Author Topic: USBUIRT vs MCE IR transceivers  (Read 24693 times)

mrmagica

• View Profile
USBUIRT vs MCE IR transceivers
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
Just a heads up re/ 1.140 and 1.150. I thought I'd try the  USBUIRT function and Map function. Activated the plugin and on restart VC crashed everytime. I tried both versions and I tried it on 2 different Windows 7 machines, one 32 the other 64bit.

I thought I could use the MCE remote IR transceiver as a UIRT as wolfman has done. Doubt that would cause the crash though right? Is it possible to just copy and paste the hex codes into the map table from my pronto software?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:57:05 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
USBUIRT vs MCE IR tranceivers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:06:15 AM »
Usbuirt  is a completely different device.  You can't use it with an MCE transceiver.  The plugin crashes if you have no usbuirt drivers installed.  I haven't been able to figure out a way around this.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
I thought I could use the MCE remote IR transceiver as a UIRT as wolfman has done. Doubt that would cause the crash though right? Is it possible to just copy and paste the hex codes into the map table from my pronto software?

Mr. Wolf (although he probably doesn't mind being called wolfman  :biglaugh) made the same mistake.  I'm not sure why one would expect it to work though.

Yes you can copy and paste codes to the maps.  And if you wanted to do it that way you could send your codes to eventGhost easily enough as payloads, so that you would need only one macro in eventGhost that would be able to "resend" any code to your transceiver.  And the same could be done in the other directly, any event could be rebroadcast from eventGhost to an event in VC.

mrmagica

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
haha, I guess Wolf Man is a little less formal huh.... yeah figured it out now doing all the learning in EG. Hopefully the HALi will be around soon as I'm trying to do alot of IR - RF stuff now. Ordered a few relays for now so I can active a RF remote, dismantling the remote and taking out the PCB.... using an infra red relay - it's for a projector screen.

If anyones interested in that I'll do a little post.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
If anyones interested in that I'll do a little post.

We are always interested in stuff like that around here.  ;D

Please create a new thread in the tips and tricks area of the forum if you get around to it.

I recently converted an old USB keyboard and a power switch from an old PC case into a USB button for VC.  At some point I will post some information on that as well.  After assembling it I see some areas of improvement for VC to make use of such a thing so I'll be making some changes to the "hook" plugin and to the VC.OnSingle action for the next release as well.

I think Kalle once mentioned that it was possible to use a USBUIRT and an IR repeater (Powermid) to control RF devices...  Not sure if I remember that correctly.  Obviously you'd be limited to whatever rf frequency the powermid is using and I don't know how reliable it would be.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »
You're right James, it is possible to use the a Powermid in that way. In my case I used it with European 433MHz (long time ago). If anyone needs information, let me know and I will look into it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:09:12 PM by nime5ter »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
I would love to try it just for fun.  I have a powermid and a USBUIRT but my powermid operates on  418MHz and I don't think I have any other RF devices using that frequency.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: USBUIRT vs MCE IR tranceivers
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »
mmhh, to bad so you have no chance to check that it will work  ::hmm

mrmagica

• View Profile
Re: USBUIRT vs MCE IR transceivers
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Yes I thought about hacking apart a keyboard or something to make a USB button...

As for IR to RF via powermid I have a little experience... was actually messing around with it today getting no where. The idea is the power mid accepts  the IR ====> sends it via RF to the other half of the powermid, where it converts it back to IR.

The hope is, you forget the first IR ===> RF half. You aim your RF remote control, in my case a 433mhz x10 remote at the second powermid RF receiver. This will then convert the signal to an IR output as if it's being recieved from the first pwoermid. You capture this IR output in event ghost, or pronto or whatever. Reinstate the original half of the powermid. You can then learn this IR hex code into your programmable remote, or into EG / VC and operate your RF device via an IR signal. I have it working great with my X10 lighting which was becoming a pain. It now works flawlessly (for x10) from VC events for everything from lighting to power sockets.

However this is not a guaranteed success, you need need the power mid and the remote to work on the same frequency, in my case 433mhz - X10 also works on this frequency which helps. Often it seems difficult or impossible to capture the hex IR signal from the powermid when firing the RF remote at it. I have been trying to get an IR code from my RF projector screen trigger and no dice. This is why I will be breaking the RF remote case open, and triggering the switch inside with an IR relay, which i can trigger off my MCE remote transceiver output to triiger. Phew sounds complicated.

Would that HALi device help get round the need for any of this?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:13 AM »
Yes this works, I used it exact in this way before I bought the HALX. You need some attempts to capture the IR code.

mrmagica

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »
Annoyingly doesn't seem to work for my RF projector screen remote, can't figure out why both on 433mhz. I tried messaging the creator of the HALi to find out if they would be available but never got a response.... is there a similar RF / IR capture and repeater device - or is that a unique product. Would quite like to get hold of something that would do this.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 09:31:34 AM »
I have no first hand experience with this, but you can take a look at http://www.rfxcom.com/

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »
Annoyingly doesn't seem to work for my RF projector screen remote, can't figure out why both on 433mhz. I tried messaging the creator of the HALi to find out if they would be available but never got a response.... is there a similar RF / IR capture and repeater device - or is that a unique product. Would quite like to get hold of something that would do this.

Hi mrmagica

I had a similar issue with my Rf projector screen remote, I opened up the Rf remote and noticed that the operating frequency was 315mhz, so I decided to replace the Rf receiver in the Projector screen controller to 433mhz, so that my Halx controller could  control it. I then captured the RF signal from the Projector remote control and was able to control the projector screen using other methods such as vc, web page Ios apps etc.
If you require any help or more info on how to do this contact me.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »

Hi
I have responded to your pm. as far as I know there is no other gadget out there that is able to do IR/RF apart from my home home automation controller.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

mrmagica

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
I'll PM you re/ this - but my remote says its 433mhz....

Hi mrmagica

I had a similar issue with my Rf projector screen remote, I opened up the Rf remote and noticed that the operating frequency was 315mhz, so I decided to replace the Rf receiver in the Projector screen controller to 433mhz, so that my Halx controller could  control it. I then captured the RF signal from the Projector remote control and was able to control the projector screen using other methods such as vc, web page Ios apps etc.
If you require any help or more info on how to do this contact me.