Author Topic: x10.sendplc how to set to certain level of brightness?  (Read 1094 times)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
x10.sendplc how to set to certain level of brightness?
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
hello everyone ive been getting just about everything setup for my entire theater room and i just ran into another problem i cant fix. ive been trying to get my recessed ceiling lights capable of being controlled precisely. i've been trying to use the xbmc command for setting volume as an example to go off of using this.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<command id="423" name="Ceiling Lights" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
  <action>
    <cmdType>X10.SendPlc</cmdType>
    <cmdString>I3&amp;&amp;BRIGHT&amp;&amp;{1}</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <phrase>lights</phrase>
  <phrase>set to</phrase>
  <payloadList>5,10,15,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100</payloadList>
</command>

also wouldnt vox somehow have to get like a poll for what percent its currently at before it could make it go to a direct percentage

im sorry if this looks really dumb to others but im just really trying everything i can to make sense of how all of this works. i probably have some really odd other configurations as well just dont wanna have to ask for help for every little thing.

anyways if this is incorrect i would really appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:40:58 PM by IKROWNI »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: x10.sendplc how to set to certain level of brightness?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
This is a limitation of x10 that you will find it difficult to get around.  It is one of the reasons I don't like x10.  There is no command to set the brightness, only to lower or raise it by a percentage.  There is also no way to poll or ask for the current setting.  The best you can do is probably something like this.

If you say set brightness to 35%...

First set brightness to 0. (Dim -100)

Then increase the brightness by 35%

You could also try to store the values every time the brightness is set but this will not work if you use any other method to set the lights, other than VC.  Also x10 is so unreliable, that just because you asked it to set to a value, does not mean that it did it.