Author Topic: A control with a keyboard, a trackpad, mic, speaker, and headset  (Read 3234 times)

Thoraxe

• View Profile
A control with a keyboard, a trackpad, mic, speaker, and headset
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to share with you a controller that found and should be receiving it tomorrow sometime.  It has some pretty cool features.  It is about iphone size has a backlit keyboard, arrow keys, left/right click, multi touch trackpad(scroll pad too),  lithium ion battery(its a common nokia battery), built in mic, built in speakers,  headset, a port for headsets,  backside remote ir remote,  2.4ghz wireless, and usb plug and play.  I order mine for only 38 bucks(amazon) with shipping in the U.S.A.  Soon as get it and give it a good run for the money. I will post a review and try to answer question or note some things it can be used for.  

Side notes the speaker and mic can be toggled.  The speaker and mic or put on different ends and you supposed to be able to talk on it like a celll phone.  The mic and speaker supposed to be able to work with skype, google voice, and windows speech.(hoping for  VoxCommando too)  I have seen ps3 support with this one too.

Links to check it out
youtube vid

amazon(where i bought it)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JC0ZEW/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00
manufactures website
http://unisen-usa.com/

Cant wait to get this tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Cheers,
Thoraxe
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:57:34 PM by Thoraxe »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: A control with a keyboard, a trackpad, mic, speaker, and headset
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
good catch  :clap  look pretty cool, let us know how it works.

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »
Wow.  If the microphone (and the wireless transmission of the signal) is any good on that thing it sounds like a real game-changer for those still looking for an affordable solution.  I look forward to hearing the results.   ::wiggle

Unfortunately this looks like it will be less available / more expensive for those outside the US, but hopefully this will change over time since I think the demand for this type of appliance is obviously going to increase over time.   Amazon.ca only has the version with no track-pad and it costs $50.  Still, if the microphone is good it will be worth it for some.

Thoraxe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
Okay now that I have had a day to kinda test this thing out here is my thoughts on it.

So where to start

This device I cannot recommend for purchase.  The main things that sets the whole device apart from others is that it had a mic and speaker.  Plus the ability for a headset on the top of it.  That being said the mic and speaker are cheap.  They should have used cell phone parts.  The jack was covered by extra plastic due to the curve design of the case.  Which means that they made a special headset for their jack on it.  I had to open mine up and trim away some of the plastic.  The mic input over 2.4 ghz wireless at best sound like what a talking through a headset on a wireless xbox controller.  So its possible to do voice command but not without modding it and using your own headset. 

As far a it being a htpc keyboard and mouse it works pretty good.  The keyboard is what really shines on this thing.  The trackpad has some useless features but it will get the job done as far as navigation goes.

The Ir remote works with only one device.  So for me that was okay.  I have most of my stuff working from my computer. 

Final thoughts

As the idea was good, the build was cheap and poorly designed in some areas.  Save your money for something else.  In the mean time I am going to look just for a good keyboard and track pad and a good mic.  So till im find one I just going to mod this one with some cell phone parts from a old cell phone.  Who knows I may even redesign the case and get it printed at my buddies house on his 3d printer. 

Cheers,
Thoraxe

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »
Okay now that I have had a day to kinda test this thing out here is my thoughts on it.

So where to start

This device I cannot recommend for purchase.  The main things that sets the whole device apart from others is that it had a mic and speaker.  Plus the ability for a headset on the top of it.  That being said the mic and speaker are cheap.  They should have used cell phone parts.  The jack was covered by extra plastic due to the curve design of the case.  Which means that they made a special headset for their jack on it.  I had to open mine up and trim away some of the plastic.  The mic input over 2.4 ghz wireless at best sound like what a talking through a headset on a wireless xbox controller.  So its possible to do voice command but not without modding it and using your own headset.  

As far a it being a htpc keyboard and mouse it works pretty good.  The keyboard is what really shines on this thing.  The trackpad has some useless features but it will get the job done as far as navigation goes.

The Ir remote works with only one device.  So for me that was okay.  I have most of my stuff working from my computer.  

Final thoughts

As the idea was good, the build was cheap and poorly designed in some areas.  Save your money for something else.  In the mean time I am going to look just for a good keyboard and track pad and a good mic.  So till im find one I just going to mod this one with some cell phone parts from a old cell phone.  Who knows I may even redesign the case and get it printed at my buddies house on his 3d printer.  

Cheers,
Thoraxe
Thanks for your short review - so we can say it is better to buy an amulet remote or a android device and use VoxWav  ;)
Fact is: if you by a VC license you get a 40$ discount to the amulet ( http://www.amuletdevices.com/index.php/Buy-Now.html

Kalle
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:57:15 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
Many thanks for the speedy report  :D.

It's too bad about the crappy audio.  Did you actually test it with VoxCommando?  Did any commands work?

I wonder if the poor quality is more from the quality of the parts, or the method they are using for digital transmission.

If you do test it with VoxCommando, or if you test with a new headset and it works well, please let us know!

Thoraxe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:22:41 PM »
Yea I did test in VC and WSR.  I have also tested other headsets. Keep in mind its the micro 3 lined jack.  So i used an adapter on 2 headsets.  I have Tried 6 different headsets.  They are all about the quality of talking over the wireless xbox 360 controllers on the pc.  Which is pretty good but doest work all the time. I think is do to small static sounds you hear. It is not a bad remote with a headset of any decent quality used for cell phones with stereo headphones.  I have to say though one of the best features of controller.  The toggle with the one and off of the audio.  So if you turn off your controller or used the toggle switch.  You dont have to go back into your settings and change them everytime you connect.  I think thats why I am willing to mod it to get it to work well for my needs.

I did change out the mic and the speaker on the control itself.  I have 2 old phones from a couple years back.  So i took one apart and replaced the built in parts.  Its better now but i think they are lowered power then the headset jack.  So now im going to reroute the built in speaker and mic.  I going to test out both the  built in and the cell phone.   I have an old set of turtle beaches that dont work.  I may try to mod that with it.  Since the mic and speakers on those are still good.  I really cant wait till i can just pick the remote up and switch the toggle and say"skype answer" and it just works like a phone with command possibilities.
Little off topic :)
Really my main goal is put together a work station and entertainment system that works for anybody.  I have on my pc right now numerous input devices and they all serve a purpose.   Voxcommand makes it for so many other ways to interact with computer possible.  The flexibility makes it great.  I can use photoshop and increase my production and quality in combination with Vox.   I never have to use the keyboard now.  Its wonderful.  I can just lay back with my wacom tablet and headset on and just relax while i work.  My back strain is down.  I really can go on for days about this and other creative things with vox.  Stuff like this will change everything.

Cheers,
Thoraxe
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:26:07 PM by Thoraxe »