Author Topic: How to use Vox with Onkyo AV  (Read 8735 times)

TeDeV

• View Profile
How to use Vox with Onkyo AV
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:54:26 AM »
Hi, can someone please help me, on how to control my Onkyo receiver using VOX?

i can see there is a addon, but i don't know how to use it, or how to use the commands. Still trying to figure this out.

Are there any ready-xml for me to include? My onkyo model is NR-609

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: How to use Vox with Onkyo AV
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »
I am attaching a .rar with some xml files (a groups and some payloadXML) and an excel sheet with the Onkyo ISCP command reference.  Not all commands in this sheet will work with the nr609

- Enable the Onkyo plugin (in VC >> Options >> Plugins) save options and restart VC.  You have probably already done this.

- Copy the 2 payload files to your VC\payloads folder  (onkyoinputs.xml and onkyomodes.xml)

- Import VcGrp_Onkyo.xml into your command tree.

Let me know if you need any help.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »
note that the plugin is one way only.  We can only send information to the Onkyo, not get information from it, so you can't use any of the "QSTN" commands.

TeDeV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »
hey james, thanks a lot for the help. i will try it as soon as i can when i get home.

Getting info is not what i need. I just want to say which input i want, and what volume i need it to be. :-)

TeDeV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:30:00 AM »
hey james, i was finally able to try it. it works, but when i try to choose an input, it is always selecting the BD/DVD option

if i say input PC, it goes to BD/DVD, etc.

and the other thing is that it doesn't turn on the receiver. i can turn it off, but not on.

I guess that the lan card is not working when the receiver is off?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »
hey james, i was finally able to try it. it works, but when i try to choose an input, it is always selecting the BD/DVD option

if i say input PC, it goes to BD/DVD, etc.

and the other thing is that it doesn't turn on the receiver. i can turn it off, but not on.

I guess that the lan card is not working when the receiver is off?

This is correct.  I only use 3 inputs.  You can edit the payloads\onkyoinputs.xml to use the inputs and the phrases you want.  See the attached image.

The power issue is one that I have complained to Onkyo about.  Talk about retarded engineers.  Basically when the Onkyo powers off, so does the network card, and they also offer no WOL function.  I have the same issue with my stupid LG NAS.  In the case of the Onkyo you can go into the network settings and make sure ■Network Control is set to ENABLED.

The problem here is, that when you turn off your receiver, it doesn't actually turn off!  I measured power consumption on mine and when on it uses about 30+ watts and when "off" (or standby as they call it) it uses about 20+ watts ::club.  The same thing happens if you enable hdmi passthrough so that you can watch TV even when the Onkyo is "off".

If you disable both the hdmi passthrough and the Network Control (which I have done) then when you turn it off it is really off and uses about 0 watts.  So, what seems to be happening is that if either network control or pass-through are enabled, then the standby mode is only powering down the amp and the computer that is controlling everything is fully on and quite power hungry, requiring 20 watts.  Pathetic really.  Atrocious!

To me, this is the opposite of "energy star" and Onkyo and all other companies should be forced to fix problems like these.  My solution is to use my IR blaster to turn the Onkyo On.  Of course, if you do this, remember that it actually takes quite a while for the computer to boot so you won't be able to issue any network commands for about 30 seconds (just a guess - I haven't timed it).

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
By the way, a handy tool that lets you test and then grab Onkyo ISCP codes is a desktop program called OyRemote

http://www.krautsourced.com/?page_id=78

of course the excel sheet may be just as good for some people.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:34:28 PM by jitterjames »

shango

• $upporter
  • No English flag :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »
Knew I shouldn't have down graded my Onkyo :(

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
what did you downgrade to?

shango

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
Still an Onkyo, I had a 577 then changed to an 309,

it's a newer amp but 1 level down, budget end basically, wanted 3D support which the 577 didn't have.

anything higher i'd just be paying for features and inputs id never use.

wouldnt buy anything other than onkyo now.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »
when I bought my NR509 it was specifically for the networking.  This model was revolutionary when released for having such features at this price point.  At the time I wasn't really thinking about using it for network radio but it's really nice to be able to listen to my favourite internet station without having to turn the pc on, and be able to access music on USB or my NAS is pretty cool too, as is the ipod app, but my main reason originally was for voice control.

Your model probably supports fairly comprehensive control via IR so with a USB-UIRT, or a windows MCE transceiver with blasting capability, or a HALX (soon to be available I think) you would be able to do a lot.  I don't think you'll ever get commands like "set volume 27" with IR and it is unidirectional, but still you can do almost everything else, like selecting audio or video input, DSP mode, volume up and down, adjust base, treble, center channel level, etc.  I can do all this on my 509 with IR.

I guess it is possible that the NR models have more IR commands than the SR models though, I don't really know.

shango

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
TBH, the only buttons i use on my amp is vol up/down and change between htpc and ps3 channel thats it.

Its a bit too much of a work around for those features, i do look forward to having everything networked with Lan over HDMI once that comes on more devices though, will make things a lot easier.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
My amp powers on remotely via the Onkyo Remote Android App for me when its turned off.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »
My amp powers on remotely via the Onkyo Remote Android App for me when its turned off.

Most likely that is because it is not really off, and is wasting electricity.  Some people don't care about this, which is fine, but I do personally.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
I have an NR509
I did a Google Search and found some other friendlies that provided some of the codes I think, will give a try tonite....cause I use inputs
Game and CBL/SAT too.
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6020
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1347463/onkyo-iscp-commands

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:01 AM »
the excel sheet that I posted here: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=766.msg6035#msg6035 is fairly comprehensive.  Same source as your first link I believe.

The document is from 2007 so you may need to experiment with the inputs.  There may be some new numbers on the 509 or some inputs may have new names.

To select an input you use the command SLI** where ** is a two digit number.  This is the list in the excel sheet I uploaded and that you linked to in your last post:

Code: [Select]
"00" sets VIDEO1    VCR/DVR
"01" sets VIDEO2    CBL/SAT
"02" sets VIDEO3    GAME/TV    GAME
"03" sets VIDEO4    AUX1(AUX)
"04" sets VIDEO5    AUX2
"05" sets VIDEO6
"06" sets VIDEO7
"10" sets DVD
"20" sets TAPE(1)    TV/TAPE
"21" sets TAPE2
"22" sets PHONO
"23" sets CD
"24" sets FM
"25" sets AM
“26” sets TUNER
"27" sets MUSIC SERVER
"28" sets INTERNET RADIO
"29" sets USB/USB(Front)
"2A" sets USB(Rear)
"40" sets Universal PORT
"30" sets MULTI CH
"31" sets XM*1
"32" sets SIRIUS*1

On the tx-nr509 you can get the following inputs to work for you:
NET   SLI28
BD    SLI10  (which used to be called DVD not BD... and by the way you can rename your 'BD' input to something else like 'PC' but it will still be SLI10)

As shown in the list the input for game is SLI02.  If you are trying to find another input that is not listed it should be easy enough to figure it out using trial and error.  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:42:00 AM by jitterjames »

m0v1em4n

• View Profile
    • My home Cinema
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »
[attachment=1]

Hi Guy

here is the Onkyo codes for 2010

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
Thanks.  After a pretty  quick look, it doesn't seem like much has changed!