Author Topic: Voice Shaper helps to improve setup in open-air mic system  (Read 3975 times)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Voice Shaper helps to improve setup in open-air mic system
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »
here is another interesting software ... that helped me improve my open-air mic results by applying equalizer to my voice ...

http://www.dxatlas.com/vshaper/

equalizing the incoming sound in the mic is very very important in improving the accuracy of VC in open-air mic setup ... human voice lies within approximately 300 Hz to 3400 (for speech purposes) so filtering anything that is outside that range means VC will hear only what it needs to hear ... as well it might help enriching the speaker voice if it is natural characteristics are not very helpful for SR (ex, my voice is naturally kind of muffled, so I used EQ to boost the middle range)  ...

I found that a bell shape setting is a good start ... with lower and higher frequencies are set to 0. To calibrate and fine tune, audacity (or any sound recording) is a good help by recording the commands given to VC then hearing it back to have an idea about how the computer is hearing the speech.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:50:09 PM by Haddood »
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

LilFonky

• View Profile
Re: Voice Shaper helps to improve setup in open-air mic system
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:11:23 AM »
Thanks for this, I'll try it out soon ...  ;D

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »
Sorry for reviving old topic, but the below may be the case for others too.

I am trying this software and I was creating a profile, I've been able to equalize my voice correctly, resulting in a better recording.
But it seems the software is usefull with vox commando ONLY if you have two sound cards (or sound devices), one for the microphone and another for the output, which may be the case of you guys who use a USB microphone (being the USB mic detected as another sound device on Windows).

It seems I'm supposed to have a microphone connected to one of the sound cards, which will be processed by the voice shaper software and then played through the line out of the same sound card. Then the line out of this first sound card should be phisically connected to the line in of the second sound card. Then in Windows recording settings, I should set the default recording device as the second sound card line in.
If I have only analog microphones physically connected to the mic in input on my sound card, I can't see other way of using voice shaper.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong or confirm.

Thanks!

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:46:30 PM »
Not really.... There is couple of software that provide virtual cables ( they are both mentioned in the forums) ... One of them is free but offers one cable only which is enough ... Here is how your setup should be

Mic ----> voice shaper ---> virtual cable in -------- virtual cable out --> VC
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:04:42 AM by Haddood »
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:42 AM »
Thanks!
I used VAC 4.1 and it worked.