Author Topic: Alt-Tab command not getting triggered  (Read 3409 times)

drago

• View Profile
Alt-Tab command not getting triggered
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:30:36 AM »
All,

I am trying to configure VC to trigger the Alt-Tab command using InputKeys.Send action, but for some reason the command is not getting triggered. Similar behaviour is being observed for Ctrl-Alt-Del command as well.

I have tried to work with other key combinations such as {CONTROL+ESCAPE} (activates the start menu) and {CONTROL+SHIFT+ESCAPE} (activates task manager), which seem to work without any issues.

I have referred to the examples for InputKeys.Send action and tried the following key combinations:

{ALT+TAB}
{ALT}({TAB})

Similar key combinations have been tried for Ctrl-Alt-Del command as well without any success.

Any idea what could be the reason behind this behaviour?

I am using Windows 8.1. Please let me know if any other information is required.

Thanks in advance!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Alt-Tab command not getting triggered
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:27:43 AM »
Hi Drago,

Welcome to VoxCommando.

Code: [Select]
{ALT}({TAB})is correct. and works fine on Windows 7.  I have not tested it on Windows 8. Maybe it is working but not doing what you expect it to do.

I find the following much more useful when navigating Windows by voice because they present a list of windows to choose from and then you can navigate with left, right, select (enter), cancel (escape):
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<!--VoxCommando 2.1.2.5-->
<commandGroup open="True" name="keyboard tests" enabled="True" prefix="" priority="0" requiredProcess="" description="">
  <command id="1305" name="switch windows" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>InputKeys.Send</cmdType>
      <params>
        <param>{CONTROL+ALT}({TAB})</param>
      </params>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <phrase>switch windows</phrase>
  </command>
  <command id="1321" name="fancy switch windows" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>InputKeys.Send</cmdType>
      <params>
        <param>{CONTROL+LWIN}({TAB})</param>
      </params>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <phrase>fancy switch windows</phrase>
  </command>
</commandGroup>

Ctrl-Alt-Delete is never going to work because it will be blocked by Windows.

drago

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
Hi James,

Ctrl-Alt-Tab manually works, but not when configured in VC via the InputKeys.Send action.

Weird you mention that Ctrl-Alt-Del is blocked by Windows, as ideally the OS should not care whether the input is given manually or as a simulated command via InputKeys.Send action.

If this is indeed the case, then I believe that Ctrl-Alt-Tab (and Alt-Tab for that matter) is also being blocked by Windows. The command shows up in VC's history tab when it is executed, but the corresponding action does not get triggered.

Other combinations do work as I mentioned in my initial post.

Thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
You can try to disable UAC and run VC as admin to see if it makes a difference.

If you choose to use Windows 8 you can expect to encounter many roadblocks on your computing adventure.

We have no control over what Windows decides to block and what it allows.

I am using Windows 7 with UAC enabled and not running VC as admin and all my key combinations that I have tried work noramlly.  The only thing that gets blocked is Ctrl-Alt-Del which appears to be a known limitation since Vista:

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/19223-how-to-enable-the-software-secure-attention-sequence-policy-workgroup-procedure

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
Weird you mention that Ctrl-Alt-Del is blocked by Windows, as ideally the OS should not care whether the input is given manually or as a simulated command via InputKeys.Send action.

I disagree with this completely.  There is a big difference between a user choosing to perform critical actions on a computer and a program being able to do it autonomously.  From a security standpoint there is a clear black and white difference between the two scenarios.

Ultimately it would be nice if users had more finite control over what was allowed by certain programs based on their needs and level of trust.  Android has attempted to do this although personally I don't think have got it quite right yet.

drago

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:09:15 AM »
I disagree with this completely.  There is a big difference between a user choosing to perform critical actions on a computer and a program being able to do it autonomously.  From a security standpoint there is a clear black and white difference between the two scenarios.

Point taken.

I just tried disabling UAC and running VC explicitly as an admin, but still no luck with running the command.

I will do some more research to see if there is a way around this.

Thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »
There was definitely a change in Windows 8 in this regard.  I think it may be blocking quite a few keys or combinations.  Disabling UAC in Win 8 does not work the same as in Windows 7.  MS realized that everyone was disabling UAC so in Win 8 when you disable UAC you are only disabling some things and there are a lot of other things that won't be affected.

It seems that there may be a workaround in Windows 8 but I don't yet know if it requires changes to the program, changes to the user's system, or both.

There is some info to peruse here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms742884.aspx

drago

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
If this was indeed UAC related, wouldn't this action prompt for a dialog asking the user for confirmation (when triggered via VC)?

A quick test would be to keep UAC setting to default in Windows 7 and then trigger the command via VC. If it works, then there is something else that is blocking this command to run on Windows 8.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »
If this was indeed UAC related, wouldn't this action prompt for a dialog asking the user for confirmation (when triggered via VC)?
No that is not how UAC works.

A quick test would be to keep UAC setting to default in Windows 7 and then trigger the command via VC. If it works, then there is something else that is blocking this command to run on Windows 8.
It is not an issue in Windows 7 even with UAC enabled.  It is specifically a Windows 8 issue.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete is something else entirely.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »
the blocking of CTR+ALT+DEL is introduced to protect windows computers from password cracking ... in windows NT, 2000 and XP when you join a domain you have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL to unlock or log in ... I think in windows 7 and 8 when you join a domain, you have to type your name to log in ...
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

drago

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
As a workaround to Alt-Tab, Alt-Esc can be used. It enables you to cycle through all the open windows, albeit in one direction only :bonk

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
You can try the non working inputKey.send actions with the VC DXinput plugin, maybe this will work for you.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

drago

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »
You can try the non working inputKey.send actions with the VC DXinput plugin, maybe this will work for you.

I doubt it is going to work as it seems to be an issue with Windows 8 and not VC per se.

fox87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
Have come up with how to make Alt-Tab ?