Author Topic: Conference Microphone  (Read 3624 times)

fonzie

• View Profile
Conference Microphone
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
I started using voxcommando just a day ago but I can already see the possibilities.  I eventually want to have it control my living room HTPC which is running XBMC.  I wanted to do this without using a handheld mic or a bulky headset.  I ran into this setup and thought I'd share it here.  It is a mic designed for conference calls and according to the reviews it is very sensitive, which would be a good thing if you want it to be at a distance.

MXL AC-404 Black USB Connector USB-Powered Microphone

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836709005&cm_re=conference_microphone-_-36-709-005-_-Product

I'm currently using the microphone from Xbox 360's rockband and it is working quite well from about 4-5 feet.  I do have to raise my voice a little though.  I imagine the mic above would work great in a living room scenario.  Once I get all of the quirks worked out in voxcommando, I may take the leap and purchase it.

Edit:  I did a little more reading and stumbled upon this article that talks a bit about microphones and voice recognition:

http://www.iautomate.com/pages/Whole-House-Microphones.html

What do you guys think about that PZM-11 mic?  Would it be feasible to somehow connect that to a PC?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:08:13 AM by fonzie »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Conference Microphone
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »
there are so many mics to choose from, unfortunately  it is really  hard to know until you try them.

It would  be feasible to connect the pzm-11 to a computer, but a bit expensive unless you are ready have a mixer that delivers phantom power.

thanks for the link.  Interesting read.

fonzie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
I found this phantom powered adapter for $42.40 US.  Seems simple enough to connect it through USB.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Icicle-Converter-Preamp/dp/B001EW5YQS

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
good find!  That looks like something that would really come in handy if it works well.  The price doesn't seem too bad either.

It's a shame that you can't buy this type of the stuff at the local "box store" so we could try stuff out and return it if we don't like it...

fonzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »
Totally agree. I hate having to deal with shipping and handling costs on returns.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
that's one good thing about the ps3eye.  In Canada you can get this at FutureShop, in the US probably at BestBuy, and I assume most other places have it.