Author Topic: The Microsoft Kinect  (Read 19748 times)

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
The Microsoft Kinect
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
I'd like to submit the Microsoft Kinect as the fantastic microphone for speech recognition.  It has a 4 microphone array with some pretty good noise cancellation.  Since the SDK Drivers have finally been released, you just plug in the Kinect to a PC, install the driver package and you're good to go.

I'm able to use it to near perfection from across the room (~8 meters).  Plus there's the added bonus of being able to do some hand-waving commands :)

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/download.aspx

Current price is $120 on Buy.com

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: The Microsoft Kinect
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »
Really?  Did you do anything special to set it up?  I have installed it and tested it with very poor results.

see here: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=512.0

How does it work when you have music / TV playing ?

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
That's surprising.  I didn't do anything special and I almost always have pretty loud music/tv shows playing and also usually a fan going.

I currently have it setup in my bedroom and not my living room PC with 7.1 surround (going to try it there once I get around to installed Windows 7 on my HTPC).  So right now I have it placed under my 37" monitor in the middle with 1 speaker on either side of the monitor both pointed in the same direction as the Kinect.

I saw your post about the "green zone" and that sounds fantastic.  It could track multiple people and customize commands for each of them.  Hopefully that functionality will somehow be included in a future driver release.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
I ordered a Kinect just now James and I will have it tomorrow noon.
I will then install it using the drivers provided in the SDK and help you test and finetune.
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »
well I hope you get better results from it out of the box than I did.  I actually decided to ignore my real work today and play with the SDK a bit.  I am definitely making progress, but the more I progress the more I despair for the potential of this product.

I'm thinking about this concept of an array microphone now and wondering.  If the microphone is gathing input and doing complex mathematics to isolate sound and form direction "beams" etc., what would happen if one of the four microphones in the array was a little bit "off".  I'm wondering if this could be what is happening to me.  For one thing, the angles that I am getting back are off.  When I am sitting to the left of center it tells me that I am directly in front of the Kinect.  This reminds me why I stopped using raid disk arrays many years ago...  Maybe all this Kinect needs is the ability to recalibrate itself somehow. 

In my opinion this beta SDK is extremely limited, missing important stuff, poorly documented etc.  This is understandable for something very new.  BUT, my fear is that Microsoft won't really follow up with the fixes, features, documentation, expanded language models etc. (i.e. anything other than english) because ultimately there won't be any money to be made from doing all that work.  Hopefully I am wrong.

There are other problems, acoustic echo cancellation, which should prevent your music etc. from going back into the microphone does not seem to work at all.  It is possible that in my case it is not working because I am using digital coax out to my 5.1 amp, but anyone using an htpc is probably going to be using that, toslink, or hdmi audio and having the same problem.

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
I'd be happy to test the angles that the mics are seeing on my Kinect if you'd like.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
If you guys tell me how to look at those angles from my kinect (which I will have tomorrow noon) I'd be gald to share it also.  Keep in mind I'm not a coder/programmer so don't copy-paste some FUNCTION or whatever ;)
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »
lol.  Ok.  I'll send something as soon as it is ready.  I've actually got something kind of stuffed into VC but it reminds me of the stories I heard as a kid of how my Father and Uncle jammed a Chevy V8 engine into an MG B.

My Uncle (R.I.P) also put a V8 into a Lotus.  http://www.lotusbuzz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:16:42 AM »
lol.  Ok.  I'll send something as soon as it is ready.  I've actually got something kind of stuffed into VC but it reminds me of the stories I heard as a kid of how my Father and Uncle jammed a Chevy V8 engine into an MG B.

My Uncle (R.I.P) also put a V8 into a Lotus.  http://www.lotusbuzz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382
Hi Friends,

I have found a free audio software for use with microphones. This is specifically for working with array microphones and hands free mic's. This has a special "NoiseCancelling" process (only for andreaelectronics mic's), but the software works with all mic's.

http://www.andreaelectronics.com/Buy/ProductDesc/AudioCommander6.htm

Greetings Kalle
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:32:16 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »
If only that program worked with the Kinect!  I don't seem to be able to make any adjustments...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
Hi Friends,

I have found a free audio software for use with microphones. This is specifically for working with array microphones and hands free mic's. This has a special "NoiseCancelling" process (only for andreaelectronics mic's), but the software works with all mic's.

Greetings Kalle

What would the purpose of this be though, if you don't have an Andrea Microphone?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 02:06:45 AM »
What would the purpose of this be though, if you don't have an Andrea Microphone?
Sorry, I was noticed, without a microphone of "Andrea" can't be set any noise reduction, but very good is the automatic setting for the microphone level, functions without a "Andrea microphone."

Kalle

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
After reinstalling everything (Windows, Kinect, Vox) I noticed I was getting way worse performance.  I was trying to remember if I did anything differently, and it turns out that the answer was

!

After it turned down the mic volume (which I suppose I could have done manually) I am getting much better results was far less false positives (none yet after 3 hours)

FYI!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »
After reinstalling everything (Windows, Kinect, Vox) I noticed I was getting way worse performance.  I was trying to remember if I did anything differently, and it turns out that the answer was

!

After it turned down the mic volume (which I suppose I could have done manually) I am getting much better results was far less false positives (none yet after 3 hours)

FYI!

;D ;D ;D

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »
Just wanted to chime in again after I have set up my new theater at my new place.

I setup my Kinect on top of my side left speaker on the wall aimed towards the center where the couch is.  Initially it didn't respond super well to me unless i talked like a robot, and would hardly ever get my roommate or his girlfriend.  Well, after doing 3 voice training sessions on the buillt-in software in windows, it gets what I say with 95%+ confidence and my roommate and his girlfriend with 90%+.  I have yet to have a false positive and I've been using it for about a week everyday.  Just wanted to say it is possible!  This is just with setting the mic volume to about half, and with Vox in standby mode with a 2 word prefix.

Still loving the software.  Amazing work and upgrades, James!