Author Topic: Voxcommando & Rom Collection Browser  (Read 1950 times)

neomaycry

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Voxcommando & Rom Collection Browser
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
Hey all,

I recently purchased Voxcommando for my home entertainment system, and I love it.  The basic functionality is tremendous, and it lets me do pretty much everything I need inside XBMC.  My question relates specifically to the addon, Rom Collection Browser.  I have everything set up wonderfully for manual control, but I would like to add an additional functionality for Voxcommando.  In particular, I want to add the following command:

Play Game <string>

Now, in order to do this, I would need to tell Voxcommando to scan the list of roms I have available inside the addon.  I am not sure if this is possible, and I've waited a few days to ask so that I could browse for similar topics in the forums, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Can anyone offer advice for getting this function up and running?

Thanks,
On the verge of a dream  ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Voxcommando & Rom Collection Browser
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
Hi neomaycry.  Welcome to the forum.

It's probably going to be tricky to get the addon to launch a specific ROM without modifying the addon itself.  Does the ROM Browser addon ultimately launch an exe with a parameter though?  If that is the case there might be a way to do it directly.  The problem is that I don't have any experience with ROMs and I don't have any so it's kind of difficult to experiment with it.  Reading the data is also going to be a problem since XBMC probably doesn't offer any means of accessing it through the http interface which is what we are currently using.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
If you can guide me to get set up with a few roms on windows with a minimum of fuss, then I'll see if I can figure something out.

Should I use MAME?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »
to open the ROM browser you can try this

XBMC.ExecBuiltin       RunScript(script.games.rom.collection.browser)

neomaycry

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
If you can guide me to get set up with a few roms on windows with a minimum of fuss, then I'll see if I can figure something out.

Should I use MAME?

James,

There are many MAME games that have been released legally as freeware.  The MAME emulator can be found here: http://mamedev.org/release.html .... and the associated freeware roms can be found here: http://mamedev.org/roms/

I will give your previous suggestion a try and see what I am able to produce.

Thanks for all the help.  It is a rarity to see a programmer working so hard to help individuals.