Author Topic: VoxCommando and privacy  (Read 1231 times)

JoostZilla

• View Profile
VoxCommando and privacy
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »
The last days there is a lot of news about privacy issues concerning voice recognition. e.g. Samsung TV, Siri, Xbox.
How does VoxCommander handle this.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:34:29 AM by JoostZilla »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: VoxCommander and privacy
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »
All of those services are using remote servers to process your voice audio.  They use this audio in a number of ways.  Most of the time they are probably only using the data to improve their service.  On the other hand you never know, and the terms you normally have to agree to (which most people never read) usually lean heavily in the favour of those companies being able to not only use your data, but to "own" it.  :o

VoxCommando (including VoxWav) does not send your audio anywhere outside your network. It is all processed by the machine VoxCommando is running on. VoxWav makes a TCP connection (not secured) to stream audio data directly to VoxCommando with no third party involvement.

The only data that VoxCommando sends outside your LAN is basic info required to identify the computer for our license activation system.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:24:17 PM by jitterjames »

JoostZilla

• View Profile
Re: VoxCommando and privacy
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »
Thanks for the quick and clear reply. I was hoping for this answer  :)

The fact that VoxCommando is Privacy Safe makes it even more ideal for use.  :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »
This addresses the voice data aspect of things, but it is important to note that VoxCommando can interface with all sorts of other programs, so how you configure and use it may have an impact on your privacy and security.

For example if you are using scrape to contact insecure 3rd party websites, then all bets are off!

I am also going on the assumption that the sapi speech recognition engine built into windows is not sending your data anywhere.  Of this I cannot be 100% certain but I am 99% sure there is nothing to worry about there.  If they are sharing any data it would be "metrics" data and certainly nothing about what you are actually saying.  If someone is interested it is probably possible to find out the answer to this question with a bit of searching.

JoostZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:02 AM »
Ah well, i am not too concerned about companies collecting data. My phone, Nest and google, facebook, whatsapp do that already. But listening in on my conversations at home would be too much  :)