Author Topic: triggering a vc event from eventghost  (Read 9813 times)

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
triggering a vc event from eventghost
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
not quite understanding the vc.triggerevent syntax fully.

i want to call the startducking action / command when i switch the mic on (from my iphone if you must know via hipporemote). the idea is that it will switch the mic on and auto softmute xbmc too. this works fine when i speak JARVIS but if the volume is high this isn't an option.

i've got the communication working fine for vc.on / standby etc. just want to be able to call custom events i think. what am i missing?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: triggering a vc event from eventghost
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
I'm not really sure what you are asking.  Are you trying to figure out how to get an event to fire in VoxCommando when you press a button on your iPhone?

If that is the case there is nothing that needs to be done in voxcommando.  The question is, can hippo remote send a udp message directly or do you need to go through something like EventGhost.  I am not familiar with hippo remote.  I will take a look at the free version but it probably doesn't have what we need.

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »
i've already got hipporemote talking to event ghost already. see this post from their blog

Code: [Select]
ONE MORE THING

There is one other pretty significant new feature in HippoRemote Pro 3.1. You can now assign buttons and macros to access URLs. This is quite useful for a couple things.

First, I think this will be really helpful to EventGhost users. Instead of assigning keyboard shortcuts to your EventGhost actions, you can instead map them to URLs using the web server plugin. No more worrying about keyboard conflicts with other apps.

Second, you can use this feature to control other non-PC devices on your network. For example, if you have a networked AV receiver that powers your speakers, you can create macros to control the master volume. Super super useful.

Creating one of these macros is pretty straightforward, just put the URL you want to access between some brackets like so:

[http://{IP address of device}/some_url]

If you want to target the computer that HippoRemote is connected to:

[http://localhost/some_url]

And if you want to send an HTTP POST command, just add a space after the URL and then your POST body:

[http://{IP address of device}/post_url POST_BODY]

This feature is still experimental and like all things involving networking, there are many potential gotchas. If you run into any issues or have questions, please don’t hesitate to send me an email.

what i'm actually asking is how do i get eventghost to call a custom vc command. i want 'startducking' to run when i tell it too from eventghost using (i think) the vc.triggerevent

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
I've tried the following variants

VC.TriggerEvent(startducking)
VC.TriggerEvent startducking
VC.TriggerEvent [startducking]

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
GOT IT! I had to use the payload bit. Silly me. Anyway, for anyone in future searching this post this is what I did!

Could I suggest that the wiki page showed a screenshot sample too? Might avoid this confusion for idiots like me.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
sorry I didn't read the title of the question, and you didn't mention anything about eventGhost in the question itself, so I wasn't sure what you were asking.

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:52:59 AM »
next question!

is there a way to kill idletimeout once it's timer has been set?

for example quickly toggling on, then off works but then once the timer is up it goes back to standby.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
no, but why do you want to do that?

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
just because!

my idletimer is set to unsoftmute. so sometimes it will take the volume from full to 35 meaning i have to then change the volume back up again manually. so to prevent this sometimes i just switch him (jarvis) off altogether.

just wondered if it's possible. but it's not, so will have to cope.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
I'm just asking because maybe you could do things a different way.  But I still don't understand what you are doing.  Bear in mind that I don't know what your whole setup is like so I would need a pretty complete description to be able to offer some advice.  Your last statement completely confused me.

The idle-timeout should be automatically extended every time a command is recognized.  Maybe you just need to extend the length of the timeout.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »
your post got me thinking.  I did a quick test and noticed that if you have the idle-timeout feature enabled and you switch to green mode (on), then switch to red (off), the timeout will take you from Off to Standby, which I would consider a bug.  It should stay in the Off position.  Is this what is causing problems for you?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
your post got me thinking.  I did a quick test and noticed that if you have the idle-timeout feature enabled and you switch to green mode (on), then switch to red (off), the timeout will take you from Off to Standby, which I would consider a bug.  It should stay in the Off position.  Is this what is causing problems for you?
Haha, that is not a bug, that is a automatic "don't kill me" feature in VC  :clap
***********  get excited and make things  **********

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »

thats it exactly! i like the idle timer but want a way to disable it via an event lets say.

alexktz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
james,

this is beginning to drive me nuts! is there anyway you could implement such a feature in the options in future releases??

thanks

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
james,

this is beginning to drive me nuts! is there anyway you could implement such a feature in the options in future releases??

thanks

The standby "bug" is fixed in version 0.938 http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=720.msg5565#msg5565

I'm not sure the version 0.938 is solved your problem. I do not really understand, how the ducking start/end must work for you - but we can make many things with logic. I will help you to figured out, when you give me more information,  what you need exactly for ducking start/end

example:

You say: "Jarvis" (I'm not sure, but in your first post "Jarvis" is not your prefix, it is a phrase to trigger the "duckingstart" command , normaly you need no phrase to trigger "duckingstart" when you use the start.prefix event)
VC: softmute (xyz) or partial mute -> trigger VC.On -> start idletimer with 10 sec. countdown and wait for a command.

1. Option - You say nothing: after 10 sec. -> VC softunmute (xyz) or partial unmute and return in standby.
2. Option - VC recognized a command and execute it -> VC softunmute (xyz) or partial unmute and return in standby

@James: It is possible to trigger the amuletUSB.exe with prefix or any hard button (on a other remote) over EG? This where a new cool feature for anyone who does not has a "Amulet-remote".

Kalle

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:34:31 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********