Author Topic: Amulet Voice Remote  (Read 73265 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Amulet Voice Remote
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »
I have great news for owners of VoxCommando who have not already purchased an Amulet Remote.  I have been discussing a deal with the folks over at Amulet Devices.

It is not 100% official yet, but I hope to be able to offer a coupon exclusively to owners of VoxCommando that will entitle them to a significant savings on the purchase of an Amulet Remote.

I will post more official details as soon as I have them!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
OK.  Here are the official details.

If you own VoxCommando (or buy it) you are entitled to an exclusive discount off the purchase of an Amulet Remote.  You will instantly save $40 off the retail price.   Contact us for the coupon code.  i n f o @ v o x c o m m a n d o D O T c o m

The current retail price (at the time of this post) is $149.00 USD  As an owner of VoxCommando user you will save over 25%

If you don't own VoxCommando and you don't intend to buy it (madness! ::club), we can still offer you a special coupon worth $20 just for visiting our website, which you have already done!

I don't have the actual $20 coupon code at the moment but I'll post it today or tomorrow.

edit: coupon code to save $20 -  AMDVOX2549
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:03:44 PM by jitterjames »

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
The remote control by amulet is perfect for use with voxcommando, and this price is very good, very well done,  Mr. James

;D
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
OK the coupon code for a  $20 discount is:

AMDVOX2549

If you own VoxCommando and you want the $40 discount, please contact me and I'll give you a coupon code.

Coupon codes can be applied when purchasing from their online site:

http://www.amuletdevices.com/index.php/Buy-Now.html
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:04:46 PM by jitterjames »

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
That puts the Amulet at about 50% below where I bought it.   :(  However it is a great product and works very well with Vox Commando.  It was worth the price I paid and a great value now!  I hope they are giving you a cut, James. :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
I believe at that price you are not paying all that much more than the actual cost to make it.  I don't know how much it costs to make but it is expensive.

I am not getting a cut.  However, the Amulet is such a great fit for VoxCommando that I am happy to promote it and happy to see the price come down to where more people are willing to buy it.  Also the $40 coupon is a good incentive to buy VoxCommando (to get the extra $20 savings on the remote) so in that sense I stand to benefit directly from the promotion.

shango

• $upporter
  • No English flag :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
Anyone had one shipped to the UK? Their wesite says shipping to US, Australia and New Zealand only :(

Might like to buy one but I'm in 2 minds, on one hand it seems pointless having voice control if you have to pick up the remote anyway, on the onther hand it is probably the only realistic option other than a headset which isn't practical and still picks up unusual commands when volume is loud.

If they don't ship to the UK then it's not really an issue anyway I guess.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
Anyone had one shipped to the UK? Their wesite says shipping to US, Australia and New Zealand only :(

Might like to buy one but I'm in 2 minds, on one hand it seems pointless having voice control if you have to pick up the remote anyway, on the onther hand it is probably the only realistic option other than a headset which isn't practical and still picks up unusual commands when volume is loud.

Hi shango, this link is the only way, if you do not plan to travel to USA or have a friend in it.  ;)

http://www.bundlebox.com/

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »

Hey Shango,  bundlebox is probably your best bet.  Don't forget you get a $40 coupon for amulet if you own a copy of VC.

Try contacting eddy from amulet.  The company is based in Ireland, so it seems crazy that they don't ship to the UK, but I guess it all comes down to licensing costs for them.

My philosophy of VoxCommando and remotes:

I try not to view VoxCommando as a replacement for a remote, but as an extension of one.  I still use my remote for the arrow keys and volume control all the time.  It is WAY better than using voice control for those types of things.  But adding VC is like adding 1000s of buttons on your remote, and you don't need to find them (just remember the words) it works in the dark and allows you to jump directly to the content you want.  But when I don't know what I want, when I'm just browsing through my content, I always use the remote.  Then there are the added features of VC that aren't necessarily directly related to speech recognition.  The ability to create macros, control lights, get TTS feedback on the weather, email, now playing etc.  It also allows you to do a lot of stuff that would otherwise be impossible with a remote, if you are in another room or you want to leave your TV off.  I also think it's fun to use to try to find cool new ways to automate stuff.  EventGhost is also a wonderful tool for that kind of thing, and VC and EG work well together.  If you accept that you need a remote anyway, having the remote and the microphone in one device just makes sense.  There are of course times when I wish I had a comfy headset (like when I'm doing the dishes and listening to music) and in those cases there are options, though none is quite perfect unless you want to spend a bundle.

In the end, I think we still need our remotes.  People that want to use VC to eliminate the need for remotes will usually, ultimately, be disappointed.  IMO. :)

* If you have a good remote anyway  and a way to interface it with your pc, it is easy enough to create a mute/listen button for VC and use a good open air microphone like a conference mic

shango

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
Thanks guys, The double shipping costs using bundlebox will be countered with the VC coupon so not worried about that.

Will look at it some more once the next release comes out with a bit more Mediaportal control built in as this is my primery media center, have just been giving XBMC a try, while it has some nice sleek skins it's lacking in features compaired to Mediaportal and I've had a complete nightmare trying to get artwork recognised in it, Mediaportal handles artwork much better than XBMC so will be sticking with it.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »
I think it's ultimately a matter of personal preference.  I used mediaPortal for a long time, but switched to XBMC when the windows version of it came of age, because at the time it was a better fit for VoxCommando.  I think if you use a TV tuner and want to record shows then yes, mediaPortal is the way to go.  Since I don't use a tuner I'm not forced to use MediaPortal and I prefer XBMC, but that's just my opinion.  Probably you find XBMC difficult to manage because it is less familiar.  I feel the same way about MP.

shango

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »
I agree, its just what you are used to. Mediaportal v XBMC discussion is as much good as a PS3 v XBOX discussion.

Got a message back from Eddie saying the Amulet hardware is only approved for sale in the US, Australia
and New Zealand and recommended bundlebox so may go with that once the next VC comes with better mediaportal support and the updated MPTVseries plugin.

Any idea of a time frame for your next release James?

Looking at your convo with damian on TV series project page "show unwatched episodes of X" wont be do-able but pretty much everything else should be there?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2012, 08:15:32 AM »
I agree, its just what you are used to. Mediaportal v XBMC discussion is as much good as a PS3 v XBOX discussion.

Got a message back from Eddie saying the Amulet hardware is only approved for sale in the US, Australia
and New Zealand and recommended bundlebox so may go with that once the next VC comes with better mediaportal support and the updated MPTVseries plugin.

Any idea of a time frame for your next release James?

Looking at your convo with damian on TV series project page "show unwatched episodes of X" wont be do-able but pretty much everything else should be there?

Well, I'm not sure if it's safe to say "everything" but we will be able to jump to the top page of a show, or a particular season of a show, yes.  Also I think we can directly play a random episode of a show, or play the next unwatched episode.

I'm also adding a few commands from MPWifi that were missing.  I'm also adding a "serial" command where you can enter your custom JSON string for MPWifi in case anything is missing or something gets added to MPWifi.  So for example if you want to send a key using the serial command you can do it like this:

MpWifi.Serial  {"Type":"key",   "Key":"h"}

edit:  timeframe... soonish  ;)  I've set end of January as the abolute latest, but I hope to release something much sooner than that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:21:59 AM by jitterjames »

shango

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »
I did do a test by going outside my house and down the street a bit, and I did not get too far before it died (maybe 40 or 50 feet from the receiver).

and it's -10 degrees Celsius out there!

:o

Actually I conducted the test when I first got the remote...   >:D

Do your neighbours think you are some sort of nutter standing out in the icy street talking to a remote control? :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
Do your neighbours think you are some sort of nutter standing out in the icy street talking to a remote control? :)
I think they already suspected...  :P

One of my neighbors is the fire chief, so he's always talking into a little box too.  :biglaugh