Author Topic: VoxCommando Version 0.875 official release is finally here!  (Read 18253 times)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: VoxCommando Version 0.875 official release is finally here!
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
I'm afraid it's all pretty closed. Although it is able to send controls to certain programs (like winamp and WMP), it is limited to these two programs, and the controls you can choose from are predefined. Other programs (like XBMC) are controlled via keyboard emulation or hotkeys. The keyboard emulation is send to the program that has focus. It's also able to run custom programs and you can set the parameter.

Hi, i have test two remoteprogramms for iPhone/iTouch and it's work fine. 1. "XBMC-remote", to control XBMC over WiFi or 3G and 2. "Eventphone", you can Control everthing over Eventghost with WiFi.

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »
Thanks Kalle,

I guess Painy probably wants to stick with the application he is using, and he has an Android.  I personally use my iPod (sometimes) to control eventGhost using the dynamic webserver plugin in EventGhost.  You can customize it to do almost anything (if you have the time ;) )

Obviously any method that can talk to eventGhost will work well with VoxCommando, but it may also be possible to generate events using an XBMC remote... I would have to look into that.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
Thanks Kalle,

I guess Painy probably wants to stick with the application he is using, and he has an Android.  I personally use my iPod (sometimes) to control eventGhost using the dynamic webserver plugin in EventGhost.  You can customize it to do almost anything (if you have the time ;) )

Obviously any method that can talk to eventGhost will work well with VoxCommando, but it may also be possible to generate events using an XBMC remote... I would have to look into that.

if you could program a VC for iPhone, VC would be likely in the top 10 in the iTunes store and all others could throw their remote-apps, but I know a Mac with the appropriate software is expensive, but would be worth considering  :D

Kalle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:59 PM »
would that I could, but I would have to start over, and learn how to do it for iPod.  VC is built upon the speech api in windows.

You are right though.  I am pretty sure it would be popular!

First I would have to learn how to turn a mac on.  Is it difficult? :D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
would that I could, but I would have to start over, and learn how to do it for iPod.  VC is built upon the speech api in windows.

You are right though.  I am pretty sure it would be popular!

First I would have to learn how to turn a mac on.  Is it difficult? :D

I think it would be sufficient to develop an app that only exists to VC to talk to the PC via WiFi and how Painy already said, to enable the accolator function, the microphone (amulet like that) with a few buttons for basic functions. I would be as an investor there. (Just think of the 15 million sold iPhones and iTouch's just as many and only 1% buys the SOFTWARE for 99 cents and then the bundle with VC)  :D

Kalle

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:23 AM »
IF we could let the iphone be some sort of alternative for an amulet remote (for those of use not living in the continental USA and thus cannot buy an amulet remote) it would be awesome.  Just the microfone function with accelorator or whatever that thing is called over wifi would be all that is needed.

Perhaps a collaboration with someone who already makes iphone/ipad apps ?

On the other hand I'm like ... Lets finish the windows part of the game before expanding to other platforms or other tools/addons, lets make the CORE work first before dreaming of other stuff that might be usefull :p
Challenge us at your own peril!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 06:15:20 AM »
IF we could let the iphone be some sort of alternative for an amulet remote (for those of use not living in the continental USA and thus cannot buy an amulet remote) it would be awesome.  Just the microfone function with accelorator or whatever that thing is called over wifi would be all that is needed.

On the other hand I'm like ... Lets finish the windows part of the game before expanding to other platforms or other tools/addons, lets make the CORE work first before dreaming of other stuff that might be usefull :p

Hi Auri, yes, you're right, but it is only an extension for VC, a replacement for the Amulet  ;)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »
There already exists a program that lets you use the iPhone as a microphone for windows.  There are a few problems with it.  The main problem, which I think would be a problem for anyone who tried to develop such an app, is that there is a large delay from the time that you speak to the time that the sound arrives at the PC.  Maybe there is some way to reduce this time, who knows.  The other reason that the iPhone sucks as a microphone is that the battery life is too short.  Also, I don't think people would really want to use it as their only application, so it would either have to replace all remote functions, or be able to run in the background.

I personally have higher hopes for better more affortable wireless microphone solutions in the future.  Amulet will no doubt improve and hopefully they, and others will come out with some good options for us.

If you want I can do a demo with the senstic pocket audio app to show you what the delay is like.  Maybe they are just doing something stupid and the delay is unnecessary...

Also consider that if the accelerometer turns the connection off to save battery, there will probably be an additional delay when you lift it before it can connect.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »

HEY!  The core DOES work!  I think it works extremely well...  of course it can, and will always improve over time...  Would it help if I started calling it version 2.4 ?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »
HEY!  The core DOES work!  I think it works extremely well...  of course it can, and will always improve over time...  Would it help if I started calling it version 2.4 ?

It works fine, it's actually been done (for me), the rest is cosmetic and gimmick. I just thought that rises with App Bundle the level of awareness  ;)

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »

You know what I mean james, it was not meant to pun your release nr's ;)
All I'm saying is "perhaps it's too soon to go dreaming about joining the iFactory that is apple :D"

I don't understand though why the iphone "has" to have this delay, why does an amulet remote not have a delay ? Why does my wireless headset not have a delay ?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »
Ya, I knew what you meant. :P

(but I don't know what "pun your release nr's " means!)

I don't know why, (or even if), it has to have this big of a delay, but there is no point comparing it to a wireless headset, or the amulet because it is not the same thing.  Surely if Apple wanted to create a device that could stream input from the mic to a computer with very little delay, they could do it, but we are talking about an app that is running on the existing iphone OS and which is sending data though wifi to our router, which is then routed to our pc, where a service is picking up the data and sending it to a virtual windows "recording device", which then gets passed to our speech engine.

There are a lot of layers of hardware and software in there and they are not necessarily all designed with reduced latency as their primary characteristic.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »
Ya, I knew what you meant. :P

(but I don't know what "pun your release nr's " means!)

I don't know why, (or even if), it has to have this big of a delay, but there is no point comparing it to a wireless headset, or the amulet because it is not the same thing.  Surely if Apple wanted to create a device that could stream input from the mic to a computer with very little delay, they could do it, but we are talking about an app that is running on the existing iphone OS and which is sending data though wifi to our router, which is then routed to our pc, where a service is picking up the data and sending it to a virtual windows "recording device", which then gets passed to our speech engine.

There are a lot of layers of hardware and software in there and they are not necessarily all designed with reduced latency as their primary characteristic.

Well being a system admin and all there is QoS (Quality of Service) on networks, both wired and wireless :p
With todays gigabit networks and 300mbps N wifi's it should not be much of a problem to greatly reduce if not remove delays.

But lets not go there, I think the info is clear on the subject right now, and that for now it is not a viable option.

On that subject though, next weekend I'll go and test the mics I was telling you about a few weeks ago, so lets see what those bring :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
0879 - I'm tired so hopefully this is going to work!  I'll explain tomorrow about the new stuff but feel free to explore.

You can install from scratch, or you can patch with this (warning it will overwrite your bin.xml)

New features include new events, a german pandorabot, some bug fixes, and Skype!

attachment removed.  revised version here:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=414.msg2873#msg2873
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:57:11 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
here are some sample Skype commands and events.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:56:20 AM by jitterjames »