Author Topic: Multiple mics via multiple sound cards  (Read 6376 times)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Multiple mics via multiple sound cards
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
Hi gents,

You may be aware that I have recently bought a Lindy wireless audio box which is detected as its own sound card and transmits the audio via wifi to the little white box in my kitchen and can also transmit microphone data back to the PC in the bedroom...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Portable-Wireless-Audio-System/dp/B00475XR9U

I've finally found a cheap desktop mic that works with this device.

Thanks to James' magic new plugin I have been able to convince the PC to change sound cards so that audio will play downstairs in the kitchen by saying the phase "I'm in the kitchen".

Only problem I have now is I want to be able to stand in the kitchen whilst Vox is listening to my upstairs mic and say the words "I'm in the kitchen" to the mic downstairs.

Is there a way to have Vox listen to both Mics simultaneously?

Thanks as always,

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple mics via multiple sound cards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »
Hi gents,

You may be aware that I have recently bought a Lindy wireless audio box which is detected as its own sound card and transmits the audio via wifi to the little white box in my kitchen and can also transmit microphone data back to the PC in the bedroom...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Portable-Wireless-Audio-System/dp/B00475XR9U

I've finally found a cheap desktop mic that works with this device.

Thanks to James' magic new plugin I have been able to convince the PC to change sound cards so that audio will play downstairs in the kitchen by saying the phase "I'm in the kitchen".

Only problem I have now is I want to be able to stand in the kitchen whilst Vox is listening to my upstairs mic and say the words "I'm in the kitchen" to the mic downstairs.

Is there a way to have Vox listen to both Mics simultaneously?

Thanks as always,

-P
Hi MrWolf, normaly you can't use different audio inputs in VC at the same time. The only way to do this is using a software like VirtualAudioCable. This software simulate up to 256 Virtual Audio Cards and can route each input to windows master input (e.g. VC audio input). Example you have mic1, mic2 and mic3 installed in your pc (headset, audiobox ...) so you can mixdown all 3 mic at once to one input at the same time. So we can say, it is a big virtual line mixer. If you are really interest for this solution, please send me a PM.
You can find here a trial version to test it.

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:05:19 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Thanks mate, have dropped you a message.  You guys are the best.

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
Mr. wolf, you don't happen to have an android phone do you?  You could use VoxWav...

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
Yes mate, been meaning to install it for ages.  Have just done it. Very cool indeed!

My fond hope is to have some rooms without PCs where I can play music and switch lights on and off without Neesha having to grab her phone (mines always on me).

I wonder how cheap I could get an android device for each room to act as like a control panel.

I will have PCs upstairs and downstairs when we buy a place so maybe there's another solution involving some cables and me buying some more licences from you :)

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
I think about $150 each for a cheapo tablet

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:23:03 AM »
Yes mate, been meaning to install it for ages.  Have just done it. Very cool indeed!

My fond hope is to have some rooms without PCs where I can play music and switch lights on and off without Neesha having to grab her phone (mines always on me).

I wonder how cheap I could get an android device for each room to act as like a control panel.

I will have PCs upstairs and downstairs when we buy a place so maybe there's another solution involving some cables and me buying some more licences from you :)

-P
This 7" Android tablet works with VoxWav and is really cheap ~60 Euro. You found similar on ebay. The display is not the best but ok.

Kalle

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
Brilliant stuff!

Like the look of that.

In case anyone was interested in achieving the Virtual audio cable solution then it is fairly easy to setup, until you want them to actually start up with windows and be setup for the correct mics ready and waiting. 

I managed to get the VAC shortcuts to open with windows and setup ready to rock in the system tray by putting command lines into the targets of two shortcuts and then put them in the startup folder.  To get them to start minimised to the system tray you just go into properties of the two shortcuts and select "Run" then "Minimised"  The command lines in 'Target' will need to look like the below but with your mics listed rather than mine...

C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Synic Microphone (2- SYNIC Wire" /Output:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /AutoStart
C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Samson Microphone (2- Samson C0" /Output:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /AutoStart

Let me know if anyone wants to do this and are struggling.

Thanks,

-P

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
Brilliant stuff!

Like the look of that.

In case anyone was interested in achieving the Virtual audio cable solution then it is fairly easy to setup, until you want them to actually start up with windows and be setup for the correct mics ready and waiting.  

I managed to get the VAC shortcuts to open with windows and setup ready to rock in the system tray by putting command lines into the targets of two shortcuts and then put them in the startup folder.  To get them to start minimised to the system tray you just go into properties of the two shortcuts and select "Run" then "Minimised"  The command lines in 'Target' will need to look like the below but with your mics listed rather than mine...

C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Synic Microphone (2- SYNIC Wire" /Output:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /AutoStart
C:\Program Files\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Input:"Samson Microphone (2- Samson C0" /Output:"Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /AutoStart

Let me know if anyone wants to do this and are struggling.

Thanks,

-P
Thanks for your example  :hugs

And here the HALi-Scrape-Temperature commands. The first work without a modified HALi-Firmware and the second with modified FW.
You can contact Mij I'm sure he can modifying your firmware too  ;)  but it is not necessary to modify the FW
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:57:14 PM by jitterjames »

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
Hey Kalle,

Just got round to implementing this.  It's working!

Was just wondering how accurate you think it is?  Have you tested it using a thermometer?

-P

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
Hey Kalle,

Was just wondering how accurate you think it is?  Have you tested it using a thermometer?

-P
Hi Paul, the best solution is to put it outside from the HALx, that is very easy (I can show you how it works). My sensor show 11 degrees when it is real 22 degrees and it is relative linear (+- 1 degree). You must add in your command a bit math to have the relative correct temperature, but no problem, I have a ready to use command.
James, Imran and myself have work on the function to make it easier to use - so let me know if I can help  :bignod

Kalle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
Hey Kalle,

-P

I think it is reasonably accurate when the thermometer is outside the box, but as Kalle says it will be off by a constant value so you will need to offset by always adding 'x' degrees.  In other words, it needs to be calibrated.  Hopefully it will always be off by exactly 'x' degrees.  In my testing it seems to be pretty good.

It's easy to add or subtract using a single python action.

Lets assume you've got the temp from HALX but it is too low by 7 degrees.  You can use

PY.ExecString     result = {LastResult} + 7

now {LastResult} will be 7 greater than it was.

Note: you'll need to enable the python plugin (PY) for this to work.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »
Here is a slightly modified version with the simple math applied

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<command id="66" name="livingroom temp" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="If http://halx/status.xml will not work, change it to http://YourHalxIPadress/status.xml">
  <action>
    <cmdType>Scrape.XML</cmdType>
    <cmdString>http://halx/status.xml&amp;&amp;temp0</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>PY.ExecString</cmdType>
    <cmdString>result ={Match.1}+7</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>TTS.SpeakSync</cmdType>
    <cmdString>the current Temperature in the living room is {LastResult} degrees.</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
    <cmdString>{Match.1} +7 =  {LastResult} </cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <if ifBlockDisabled="False" ifNot="False">
    <ifType>(A)&lt;(B)</ifType>
    <ifParams> {LastResult} &amp;&amp;19</ifParams>
    <then>
      <action>
        <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
        <cmdString>{Match.1}</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
      <action>
        <cmdType>TTS.SpeakSync</cmdType>
        <cmdString>the Temperature is lower than 19 degree, you can switch on the heating.</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
    </then>
    <else />
  </if>
  <phrase>current Temp in living room, Temperatur im Wohnzimmer, temp im wohnzimmer</phrase>
</command>

Antrobus_Prime

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
I have a dual channel usb preamp that my Mic is connected to, in hopes that I can have 2 mics working simultaneously... This is still only a theory at the moment as I don't have a secont mic to test.. but it's a good bit of kit even with one mic.
http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/ART/Production/USB-DUAL-PRE/GoogleBase/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&utm_campaign=USB-DUAL-PRE&gclid=CJ7uxYGtvrcCFYjLtAodTlgAWA

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
Looks nice. Do you know if it can mix the two channels to mono?

A separate left and right channel might work fine too, I'm not sure.

I have an old school Beringer mixer that works great and was cheap, but it takes up too much space for the living room.