Author Topic: Vox Zones?  (Read 1262 times)

chstuart

• View Profile
Vox Zones?
« on: January 03, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
Is it possible to have different zones for Vox? For instance, I have a list of commands for my dedicated home theater. I would like a separate "zone" for the master bedroom where I have a TV there. I would like to separate the commands so the two zones can operate independently. Also, I do not want possible false commands in one area to effect another area of the home.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Vox Zones?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:48:15 PM »
There are different ways to do this but the simplest would probably be to just have a separate instance of VC running for each zone.

chstuart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:57:19 PM »
I thought of this. How do you link one Vox to one microphone and another to another?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »
That action actually changes the default audio input for speech recognition globally for the entire system, but it won't affect other instances if they are already listening on an input.  So you would need to make sure that you set the correct input for each instance immediately before turning VC on.  You can also set it when VC is already on, but just remember that if you turn your audio input off, you will need to set the correct input before turning it back on, because the other instance of VC might have changed the default input.  Sounds complicated but it really isn't.  Switching between On and Standby does not matter because the microphone input remains active when in standby.

It is quite unfortunate but Microsoft decided that noone would ever want to use anything other than the default audio input, just like they think noone would ever want to use anything other than the default audio output with Media Center.  ::dis

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:51:08 AM »
how about having separate prefix for each zone?

you will need to mix the mics signal before sending it to VC ...

duplicate every command group you have, use prefix overrides in groups properties ...
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »
Sounds harder to set up and harder for the user because you have to remember to use the correct prefix depending on which room you are in. It does give the ability to control either zone regardless of your location, which could be nice.  Unless you use special hardware to mix signals you will probably increase noise thus reducing recognition accuracy in both zones.

Of course there will certainly be some advantages to using only one instance of VoxCommando.

If going this route I would prefer to tell VoxCommando once which room I am in (or use a PIR motion sensor etc.) and have it enable and disable groups accordingly.

Another good way to deal with two zones might be to use VoxWav but I don't think this is a good way if you want an always on, hands free solution. But if you want a cheap tablet on the wall that you can use like an intercom this could work nicely.