Author Topic: Ability to add a delay?  (Read 7349 times)

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to add a delay?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 05:05:45 AM »
Hi vulcanjedi

Are you saying  you have it working now.

Yep.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
What exactly did you change to get it to work?

In other words, how did you modify the path when going from an URL based approach to the VC call?

As far as I can tell you didn't change anything so why is it working  now?

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »
What exactly did you change to get it to work?

In other words, how did you modify the path when going from an URL based approach to the VC call?

As far as I can tell you didn't change anything so why is it working  now?

Hey guys sorry if I wasn't clear. I was actually having to work in Linux @ work yesterday and encountered some weird nuances too lol.
 "home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/test-service.XBLFriends-8926e01/service.py"

I tried ./home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/test-service.XBLFriends-8926e01/service.py
I tried encapsulating with "s and 's
but it was just /home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/test-service.XBLFriends-8926e01/service.py

So at work I needed  to preface a folder with ./ once when dealing with the entire root folder structure but here, I only needed a single (seemingly benign) front forward slash. (no leading (period))
Still a bit confused on why the URL works with the path w/o the "/" while in VC I had to put it in there.
But I have encountered some URL encoding differences before when testing commands via a browser vs trying them in my other various scripting. Whats nice/interesting is in VC so far I haven't seen the need to URL encode stuff.

Its a bit quirky dealing with my existing setup from a VM hosting Win7 to a linux node, but wow the Kinect was picking up so much ambient vibrations and was unusable is my very brief tests...and the other solutions that require push to talk don't really gel well with me atm.
The problem with my approach at the moment, is it makes it a bit hard to test on another machine such as a windows box as I have to go change some of the commands first and try to recall those :)

But at the moment I'm activated and very happy.
I have VC instantiating the 1st party addons like TED, Food network, Youtube...etc, being able to pass more arguments like the show specifically a dynamic youtube search would be great but not sure thats possible yet. ( i know theres the sendkeys aproach, not sure i love that, and don't think applicable on my linux config, more important cause dynamic search would help curb desire to login to youtube since accounts freetext in config files :()
Calling my XBOX Live friends script in tandem with the fact it runs as a service, so I can see what friends are online atm.
Got the smart playlists working via remote smb sharing. Never knew of the smart playlists but as cool as they are i would think they are severely restricting without something like VC, with VC leveraging them its extremely versatile / powerful.
Can't wait to learn more how the gui/command structure works and refine and help build some more stuff.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »
@vulcanjedi

Good explanation, well done.  :clap
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
I have VC instantiating the 1st party addons like TED, Food network, Youtube...etc, being able to pass more arguments like the show specifically a dynamic youtube search would be great but not sure thats possible yet. ( i know theres the sendkeys aproach, not sure i love that, and don't think applicable on my linux config, more important cause dynamic search would help curb desire to login to youtube since accounts freetext in config files )
@vulcanjedi
You can use "InputKeys.TextEntry" with a "payloadDictation" in a command. This allowed you all what you say to insert in youtube-search field. I've tested it with "chrome browser" and it works (mostly  ;)  )

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
There is a way to do a youtube search, a good way, but it requires a special script.  Rather than just make a single script for doing this one thing though, I'm thinking it would be nice to have something more flexible that can do a number of things.  I'm going to work on it a bit and hopefully release something soon.

Once you see what I am doing, I think it should be easy enough for people to add their own functionality to extent it a bit and as usual, hopefully people will share their discoveries with the community.

I don't actually know why, but for certain types of calls to scripts, or to activatewindow I just can't figure out how to get it to work by calling execbuiltin from VC, but I can get it to work from a python script.  I am also able to call my own python scripts using variables so the basic idea is

- call my script with the parameter we want to search for
- the python script opens youtube with the search parameter

and it works, no waiting or having to do keyboard emulation etc.  Well, we have to wait for the search results to show up, but I mean no waiting for 4 seconds and then trying to enter text and then waiting again for results.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »
There is a way to do a youtube search, a good way, but it requires a special script.  Rather than just make a single script for doing this one thing though, I'm thinking it would be nice to have something more flexible that can do a number of things.  I'm going to work on it a bit and hopefully release something soon.

Once you see what I am doing, I think it should be easy enough for people to add their own functionality to extent it a bit and as usual, hopefully people will share their discoveries with the community.

I don't actually know why, but for certain types of calls to scripts, or to activatewindow I just can't figure out how to get it to work by calling execbuiltin from VC, but I can get it to work from a python script.  I am also able to call my own python scripts using variables so the basic idea is

- call my script with the parameter we want to search for
- the python script opens youtube with the search parameter

and it works, no waiting or having to do keyboard emulation etc.  Well, we have to wait for the search results to show up, but I mean no waiting for 4 seconds and then trying to enter text and then waiting again for results.

That sounds like a great approach and also I think would be more universally helpful for those of us with non Windows instances of XBMC too.  Great guess I need to try to start learning python now too  :bonk
Look forward to you sharing your results ...