Author Topic: New user to voxcommando...average time to generate xml?  (Read 6527 times)

xtacbyme

• View Profile
New user to voxcommando...average time to generate xml?
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:59 AM »
Voxcommando has been stuck at loading for quite some time (over an hour) is this normal for first time setup? (our family/business has over a tera and a 1/2 of music/soundclips)

If we plan on using Voxcommando on multiple PC throughout our home (all pc connected to same Jriver server) is it possible to run voxcommando on all pc's but have all pc's use the same xml file stored on NAS location?
the idea would be so that all pc's have same commands learned, generating would perhaps be instant, and everything would be in sync throughout the whole home?
Thanks.. excited to try this out!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:12:49 AM by xtacbyme »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: New user to voxcommando...average time to generate xml?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »
Yeah, that sucks!  It sounds like you have quite a large library which is most likely the issue.  Typical load times after doing gen XML are less than 5 minutes. Much longer than that and it may be frozen.

In the past I have seen problems start to arise at about 40000 titles or more.  How many actual songs do you have?  The number of items is what matters, not the total file size.

Usually the time consuming part is not generating the XML but actually processing this information into the voice commands.  You say it is stuck at loading, but can you be a bit more precise about this please?  Did you generate XML from the main menu? Did it give you a report on the number of items it found, and then freeze?

Poorly tagged songs can also cause problems.

Would you mind sending me the JRPayloads subfolder that contains the payload XML files you generated?  If it is easier you can zip up your entire VC folder.

I have some free time later today if you are interested in some direct support.  There are some ways to improve your odds.  The most obvious is to remove the command for playing songs by title. This is usually the most resource hungry command.  You can still use all other ways of queuing songs like artist, album, genre, or playlist name.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:37:46 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
If we plan on using Voxcommando on multiple PC throughout our home (all pc connected to same Jriver server) is it possible to run voxcommando on all pc's but have all pc's use the same xml file stored on NAS location?
the idea would be so that all pc's have same commands learned, generating would perhaps be instant, and everything would be in sync throughout the whole home?
Thanks.. excited to try this out!

Yes and no.  Normally it won't really be an issue since loading doesn't really take that long.  You can do a genxml on each machine about once a week.  If you customise commands you can easily copy your voicecommands.XML to other systems so that they all use the same phrases.

In theory you could do a file sync between machines.  It would probably work OK, but I can't guarantee it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:35:34 AM by nime5ter »

xtacbyme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
Well, i let it run all night... still stuck on loading.

I kind of figured it was a size issue :) Actually our library(audio/images/video) is quite big (over 7 hundred thousand), Audio itself over (6 Hundred Thousand)  no where near the size of some of the people @ Jriver. (there are quite a few folks/businesses I've ran into throughout the years that are well into the MillionS.

I can say our Audio name tags (song name) are not tagged very well at all. some Artist\Album\Name, some track #\Artist\Album\Name, some Artist\Name, some just song name... Our Artist, Album tags however are not as bad.

How i ran into the problem I posted...
following your installation Tutorial, I installed Vox, verified jriver plugin settings/success, then i went to GenXML and chose Jriver.. in about .07 Seconds it gave me this (which is where i believe in your demo/tutorial you stated it can take some time.) but in your video demonstration the loading only stayed up for a few seconds.

at this point in time it's still at Loading. (not noticing any alarming resource problems)
Being we do have a larger library we are use to the longer then normal wait times when compiling/indexing (in Jriver building thumbnails/analyzing audio etc can take quite a few hours)but once all compiled, searches/and thumbnails load instant for us.)

Would you mind sending me the JRPayloads subfolder that contains the payload XML files you generated?  If it is easier you can zip up your entire VC folder.
We'd be happy to, where would you like it sent?

Yes and no.  Normally it won't really be an issue since loading doesn't really take that long.  You can do a genxml on each machine about once a week.  If you customize commands you can easily copy your voice commands.XML to other systems so that they all use the same phrases.

In theory you could do a file sync between machines.  It would probably work OK, but I can't guarantee it.
Thanks, i'll tackle this if I can get voice working for our size library (The ability to call something up by voice in a large library would be such a time saver! Personally for our family having to call up a specific song i don't think would be a big deal (we all mostly listen to playlists, or genre by ratings. Hardly ever one specific song, and if one would need a specific song, at least using voice to get to that specific Artist(S) album and then using voice commands such as play album dark side of the moon. would def suffice... but obviously if the ability to call up a specific song were to be possible, This would be Uber cool!

Thanks for quick reply Jitterjames

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:18:15 PM by xtacbyme »

xtacbyme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
just now received a popup in taskbar, that i was unable to copy ( i should have screen cap'd it) but after hitting ok, Vox restarted and now i'm seeing Warnings/errors during build in voxcommando's history.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
1/2 million songs... Ouch

Well, the fact that you have 33678 artists and only 135 album artists tells me everything I need to know about the quality of your tagging. Also, having more artists than albums is not a particularly good sign...  :biglaugh though I guess you could be partial to movie sound tracks and other compilations.

Still I'd like to take a look at your files.  Please zip up the payload xml files and email them to me.  You can use the contact link on the menu at http://voxcommando.com/

In any case if you have 600,000 songs there is no way VoxCommando will be able to handle that.  What we could do instead is use freeform dictation (just based on the common words in the English language).  This uses almost no extra resources and will load almost instantly but the accuracy will go down significantly.  Still you can give it a shot.  You could basically ask for songs using a keyword.  I can put something together for you to try.

One other possibility would be to only index the music from a particular playlist, where you put all your favourite songs, or possibly filter out by rating etc.  I'm not too familiar with JRiver yet though so I will have to experiment with this a bit to see if I can figure out how to do that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:10:23 PM by jitterjames »

xtacbyme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
there are a few soundtracks, and compilations. but most are individual artists/albums. (we had a member accidentally screw up our tags (album\artist (auto), and i've not had anytime to fix them :()

Email with attachments sent to your email provided via pm returned an error... This message was blocked because its content presents a potential
552-5.7.0 security issue. Please visit http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answe
552-5.7.0 r.py?answer=6590 to review our message content and attachment content
552 5.7.0 guidelines. la8si7289385wjb.94 - gsmtp

It's now sent to voxcommando.com, I've done send/receive and that email has not come back...looks like you have it

Thanks again for the quick replies, and interest in this :)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:48:13 PM by xtacbyme »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »
I'm happy to help.  Sorry that you were not able to just dive it and start using it.

Do you rate your songs?  It looks like I can filter the genXML process to only include songs rated N stars or higher.  Would that be useful?

Another option could be to use JRiver to tag songs you want to be able to use with voice commands, with a tag such as "vc", but this would require you to do some work. :(

Can you easily add a tag to songs in JRiver?  I know you can with images.

xtacbyme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
Will retouch this after the holidays when things slow down for the both of us :)
Happy Holidays!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »
The new version of VC (1.184) is available now on the download page and includes the updated JRiver plugin and configuration.

http://voxcommando.com/downloads.asp