Author Topic: ISY Home automation & VC  (Read 2021 times)

epotex

• View Profile
ISY Home automation & VC
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
Hey Everyone, After reading here almost on a daily basis in the last month and I learned a lot about the functionalities of VC, I was specifically interested in integrating my ISY home automation system with VC, I couldn't find any plugin or tutorial about how to integrate it just a post here and there, so I thought it will be cool to contribute in return to this awesome community my way of controlling and integrating VC & ISY so here you go.
This tutorial will be divided into 2 sections
1. ISY without the network module.
2. ISY with the network module (recommended - it will allow the ISY to trigger events on the VC)
1. Without the network module we can use the "scrape" function in VC to communicate with the ISY over the REST api to trigger scenes and programs on the ISY. The first thing that we need to do is to add new scrape action:

The first line is the structure of the request
The second line is an example of how you trigger a node (device)
The third line is an example of how you trigger a program (or scene)
That's it, now you can trigger events on the ISY directly from the VC.
2. I was happy with the new functionality, but I was missing two things: A.I Wanted to be able to query the status of each device on the ISY B. I wanted VC to be aware of changes (If the door open,send me a text)
Here is where the network module of the ISY comes to life:
We will set a new network resource: set your VC IP and make sure it listen to the UDP protocol
Create/or add to a current program on the ISY the trigger to send this notification to VC, which will generate event on the VC side, now we can trigger the VC with the events that being sent for the ISY.

I use the map functionality in order to keep the status of each device, scene or program.
Examples on how I use it:
1. If anyone turns the light on in the bedroom, it will send this event to VC, VC will set the status of the bedroom lights to "on"
2. If the main door opened, and I'm not home (I'm running another script to query the network and see if our phones connected, if anyone interested with "cheap proximity awareness" let me know) call me and warn me, if I'm home send me a TXT (VIA IFTTT Maker channel - super recommended) This integration really opened new possibilities for me and I have some ideas on expanding it even further. I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge, I hope this will help anyone that interested with similar integration.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:28:11 AM by epotex »