Author Topic: Voice command to rescan MP database  (Read 1767 times)

shango

• $upporter
  • No English flag :(
    • View Profile
Voice command to rescan MP database
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
Is it possible to create a voice command to rescan my MP databases for when i have added new files as VC currently cant find them ?

I'm not actually sure even what I need to do to get them added manually, I think I normally 'build missing grammars' but i notice in the MPscan plugin I can rescan my MP databases

Cheers

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Voice command to rescan MP database
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
Is it possible to create a voice command to rescan my MP databases for when i have added new files as VC currently cant find them ?

I'm not actually sure even what I need to do to get them added manually, I think I normally 'build missing grammars' but i notice in the MPscan plugin I can rescan my MP databases

Cheers

Edit -> Create a new command -> double click on it -> Add Action -> MpScan.GenerateAll (or Select Action from Tree -> Plugin Actions -> MpScan -> GenerateAll)

For rescanning the databases manually, being in VoxCommando's main screen, go to Plugins -> mpscan -> "scan and generate"

Hope it helps ;-)

shango

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
Helps very much thank you.

So what does build missing grammars do?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »
It does exactly that.  It builds missing grammars.  No really.  :biglaugh  OK.  Even though it does exactly what it says, it does need clarification.  Even I get confused when I think about it sometimes.

It is a bit complicated to explain but here goes:

First of all it helps to know that any "Group" becomes a "Grammar" as far as the speech engine is concerned.  Each Grammar can be pre-compiled.  This process can take quite a long time, especially for large grammars (e.g. play artist commands etc.).  Once it is pre-compiled though, it can be loaded very quickly.  These cache files are stored in the srgs folder.  If you delete that folder, it is the same as "clearing the cache".

When you start VoxCommando it will always rebuild any missing grammar caches too, automatically, except that you have to wait for it to build the missing grammars before you can use VC.  If you are using VoxCommando and you choose build missing grammars, it will do it in the background and you can keep using VC normally.

Grammars need to be built if they are missing (there can be a number of reasons for this), or if the grammar depends on a payloadXML file that is newer than the grammar cache, presumably because you have used GenXML to update the data in the payloadXML file.  But you might have edited a payloadXML file by hand or used some other method like a VC action.

When you use the GenXML options from the main menu, the rebuild usually happens automatically so you usually won't need to use this "Build missing grammars" menu item.  When you edit your command tree it usually will rebuild automatically too, but not always so in some cases this command can come in handy.  Most people, most of the time, won't need it.  The same is true of "Purge Cache".  You usually don't need it.  But if things are "funny" you can purge cache, which will delete all the grammars from the cache, then you can rebuild missing grammars.

I hope this makes a reasonable amount of sense!  Thanks for listening to me ramble.

shango

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, good to get a little bit more of an understanding of how it works.

I'm generally pretty good with PC's day to day but VC brings things I've never had experience with so it's great to learn more about it.