Author Topic: Get mic to stay on  (Read 4621 times)

Huzz456

• View Profile
Get mic to stay on
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:15:01 AM »
Hi

Not sure if I'm missing something here but is there a way to get voxwav to keep the mic connected for a series of commands that will be executed as I speak them rather than the mic needing to be disconnected to send the command. I'd like to be able to press the button once, and get a continuous connection with responses to my commands until I press the button again to stop it listening

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Get mic to stay on
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
Not with the current version of VoxWav. You can hold the button down, and give multiple commands, and the TCPMic plugin can be configured to detect silences and break your commands up that way.  If you use tilt you can keep VoxWav on that way.

I have a beta of VoxWav in the works (pro version only) with an on/off button and silence detection built in, but I'm not sure how to roll it out.  Android does not allow users to downgrade if they don't like an update... and I can't offer multiple versions. It's weird and annoying!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:00:48 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »
Oh, it looks like Google recently added some new options for this. I'll have to check it out.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »
Even with default settings, you can already give a sequence of commands, it will execute them all in order, after you release the button.

Huzz456

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »
The beta sounds good,  would that mean it would act as an open mic would until I pressed off or would the app need to detect silence to effectively send the command?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
The beta sounds good,  would that mean it would act as an open mic would until I pressed off or would the app need to detect silence to effectively send the command?

One way or another, silence needs to be detected because the audio needs to be saved to a wav file and then passed to VC for processing.  You can do it now with the current version by detecting silence on the VC end.  This means your android is constantly sending data over the wifi though.

If you get/use the VoxWav beta, then the silence detection can be done on the device, which means your wifi bandwidth usage won't be so high.  It might also means less battery use but I'm not too sure about that because it might need more CPU power to monitor the volume levels.

In my mind though the whole point of VoxWav is that it is not always on, so you don't get a lot of false positives and you don't kill your battery.

If you want an always on mic that just turns your android into a windows microphone, it might make more sense to use pocket audio, or WO Mic etc.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »
I find everything about the google development process confusing...

Try this link.  Hopefully it will allow you to test the beta version and won't allow everyone out there to use the app for free!

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.jittersoft.voxwav

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:33:07 PM »
if i try to follow the link, i get an error:

"404. That’s an error.
The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know."

p.s.: i use voxwav pro

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
grrrrrr.  evil google.  are you in Germany?  Maybe google doesn't want you to be a beta tester if you are not in North America.  Or perhaps it will take a bit longer to show up.

The beta link works for me here, except that I'm not allowed to install my own paid app, because I'm not allowed to buy from myself  :bonk

Like I said, confusing.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
It's possible you need to be a member of the VoxCommando Google+ community for the link to work... ???

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
grrrrrr.  evil google.  are you in Germany?  Maybe google doesn't want you to be a beta tester if you are not in North America.  Or perhaps it will take a bit longer to show up.

The beta link works for me here, except that I'm not allowed to install my own paid app, because I'm not allowed to buy from myself  :bonk

Like I said, confusing.
in my case the URL works - which is the beta versions number?It show me Version 2.4 but I'm not sure I had it already on my android before I click the link  ::hmm
The link said "you are a tester of VoxWav"

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:02:42 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »
Sorry about the confusion.

OK, I can confirm.  The beta link will only work if you are a member of the VoxCommando community.  But you will need to be a paid user of VoxWav pro to use it.

Just ask to join the VoxWav google+ community and I'll add you asap.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/114617052029490561887?cfem=1

Kalle: you already have a beta which I emailed to you, but yours is the "special K" version ;)

If you want to test, uninstall it, then try the beta link

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »
Sorry about the confusion.

OK, I can confirm.  The beta link will only work if you are a member of the VoxCommando community.  But you will need to be a paid user of VoxWav pro to use it.

Just ask to join the VoxWav google+ community and I'll add you asap.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/114617052029490561887?cfem=1

Kalle: you already have a beta which I emailed to you, but yours is the "special K" version ;)

If you want to test, uninstall it, then try the beta link
I think the "special K" version has a special funktion (show me the: Min/Avg/Max) and it works pretty good for me  ;)
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
I think yours is exactly the same, but it has no license protection so I can't distribute it to "normal" users. :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »
Has anyone tried to actually install the beta?

In order to test it, I would need to create a whole new google account, with credit card etc, so that I could buy my own product, install it, and then see if it is possible to use the beta.  It is simply ridiculous.

Obviously I can test the actual application at any time, but not the beta process via the store, so I have no way of knowing if it works or what the user experience is like.