Author Topic: focus in tablet mode on windows 10  (Read 3262 times)

gavimobile

• View Profile
focus in tablet mode on windows 10
« on: October 27, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »
hi all,

My media box is running windows 10 Pro in tablet mode, however I am unable to focus on a specific window when using tablet mode. All works fine when tablet mode is disabled. Is there any workaround for this?

TIA

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: focus in tablet mode on windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
Welcome gavimobile.

Can you please clarify what exactly you mean by "focus on a specific window".

How are you performing this action when not in tablet mode?

When you try to do the same thing in tablet mode, is the problem that nothing is happening at all or does something else happen, or is there an error of some kind?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:27:10 AM by jitterjames »

gavimobile

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »
hey James,

thanks for the response and apologize for the delay in my response and not explaining myself any better.

I have a command which uses the action Window.Focus {1} followed by another TTS action which says "Window Focused". I am performing this action the exact same way as when I AM in tablet mode. I make sure any other window is set other then voxcommando and I say "focus" on voxcommando. it focuses when not in tablet mode only. when in tablet mode, I only hear my TTS confirmation response "Window Focused" but nothing gets focused on. I've attached some media for troubleshooting purposes. I've also noticed that in either modes, I am unable to focus on a window if the windows 10 tile menu is displayed. When tablet mode is off though and I say "Focus Voxcommando", ill notice voxcommando flashing in orange in the task bar on the bottom of the screen.
TIA

video with and without tablet mode https://files.fm/u/5qyyh22y

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »
To be honest, I can't think of any reason why you would want to use tablet mode on a media PC with voice control but anyway I don't think that is really the problem here.

I don't think it's possible to focus a window while the Windows start menu is open.  From my quick tests this morning this seems to be true whether or not you are in tablet mode.

Also, even when not in tablet mode and with the start menu closed, there are times when Windows decides that it won't let programs change focus.  I'm not sure why exactly it does this but I'm sure that Microsoft will tell you that it's to "protect the user".

As for work arounds I think the most obvious solution is to close the start menu.  You can get VoxCommando to emulate pressing the Windows key but the problem with that is that it will toggle the start menu which means it will open if it's closed.  So probably you'd need a separate voice command to toggle the start menu.

Another (perhaps better option) would be to use the Escape key.  This should close the start menu, and even if it has some unintented consequence depending on what you are doing it is probably not going to cause any serious problems.

Here is XML for both options:
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<!--VoxCommando 2.2.4.3-->
<commandGroup open="True" name="focus tests" enabled="True" prefix="" priority="0" requiredProcess="" description="">
  <command id="50" name="focus {1}" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>InputKeys.Send</cmdType>
      <params>
        <param>{ESCAPE}</param>
      </params>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <action>
      <cmdType>Window.Focus</cmdType>
      <params>
        <param>{1}</param>
      </params>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <phrase>focus</phrase>
    <payloadList>voxcommando, chrome, explorer</payloadList>
  </command>
  <command id="51" name="toggle start menu" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>InputKeys.Send</cmdType>
      <params>
        <param>{LWIN}</param>
      </params>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <phrase>toggle start menu</phrase>
  </command>
</commandGroup>

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 07:39:44 AM »
On a side note, if I were using tablet mode I would probably use the following settings in order to make things a bit less confusing...

gavimobile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the response. the esc key is a great idea.. I believe tablet mode is an amazing choice which promotes the simplicity of my media box. I'm not sure why you recommend both options disabled in the tablet mode settings of win 10. My settings have hide taskbar icons enabled. Are you recommending it disabled in order to keep an eye on the orange flashing of the icon in the taskbar when vc focuses on that windows?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:46:04 PM by gavimobile »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
For me it's mostly useful to know which programs are running. Also I've grown accustomed to a task bar over the last, what, 15 years? I feel uncomfortable without it!

gavimobile

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
true, does this mean you don't use android because there is no task bar? you have the button next to the start menu search for seeing background apps just like the button on android devices for seeing running bg apps. remember, this is a media box which should not to be used as desktop pc.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »
I use Android but only as a phone or tablet, not as a desktop PC or htpc.

I am comfortable with it in that context.

I still find the taskbar very useful in other contexts.