Author Topic: VoxCommando stops listening  (Read 1382 times)

Daniel

• View Profile
VoxCommando stops listening
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »
I don't know if I made a post of this before because I know I used to have this issue, and I don't know what I might have done to fix it before but when VoxCommando is running, it eventually just stops listening. I am not saying it switches to standby, it will still show that it is "On" but the indicator showing audio input stops showing that it hears anything. If i switch it to standby and back it will pick up audio again but why does it stop listening in the first place?

Windows actually has an icon in the taskbar tray that shows when a program is using your microphone and when this problem occurs, the icon is gone which mean VC is no longer accessing the mic which confirms it isn't listening.

I even changed the "Timer to reinitialize microphone" setting to 60 so that it checks for the mic status every minute but it still happens. It happens consistently without fail, it isn't a rare occurrence.  I want to say that it doesn't even take long. I am pretty sure I have gotten it after watching TV for like 20 minutes. And it isn't as though the microphone is turned off because I even recorded voice audio to see if it was the microphone's fault.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: VoxCommando stops listening
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 07:30:30 AM »
What kind of microphone are you using? USB?

It's probably becoming temporarily unavailable for one reason or another which severs the connection between the recognition engine and the audio stream, but the Windows speech subsystems are unaware and think they are just listening to dead air.

Your only solution may be to have VoxCommando switch off and on on some sort of interval. This would be easy enough to achieve using event timers. The challenge would be to avoid having it happen when you were in the middle of issuing a command.

Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 06:30:12 AM »
I am using a Blue Yeti Mic. So yeah, USB. When thinking about it after posting I figured it had to be an issue with the chosen USB port. I just moved to a new country and house so my setup is completely different and it was a lot more convenient to plug my mic into the USB hub of my monitor. My cable isn't long enough to reach the back of my computer so as a temporary fix I have it plugged into one of the front USBs on my case. It is more reliable now

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »

Hello, Daniel,
could you also have a look in the advanced Windows energy saving settings for the USB section?
Maybe the selective energy saving option for the USB hub is activated there.

Use the Windows search with: "edit power plan settings"

and then you will find it in the advanced settings.

see attached picture (it shows the german Windows 10, but I think you will find it)

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********