Author Topic: Andrea Array-2S  (Read 1990 times)

tria

• View Profile
Andrea Array-2S
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »
Hello,

I purchased Andrea Array-2S for around 40 USD, it is a microphone array (stereo microphones), and I believe it has good performance for a hand/head free mic. I tried placing it away from me (around 1.5 meters), and was able to catch my voice and have it recognized at around 75-92% accuracy in VC. The mic comes with an external audio card that can be connected via USB, and has a software along with it (you need to download it). The software allows you to tweak the different settings, like the volume control, noise cancellation, echo cancellation, and a way to direct the mic in a certain range/direction to only focus on that range/direction. I must say that you have to enable/disable and play with the volume in order to find the best result. For example, if I moved the mic closer without changing the configs, I end up with 0% recognition (or wrong recognition). But if I modify them again, I can reach a better recognition. Also the placement/direction affect it as well.

As a regular mic, I must admit it is a great one at getting a clear voice, and is suitable for VoIP calls and such even if I move it away to longer distances. As a mic for voice recognition, it do a fairly good job, but sometimes it is not accurate, and need lots of adjustments. The only problem is that it cannot differentiate between the audio coming from the speakers and my voice when I am watching movies with high volume. But all in all, I think it is suitable for voice recognition and VC.

Just wanted to share my experience in the hope that it might be of help to others.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:51:02 AM by tria »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Andrea Array-2S
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »
Hello,

I purchased Andrea Array-2S for around 40 USD, it is a microphone array (stereo microphones), and I believe it has good performance for a hand/head free mic. I tried placing it away from me (around 1.5 meters), and was able to catch my voice and have it recognized at around 75-92% accuracy in VC. The mic comes with an external audio card that can be connected via USB, and has a software along with it (you need to download it). The software allows you to tweak the different settings, like the volume control, noise cancellation, echo cancellation, and a way to direct the mic in a certain range/direction to only focus on that range/direction. I must say that you have to enable/disable and play with the volume in order to find the best result. For example, if I moved the mic closer without changing the configs, I end up with 0% recognition (or wrong recognition). But if I modify them again, I can reach a better recognition. Also the placement/direction affect it as well.

As a regular mic, I must admit it is a great one at getting a clear voice, and is suitable for VoIP calls and such even if I move it away to longer distances. As a mic for voice recognition, it do a fairly good job, but sometimes it is not accurate, and need lots of adjustments. The only problem is that it cannot differentiate between the audio coming from the speakers and my voice when I am watching movies with high volume. But all in all, I think it is suitable for voice recognition and VC.

Just wanted to share my experience in the hope that it might be of help to others.
Hi tria, thanks for your report  :clap
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:12:25 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********