Author Topic: XBMC Eden 11 with support audio Dolby true HD and DTS HD  (Read 121736 times)

sabgam

• View Profile
Re: XBMC Eden 11 with support audio Dolby true HD and DTS HD
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
Great Wanilton,

Will there be a way to get theses features through digital optical cable?

I know you specified certain cards but can you tell me what your using, that way I know for sure that I won't be wasting my time buying something that doesn't work.

Thanks

Sabgam

Wanilton

• View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
I Use basic card, ATI Radeon HD 5450 from XFX, this work ok...
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »
I have a couple of 5.1 96/24 flac files that I downloaded to test this special version of XBMC (thanks Wanilton)

I am using coax output from my motherboard (asus m3n78 pro with realtek sound chip).

I get 5.1 DTS sound but my amp (Onkyo tx-nr509) reports input as 48/16 not 96/24

there are so many factors and I don't really know how all this stuff works.  Maybe my amp doesn't like it, maybe I need to use hdmi instead of coax etc.  There could be a problem with the files I have.  maybe flac is not the best format...

I could not get this thing to play with 5.1 in any other program.  I tried MediaMonkey, Foobar2000, and Winamp.  I tried various filters decoders etc.
Total waste of time!

I am too lazy to try with hdmi because I have hdmi going directly from the computer to the TV and I like it that way!

A note to others:  I think Wanilton is just building XBMC with a patch applied to it.  I don't think he knows too much about the code or how it works.  If you really want advanced help or want to report bugs etc. then you should probably get in touch with the folks that are making the patch.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:23:33 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
OK, I understand a little better now.  It seems that DTS 96/24 contains a core stream of 48/16 for compatibility, and then addition information is available as an "extension" which contains extra information.  It is actually pretty complicated, but it explains how my amp was able to play it, because I didn't think XBMC would be converting it to 48/16.

from DTS website:  http://www.dts.com/DTS_Audio_Formats/DTS_Digital_Surround_PLUS_Extensions.aspx

HOW DOES CORE + EXTENSION WORK?
The original DTS engineers designed a unique, future-proof coding system that has a “Core + Extension” structure. The DTS “core” contains data for a 5.1-channel system, operating at 44.1 or 48kHz, with a bit rate of 1.5Mbps (mega-bits per second). As DTS has introduced new technologies, these new “extensions” can then be added onto the core, providing higher performance. So, if you have an older DTS-capable receiver, it will “ignore” any extensions and just decode the core — ensuring you of compatibility and very high quality. And, a newer DTS-capable receiver will decode both the core AND the most recent extension it’s capable of handling, for compatibility and even higher quality. The result: An immediate boost in quality vs. other surround formats, and compatibility into the future.

The thing is, I know my receiver is 96/24 capable, but is somehow not recognizing the extra info.  I don't know if that is XBMC's fault, or a problem with the file I have.  If someone knows of a free sample file that is known to work with XBMC at full 5.1 96/24 that would be nice.

So, my receiver is capable, but the question is, are my ears capable of telling the difference between 48/16 and 96/24.  I seriously doubt it, but my dog might appreciate it!

Wanilton

• View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
James, do you right, i am no expert in audio hd, only compiled version worked ok with audio HD (Dolby true hd and DTS HD-MA), and here I use hdmi for my receiver...
If possible send me a link with an track in 96/24, i test here for you using HDMI cable...

Wanilton
www.xbmcbrasil.net
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

sabgam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
Hi Wanilton and JitterJames,

At the present time I'm using media portal. I have it configured it to play all my DTS audio and Dolby files, however I like the look of XBMC.
I have an Auzentech soundcard using optical cable, works great until I try XBMC. DTS down mixes to 2 channels. My Onkyo receiver doesn't change to DTS - stays Dobly.
The Auzentech card is awesome no complaints when playing anything. I'm wondering if XBMC just doesn't like the card itself, or if I have to configure Windows 7 differently.
Thanks for getting back to me. I may replace my video card, just to get this working. Great work again and thanks for all the useful help.

Sebastian

giantpopples

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure spdif or optical is limited to 5.1 in 48hz/16bits compressed in either Dolby or DTS (no 5.1 FLAC since it is lossless) and stereo in 96hz/24bits.

I think that is why you can only hear the core DTS.

Going through hdmi will not have this limitations...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »
Thanks very much for the suggestion.  You are probably right about the limitation of spdif (though I'd be surprised if optical was also limited in this way), and on top of that I'm just using the yellow leads from a cheap RCA AV cable as my coax.  However,  I tried HDMI but that didn't seem to help.  It is of no real consequence.  As long as I get my 5.1 movies and CD quality audio that is what counts, and 5.1 audio is a nice bonus.  96/24 is overkill IMO but unfortunately once you go to 5.1 audio it is usually par for the course, which means the files are truly massive.

the test file I have is confusing.  It is a DTS 5.1 flac.  Flac is supposed to be lossless, but as I understand it, in this case it is acting more like a container for the DTS which is lossy, though still very high bitrate.  Honestly, it's a wonder that I can play it at all!

Really I just wanted to know if I was able to play these files and to see if I could hear a difference.  Since I can't, I will just avoid this massive format!  If anyone knows of any good sources for 5.1 gently compressed (DTS or AC3) 48/16 audio please pass it along.

I really enjoy being able to use my htpc with my receiver either turned off, or set to another audio input, so COAX is much better for me, with the HDMI going direct to the TV.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
yeah, it looks like a limitation on optical too.  Basically a bandwidth limitation.  In the case of the optical it must be a limit that was imposed to reduce cost.  That is to say, the medium would probably be capable of the bandwidth, but the circuitry is not.  In the case of my crappy coax cable I can see how it might even be physically impossible to send that much info down a single wire without errors.  This particular file is 8000KBPS, according to XBMC.

natethelen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
I have used the instructions here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compile_XBMC_for_Windows_from_source_code

to successfully compile the latest version of XBMC.  Though I do not think I am getting the AudioEngine version.  Is there another git repo or some kind of configuration changes that need to be applied to the project?

Thanks,
Nate

natethelen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 02:32:45 AM »
Re-read the thread and found it.  Sorry!

peterol

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 02:55:38 PM »
Wanilton,
do you have the time to make a new compile with a current nightly?
So we also can have some of the new features in it?
(for example Airplay)

Please?
 :)

BR
Peter

mdhd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
@Wanilton, i also need the latest master compiled. could you be so kind to post the latest compiled master?

thank you very much!

Wanilton

• View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »
Sorry, Gnif, stop in september your work with audio engine HD, I look  actual version xbmc eden with Gnif version, there are a lot of changes, it´s no viable for me compile a new version.
In my tests with latest version Gnif, is not good for me, broken all audio type for me in windows 7...
I Hope Gnif, return your job soon...and fix the troubles.

www.xbmcbrasil.net
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

senthil

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
 :) doesnt look good..... some one need to take over his job atleast help him...