Author Topic: Google Glass Mic Interface  (Read 3272 times)

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Google Glass Mic Interface
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
So I am a Google Glass Explorer and the Glasses are amazing but certainly "light" on useful glassware apps at this point.  I currently use PocketAudio on my Galaxy S3 to control VC and it works well, but want to take it a step further and turn my Google Glass into the remote Mic.  I know I can sideload the PocketAudio app into the glasses, but would like to push the boundries by creating event triggers such as connect to wifi and VC does a greeting, presents options of common voice commands like "play music, turn on lights, turn on television, etc" on the glass display.

Question is a simple one, has anyone on here already tested Glass with VC?  If the mic is too low quality or something I would rather know before I look for and hire an android developer.

Thanks in advance and best holidays to everyone!

Sean
“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Google Glass Mic Interface
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has tried it but I would guess, probably not.

You should try VoxWav on your phone.  I think even VoxWav free is probably much better than pocket audio.  It would be cool if you could also get it running on Glass.  I have no idea if this would be possible or not.

As far as event triggers go, I'm pretty sure you could use tasker to send events to VC for things like "connect to wifi and VC does a greeting" etc. but don't know about showing options on the glass display.  VoxWav does support showing messages via OSD actions, as well as TTS (VoxWav pro only).

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
Thanks As Always Jitter,
Was certainly planning on testing Voxwav as well but wanted to start with Pocket Audio because I already have the APK in hand and once launched it requires no interaction, is just an always on mic.  Still working on the side loading part,for whatever reason my ADB recognizes my Galaxy S3 fine but doesn't recognize the Glass, trying alternative on installing Launchy on the glass and going from there.  Soon as I have either loaded and tested for audio functionality will update the thread.

The event triggers and interaction would be a pipe dream for down the road, would definitely require some actually development, and I know my limitations =D

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
Well after spending the morning getting ADB Driver to work, then side loaded PocketAudio and VoxWav Free, installed Launcher so I could access them, Install settings so that I could enable bluetooth keyboard... was oh so close to having it working but at the last moment went bust.  Neither App will work with Glass unfortunately due to interface issues.  Pocket Audio requires one time setup of server IP address which was the reason for my bluetooth keyboard but the interface doesn't actually show where I can type and click save (as it would on cell).

And Jitter, was much closer with VoxWav Free but somewhat of the same problem, I could see the app and run it, but I could not see the "Radio" icon to pick my host IP  :-\  have shared a video of glass screen here so you can see what I mean. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmqfay0co9p3qbh/glass.mov

For either app to be useful a true Glassware app would have to be built as launching these through "launchy" is a bit clunky.  I will explore creating a glassware app that communicates with VC, love the "tilt to activate" idea since glass is already built in for tilt head to turn on.

was worth a try, for now I will stick with Velcro Strapping my Phone to my wrist (Loved the Youtube Video!).

Sean

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
First of all, that is not VoxWav free.

If you are using a keyboard, I think most apps should support the "menu" button, which on the keyboard can be simulated using Ctrl-Esc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:02:49 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
If you downloaded the apk from this forum then it is quite an old version.

Are you able to install apps from the Google play store on your google glass?

You can get VoxWav from the Play Store:
Android app on Google Play
If not, do you need me to send you an updated apk for VoxWav Free?

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
Jitter,
No Play store for glass users yet  :-[ I would need APK file, e-mail REMOVED@gmail.com in order to install through ADB.  Please send and I will gladly try again.  Apologize for not post build in my first post but I believe I was using VoxWav 1.4 downloaded from forum.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:42:09 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:23 PM »