Author Topic: microphones  (Read 4885 times)

nofear87

• View Profile
microphones
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »
Hey James,
i try to write english here, so i hope it will be better soon.
I installed VoxCommando first time today. I used version 0.733 but i will read the changes and test the recent version.

Are there important changes?

I have two Questions:
I read that you have test some Microphones. And u are unhappy with the Bluetooth devices, but why....are they so bad?
I think they are the cheapest solution for a wireless usage?
The best solution for me will be an microphone witch controls the whole room...are there any devices which meed this demands?

My second question is: is it possible to turn VoxCommand off per Speak? I only found the Standby command?

Thx for your dedication.

Robert
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:40:46 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
microphones
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
Hey James,
i try to write english here, so i hope it will be better soon.
I installed VoxCommando first time today. I used version 0.733 but i will read the changes and test the recent version.

Are there important changes?

I have two Questions:
I read that you have test some Microphones. And u are unhappy with the Bluetooth devices, but why....are they so bad?
I think they are the cheapest solution for a wireless usage?
The best solution for me will be an microphone witch controls the whole room...are there any devices which meed this demands?

My second question is: is it possible to turn VoxCommand off per Speak? I only found the Standby command?

Thx for your dedication.

Robert

to quote a post from another forum: "The Bluetooth headsets generally available sample audio at a lower rate, the ones cell phones and telephones use."

I have personally only tried using a bluetooth microphone once (an inexpensive one), and I had very poor results.  VoxCommando worked reasonably well for basic commands, as long as they did not sound too similar.  Commands to request music by artist or album name worked ok but not great, and straight dictation it was completely hopeless.  I have also spent a lot of time looking online through various forums and web vendors and this seems to be to general opinion of bluetooth.  I have also spoken with other users of more expensive bluetooth headsets and they have also been disappointed.  I think the basic problem is that both the  amount of information (bandwidth) and the frequency range of bluetooth is too small for speech recognition.  I also notice this when talking to people who are using bluetooth headsets on their phones.  they are harder to understand!

You can use an array microphone, or even a simple wired microphone if the quality is decent, but the best solution is still a headset, but not bluetooth.  Any open microphone where you are talking to it from a distance of more than a few feet is going to have some problems, especially if there are other people in the room or you are listening to loud music or video.

I have found that the plantronics headset that I own works very well but it is BIG, and not very comfortable.  I think maybe an FM headset (analog) could also work well but I have not tried one yet.

Yes there are some big changes in voxCommando between 0.73 and 0.79 !

nofear87

• View Profile
microphones
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 07:13:14 AM »

to quote a post from another forum: "The Bluetooth headsets generally available sample audio at a lower rate, the ones cell phones and telephones use."

I have personally only tried using a bluetooth microphone once (an inexpensive one), and I had very poor results.  VoxCommando worked reasonably well for basic commands, as long as they did not sound too similar.  Commands to request music by artist or album name worked ok but not great, and straight dictation it was completely hopeless.  I have also spent a lot of time looking online through various forums and web vendors and this seems to be to general opinion of bluetooth.  I have also spoken with other users of more expensive bluetooth headsets and they have also been disappointed.  I think the basic problem is that both the  amount of information (bandwidth) and the frequency range of bluetooth is too small for speech recognition.  I also notice this when talking to people who are using bluetooth headsets on their phones.  they are harder to understand!

You can use an array microphone, or even a simple wired microphone if the quality is decent, but the best solution is still a headset, but not bluetooth.  Any open microphone where you are talking to it from a distance of more than a few feet is going to have some problems, especially if there are other people in the room or you are listening to loud music or video.

I have found that the plantronics headset that I own works very well but it is BIG, and not very comfortable.  I think maybe an FM headset (analog) could also work well but I have not tried one yet.

Yes there are some big changes in voxCommando between 0.73 and 0.79 !

That sounds plausible ;)
You forget my second questions :)

I search for wireless microphones without bluetooth and found these ones:
http://geizhals.at/?cat=sphsb&v=e&plz=&dist=&sort=t&xf=1262_Funk+analog~1262_Funk+digital
especially those both i find interesting because of there price :)
http://geizhals.at/a221886.html
http://geizhals.at/a320409.html

The one from Microsoft is more comfortable because its smaler (got for control out of my bed xD )...i will search some reviews/test an maybe i bought it and
post my experience.

Siutsch

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
microphones
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
You forget my second questions :)

I search for wireless microphones without bluetooth and found these ones:
http://geizhals.at/?cat=sphsb&v=e&plz=&dist=&sort=t&xf=1262_Funk+analog~1262_Funk+digital
especially those both i find interesting because of there price :)
http://geizhals.at/a221886.html
http://geizhals.at/a320409.html

The one from Microsoft is more comfortable because its smaler (got for control out of my bed xD )...i will search some reviews/test an maybe i bought it and
post my experience.

your second question? about putting VC into 'off mode' using a voice command?  It is not possible, but I will include it in version 0.792.  I will try to post something by the 17th.

I have access to the internet (obviously) but not to my development machine.

I have tested the logitech clearchat (you can see this on the forum already).  I found the results were quite good, but I returned it and replaced it with the plantronics 995.  The quality was about the same for both microphones.  I have not tried the microsoft earpiece but I am curious about it.  I suspect that it may use its own version of bluetooth.

If you can easily return items, then it would be great if you could buy both the logitech and the microsoft microphones and compare them and then let us know. :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: microphones
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »

you can actually do it if you use eventGhost.  Paste this into your eventGhost tree and then trigger it with either a remote button or a voice command:
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<EventGhost Version="1436">
    <Macro Name="Vox Stop" Expanded="True">
        <Action>
            BroadcastListener.Broadcast(u'Vox', u'Off', 33000)
        </Action>
    </Macro>
</EventGhost>

for this to work you need the latest version of broadcaster and VC needs to be listening on port 33000

note that I am changing how eventGhost sends commands to VC so this may not work the same in future versions.

nofear87

• View Profile
Re: microphones
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
Versuch das:

http://www.amazon.de/TerraTec-E3345-iQuader-Mikrofon/dp/B0010E5RCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ce-de&qid=1281525574&sr=8-1

Siehe auch hier:
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=47.0

Siutsch.

thx, the microphone looks interesting...but the use with difrent backgroundsounds seems to be complicated.
so i search a small microphone for one ear like the one from microsoft. But i read some tests and the result was disillusioning.

so my search continue...

why is the price of the second hand microphone from terratec so cheap??? i cant imagine that there is no catch in it.

greeting
Robert