WSR I would have to pronounce it in a really silly way. This is one reason why I used VC in english with a normal mic and VoxWav. But then I had the same problem with german artists... Also in my opinion the german speech recognition of windows does not work very well (at least in comparison with english).

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:23:02 AM »
Hi Marcus, I got mine in November 2013 and it was died 6-8 month later (GPS was broken, because it is fit in the wristband also the WiFi signal was then weak).
The watch has worked fine with VoxWav (also Pro), because there was a full Android 4.x installed.
***********  get excited and make things  **********